Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

23 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

And as this continues, we have ourselves 'a program'.  Earl talked about Ford's development of a program, continually recruiting, finding players, then adapting his style to the players he has on the roster.  To me that is what a modern coach has to do to survive.  Players will be having increased mobility going forward, SLU will need to keep its players happy, and make them want to come to Chaifetz to play.

mhg

And of course we need the briefcase fillers to continue to do their part so Box and me can make our deliveries. Don't discount our importance

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Now I'm thinking about Jimerson at the 2 and Perkins at the 3 coming off screens all night and I'm working up a bit of a chub.

Went out to lunch, all my dad wanted to talk about was next years team. Had to keep telling him about whats going on currently. So hard to not talk about next year. 

1 hour ago, Sheltiedave said:

Kern has the relentless drive that Goodwin has, but his physical tools are in the mold of an athletic slasher, while Goodwin is a 6’3” power forward. Kern has a faster first step, is a physically confident player, and a better handle at the same point in high school.

Kern is a very good Hargrove type player, who I see as adding 20 pounds in college and being a bear at small forward. Goodwin started out where Hargrove and Kern could end up.

Keep in mind our bully ball was extremely effective because we had to slow the pace, and limit possessions, due to years of less efficient offense, poor shooting, and guards that could not push hard.

Now we have the wing shooters, we have a point guard who can relentlessly push pace, and we are closing in on yet another slasher/finisher who can punish teams on the break.

We will need a rim protector, but speed and toughness can serve as capably as bully toughness. A 6’9” tower can be the enforcer, with Bell being the space eater bully holding forth on the other side of the lane.

SDave, who is the slasher/finisher we are closing in on?  Since you put this into the maybe category, it couldn't be Strickland but doesn't he fit the description also?

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

To add on to your add on: the whole point of stacking classes is that your next leader is already on the roster.  If you're looking to find Goodwin and French's immediate replacements in the 2021 class, you're hustling backwards.  The next great Billiken squad will operate quite differently from this one, because the "next men up" are dramatically different players than Goodwin and French.  It will be a guard-dominated, outside shooting team.  Then when those guys graduate, we may well revert back to bully ball, depending on who we get in 2021 and 2022.

And we need to keep in mind, that the rise of "bully ball" rose out of necessity - the aftermath of S2.  It just so happened that the three players involved were perimeter-oriented guards - with two being excellent shooters. Ford had assembled a pretty balanced roster a couple years ago.  I feel confident, Ford will continue to try to assemble well-balanced teams - addressing weaknesses when they pop up due to graduation or other circumstances.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

your next leader is already on the roster.  ...  The next great Billiken squad will operate quite differently from this one, because the "next men up" are dramatically different players

I like this thinking.  I've been pleasantly surprised ith Collins, and he will be a terrific player for us; but obviously so different from JG & HF.

And maybe that's what it takes these days to be consistent year to year--gearing the team to the current leaders.. I  Need some sunglasses, pass the beverages!

14 minutes ago, bauman said:

SDave, who is the slasher/finisher we are closing in on?  Since you put this into the maybe category, it couldn't be Strickland but doesn't he fit the description also?

Kern has been a steady and constant interest, on both sides. He has been at all the games I have seen, and he would look great on the court wearing blue for another four years.

We will have little trouble packing the ‘fetz if we close the recruiting deal on two or three local players. Kern is our best fit at Vashon, and he sees a great fit. Hopefully Ford will close the deal.

bauman likes this

35 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

Kern has been a steady and constant interest, on both sides. He has been at all the games I have seen, and he would look great on the court wearing blue for another four years.

We will have little trouble packing the ‘fetz if we close the recruiting deal on two or three local players. Kern is our best fit at Vashon, and he sees a great fit. Hopefully Ford will close the deal.

-both sides have to want the deal

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

watch the tip that goodwin had in the first half.  he actually missed the ball with his right hand and reached back and got a bank in tip with his left hand all in one motion.   it was pretty unbelievable when watched in slo mo

Almost have to watch in slo-mo to see it. I missed in real time.

3 hours ago, ACE said:

And we need to keep in mind, that the rise of "bully ball" rose out of necessity - the aftermath of S2.  It just so happened that the three players involved were perimeter-oriented guards - with two being excellent shooters. Ford had assembled a pretty balanced roster a couple years ago.  I feel confident, Ford will continue to try to assemble well-balanced teams - addressing weaknesses when they pop up due to graduation or other circumstances.

Well said.   Hernandez by all accounts was an above average shooter.  Thor was a late, last minute reach/attempt which did not work out -- too big of an adjustment, needed time to adapt and gain strength - but instead, faced the complete opposite as he became quite ill and lost size and strength, arrived late/had no time to adjust and things simply did not work out.   This year, again, Coach Ford tried to moderate bully ball with Jimerson (who this time had the extra time to develop/gain strength and mature with his prep year, who had the size, who did not have need the same amount of adjustment), who nonetheless faced challenges, who seemed to overcome them rather quickly but who then broke a bone in his foot and was gone for the year.   Also, tried to moderate with Tay Weaver (who has sure helped but whose size and skills limit him from puttign the entire team on this back) - and hence here we are, back where we are, back where we were last year  - some perimeter shooting but heavily dependent on interior scoring.   

Moving forward, TJ alone will be good from the perimeter next year, Perkins has already improved and no doubt will improve and be good from the perimeter next year, Jimerson will be good next year, Yuri and Goodwin will both improve their perimeter games next year, Jacobs will be better at all aspects of the game next year - including 3 point shooting - plus we have 2 new guys!!

4 hours ago, almaman said:

Almost have to watch in slo-mo to see it. I missed in real time.

True, it was amazing tip in. I thought TJ made the shot and even slowing down the replay you can’t see JGood tipping it in.

There was one view they showed in slo mo where I finally became convinced that JGood made the bucket.

almaman likes this

"Moving forward, TJ alone will be good from the perimeter next year, Perkins has already improved and no doubt will improve and be good from the perimeter next year, Jimerson will be good next year, Yuri and Goodwin will both improve their perimeter games next year, Jacobs will be better at all aspects of the game next year - including 3 point shooting - plus we have 2 new guys!!"

And don't forget, French will at least double his free throw shooting percentage, fer shure.

You can make all the broad brush statements you want and then find some way to measure the results to your liking but nothing inbetween the quotation marks is a given.  Let's enjoy the moment and wait and see next year next year.

kmbilliken likes this

• 2 weeks later...

WKU landed 5-star Mitchell Robinson in 2017. He showed up in the summer, registered for summer classes, worked out with the team, and left after two weeks.

Then they landed 5-star Charles Bassey in 2018. Had a nice freshman year, came back for his sophomore year this past season, and went down with a knee injury in December. His timetable is 6-9 months. Some thought he would go pro this summer.

So there is at least precedent under Rick Stansbury to land 5-star recruits, and Harmon is from the area. Certainly raises some eyebrows, though.

31 minutes ago, Pistol said:

WKU landed 5-star Mitchell Robinson in 2017. He showed up in the summer, registered for summer classes, worked out with the team, and left after two weeks.

Then they landed 5-star Charles Bassey in 2018. Had a nice freshman year, came back for his sophomore year this past season, and went down with a knee injury in December. His timetable is 6-9 months. Some thought he would go pro this summer.

So there is at least precedent under Rick Stansbury to land 5-star recruits, and Harmon is from the area. Certainly raises some eyebrows, though.

Stansbury has also gotten several 4* recruits as well. Stansbury was always a great recruiter but man he is on another level at WKU. 

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/three-point-play-not-much-left-in-2020-jordan-nesbitt-two-in-chicago 

A well-built and athletic wing, Nesbitt actually spent most of his junior season playing point guard and his versatility on both ends of the floor is a huge selling point. He took an official visit to Nebraska in the fall, has been to nearby Saint Louis and most recently was at Illinois. They have all offered, as has DePaul, Iowa, New Mexico and Ole Miss. Memphis and Texas have been expressing more interest here lately.