Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

2 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

That plus STL Christian. 

Plus a mid-season transfer from Prolific Prep. And he's originally from Dallas. It's a lot of moving pieces to go with a list of schools under investigation.

That said, these are the first major programs that offered him, for the most part.

When it's all taken together, though, it's fair to wonder.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

That plus STL Christian. 

I have so many questions about that school. But you are right, a kid from Dallas who transfers to Prolific Prep in Napa, California then to St. Louis Christian and comes out with a short list which includes LSU and Arizona certainly raises some questions. Again, all of these things could very well be on the up and up, just raises some questions.

That said, the kid looks legit.

On 2/12/2020 at 6:41 AM, 3star_recruit said:

Nicholas Kern getting it done against Davion Bradford and Mehville last night.  Finished with 18 points and an uncharacteristic 10/10 from the line.  He's tough to stop off the dribble so consistently knocking down free throws would take his game to another level.

Bought my tickets for the Vashon CBC game tonight. Going to stream the Bills while I'm there. While at Vashon buying tickets Fletcher and Kern were both in the lobby. They both looked excited for the game tonight. Anyone else going to be at Grand and Cass tonight to see them play Caleb Love?

TheChosenOne likes this

3 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

. Anyone else going to be at Grand and Cass tonight to see them play Caleb Love?

You know, just looked it up And I don’t think I ever realized that vashon is a few blocks from Slu’s campus.

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

You know, just looked it up And I don’t think I ever realized that vashon is a few blocks from Slu’s campus.

I've been going to Vashon games since I was pretty little with my Dad. If I remember correctly when Polk was a senior the St. Louis High School All Star game was held there. Watched him dribble up the court with his knees. Funny just a handful of years later he was the girls basketball coach at McCluer North while I went to school there. Being so close I've really been baffled at how we have basically been unable to recruit from Vashon in the past 15 years.  I'd have a coach at every practice we're allowed at.  It's barely further than Miller Career Academy. Regardless I'm just looking forward to watching the #1 Small School play the #1 Large School. I'll try to snag some highlight clips if I can. On another note. myself being 5'6, I could not tell a difference in height between Kern and Fletcher. They are both stupid tall and lanky. Seemed to be generally goofy and lighthearted dudes too. 

16 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

I've been going to Vashon games since I was pretty little with my Dad. If I remember correctly when Polk was a senior the St. Louis High School All Star game was held there. Watched him dribble up the court with his knees. Funny just a handful of years later he was the girls basketball coach at McCluer North while I went to school there. Being so close I've really been baffled at how we have basically been unable to recruit from Vashon in the past 15 years.  I'd have a coach at every practice we're allowed at.  It's barely further than Miller Career Academy. Regardless I'm just looking forward to watching the #1 Small School play the #1 Large School. I'll try to snag some highlight clips if I can. On another note. myself being 5'6, I could not tell a difference in height between Kern and Fletcher. They are both stupid tall and lanky. Seemed to be generally goofy and lighthearted dudes too. 

I guess if you have never seen Kern play before tonight it might be too small of a sample size, but I would be interested in Kern's shooting ability.  My impression is that he is a very similar athlete to Hargrove.  Does he show the ability to shoot from 15-22 ft, in a similar manner to Jacobs?

I hope any 1-3 position (PG-SF) players we recruit are all well above average shooters and any PF recruits are above average in either or both shooting or rebounding.  And while we are at it, it would be swell if they can make FT's at 70% plus, minimum.

Just now, bauman said:

I guess if you have never seen Kern play before tonight it might be too small of a sample size, but I would be interested in Kern's shooting ability.  My impression is that he is a very similar athlete to Hargrove.  Does he show the ability to shoot from 15-22 ft, in a similar manner to Jacobs?

I hope any 1-3 position (PG-SF) players we recruit are all well above average shooters and any PF recruits are above average in either or both shooting or rebounding.  And while we are at it, it would be swell if they can make FT's at 70% plus, minimum.

I've only seen Kern play via live stream, Twitter highlights,  and their games from the Bass Pro tournament on ESPN. I'll try to keep all of this in mind while watching!

43 minutes ago, bauman said:

Kern is similar in size, athleticism, ball-handling and slashing ability to Perkins.  He's good at getting to the line.  He's not a good free throw shooter yet but has shot it better the last couple of weeks.  The jumpshot is a work in progress.  

There aren't any well above average shooters in the local 2021 class that are 1) available and 2) performing at a high level.  Jaden Jones is the best shooter but he's already eliminated us.  Jordan Nesbitt is the best player in the class -- I would would rate him as a slightly above average shooter.  KJ Lee has a reputation as a good shooter but his shot is really streaky and he's been surprisingly average from the line.

The staff is recruiting plus shooters at the 1/2 position, but they're not local.

Kern has a good high school slasher handle, knows how to body into bigs when driving, and has serious quick hops. In the Mehlville game he was guarding Davion on the basket side, shoulder to shoulder, with a Vashon guard playing immediately in front of Davion. 
I would say Kern is every bit the athlete TJ is, with a quicker jump. Vashon spreads shots, so you can’t tell from a few games what his proficiency is.

10 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

Kern has a good high school slasher handle, knows how to body into bigs when driving, and has serious quick hops. In the Mehlville game he was guarding Davion on the basket side, shoulder to shoulder, with a Vashon guard playing immediately in front of Davion. 
I would say Kern is every bit the athlete TJ is, with a quicker jump. Vashon spreads shots, so you can’t tell from a few games what his proficiency is.

Kern is definitely a quicker jumper but I don't think even the Vashon coaching staff would say he jumps as high as Hargrove.

1 hour ago, bauman said:

Right now most of Nick's points come from attacking the basket.  He's very good at running the pick and roll but they don't run it much at Vashon.  Great rebounder.  He has good form on his jumper just needs to develop more confidence in it.  I agree with @3star_recruit.  He's similar to Javonte in the ways he mentioned plus Nick is more physical.  I wouldn't put him on Hargrove's level of athleticism yet.  This should be a great game tonight.

4 minutes ago, Pistol said:

CBC was up 9 at the end of the third. Kern was a monster in the second half, from what I'm seeing.

He's been figuring it out these last few games.  That was the best game I seen him play.  During one stretch he had a chase down block...collected it and went coast to coast for the and 1.  And he took the challenge of guarding Love for some stretches of the game and did quite well.

My takes from the Vashon-CBC game

Kern: Shot well from the free throw line tonight. Know I've heard he isn;t a good shooter. Form looked good and didn't seem to miss too many
Solid finisher and had multiple up and under reverse layups avoiding blocks. 
Blocked a couple shots. Met at least one person at the rim and impacted shots all night.
Good handle. Not the tight handle of a point guard, but good for a 6'5 slasher. Creative and and pretty smooth with his dribble in the open floor.
Looks like he can be a threat from three. Made quite a good percentage in warm ups. Not the same as in game, good form  but not a super fast realease. 
Very active defender. Took the challenge of guarding burger boy Caleb Love happily when he had to. Long and physical. Definitely has the ability to be an elite defender. 
MEAN rebounder. Grabbed boards aggressivly. Boxed out well. Got fouled a couple times getting offensive rebounds.
My favorite thing about Kern, is his mouth and attitude though. He didn't stop talking the entire game. Vashon lost a little bit of grit with Kobe Clark being in foul trouble alot of the game. Kern was talking to his own players, running his mouth a little to the CBC players too. Real competitors attitude. 

Larry : Already an above average three point shooter. Good form. Looks the same every time.
Active defensively. Gets hands on passes and in the pocket of ball handler regularily. Going to have a lot of steals in the next two years. 
He seems to always be calm no matter what. This could be good and bad. Doesn't get too fired up and doesn't seem to get too down either. 
Doesn't rebound aggressively. Will have the ability to grow into his length and athleticism. But essentially needs to get a little meaner on the glass.
Could work on finishing at the rim. It should come though. Especially after Love graduates. They don't have him put the ball on the floor very often. Only saw him take maybe two shots at the rim.

Robert Martin: FAST
Not kidding he's one of the fastest players I've ever seen in high school basketball. Also never saw him out of control. 
Essentially  gets into the lane and by defenders at will. Made some nice passes, but nothing flashy or along the lines of the passes I saw from Yuri in high school yet. 
Hit a big pull up three. 
Stayed in front of ball handlers defending the point. Lots of potential. Hope he grows a couple inches. 

Bills_06, NH, drkelsey55 and 2 others like this

41 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Thank you coach I really enjoyed the video during my lunch break.