Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

My guess as to who Stuen is seeing in Indy:

Jalen Blackmon - G, 6-2, 160 - Marion, IN (Marion) - AAU: All Ohio Red (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @Jalenblackmon1
Offers: Houston, Miami-Ohio, Akron.

Interest: Saint Louis, Xavier, Butler, Wake Forest, Michigan State, Ohio State, Indiana, Purdue, Texas Tech, Kentucky, SIU-Carbondale, Indiana State, Belmont, Ball State, Toledo, Illinois-Chicago, Middle Tennessee, Holy Cross, Lamar, Western Illinois, Southern.

Latest News: Blackmon has been playing well in the Team Focus Back to School League. (9/19/19)

Scouting Report: Blackmon is a big-time scoring guard who can absolutely fill it up from anywhere. He's a high-volume three-point shooter with a quick stroke. He has incredible feel for the game and tremendous vision. He can handle the ball and find his teammates. He reached 1,000 points mid-way through his sophomore season. His father is the head coach of his high school team and was the Mr. Basketball runner-up to Steve Alford in 1983, his oldest brother played at Indiana and is the state's 13th all-time leading scorer, and his other older brother is a sophomore at Indiana. Rankings: 247Sports: 121, 247Sports Composite: 184.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Pistol said:

My guess as to who Stuen is seeing in Indy:

Jalen Blackmon - G, 6-2, 160 - Marion, IN (Marion) - AAU: All Ohio Red (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @Jalenblackmon1
Offers: Houston, Miami-Ohio, Akron.

Interest: Saint Louis, Xavier, Butler, Wake Forest, Michigan State, Ohio State, Indiana, Purdue, Texas Tech, Kentucky, SIU-Carbondale, Indiana State, Belmont, Ball State, Toledo, Illinois-Chicago, Middle Tennessee, Holy Cross, Lamar, Western Illinois, Southern.

Latest News: Blackmon has been playing well in the Team Focus Back to School League. (9/19/19)

Scouting Report: Blackmon is a big-time scoring guard who can absolutely fill it up from anywhere. He's a high-volume three-point shooter with a quick stroke. He has incredible feel for the game and tremendous vision. He can handle the ball and find his teammates. He reached 1,000 points mid-way through his sophomore season. His father is the head coach of his high school team and was the Mr. Basketball runner-up to Steve Alford in 1983, his oldest brother played at Indiana and is the state's 13th all-time leading scorer, and his other older brother is a sophomore at Indiana. Rankings: 247Sports: 121, 247Sports Composite: 184.

Wonder if dad is looking to be an assistant coach somewhere?

Shane Dezonie - SG, 6-4, 175 - Jersey City, NJ (Huntington Prep, WV) - AAU: PSA Cardinals (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @iamshanedezonie or @ShaneDezonie
Offers: Saint Louis, La Salle, Rutgers, Ole Miss, Temple, Tulane, Iona, Hartford.

Interest: Villanova, Xavier, Georgetown, Seton Hall, Virginia Tech, Iowa State, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Connecticut, Tulsa, Yale, Eastern Michigan, Old Dominion, UAB, High Point.

Latest News: Dezonie received an offer from SLU. (9/27/19)

Scouting Report: Dezonie is a tough, competitive combo guard. He's strong and smart with the ball in his hands and knows how to create space for himself to score. He catches the ball on the move and is hard to stop when he's going to the rim. He's an excellent defender. He's also smart, on and off the court. He transferred from Hudson Catholic to Huntington Prep between his sophomore and junior years. Rankings: Rivals - 76, Prep Hoops - 128, 247 Sports - 95, 247Sports Composite - 82, Future150 - 61.

20 hours ago, almaman said:

I haven't heard of that 2 sport combo very often. I would think it may be less taxing than the more common FB/BB combo.

All sports are seemingly evolving into year round sports.   The weather keeps baseball a Spring/Summer sport but indoor training facilities allow for year round play/training. Football is still a traditional Fall sport only -- and no real "club" or AAU league exists.  But soccer is close to being year round as kids simply go indoors for indoor soccer/futsol to supplement their Club Soccer seasons which are in both the Fall and Spring. . To play high level soccer, I would sure think a kid must play Club Soccer and I would sure think that baseball's Spring/early Summer schedule would conflict a lot with Club Soccer.  Exceptions can always be made, but most club level type coaches (in all sports) don' t like or tolerate part-time players.

On 9/28/2019 at 7:01 AM, courtside said:

SLU was at DeSmet's open gym this week... as were Creighton and several MVC schools. Gassama, Keita, etc....Loyola Chi was there for 6'4 guard Thomas Redmond. (an elite soccer player too)

Kansas St., Cincinnati, and Illinois St. were there earlier in the week and Illinois St. offered Gassama and Keita

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this would be worth cross-posting here:

Local recruiting at the mid-major level is more of a feast or famine proposition.  When you have plenty of playing time to offer, you have a counterpoint to offer top 150 recruits: "Hey, instead of fighting to get off the bench for a middle of the pack Big 10 team, come and be a major contributor at a rising program right away." But we just brought in one of the largest recruiting classes in SLU history and the local 2020 class is incredibly top-heavy.  So we have all these conditions going against us:

1.  We don't have much playing time to offer a top 150 guard out of high school.  Given the choice between being a rotation player at a mid-major or a high-major, a recruit will pick the high-major most of the time.

2.  A top 40 guy has his choice of high-profile programs.  Unless that guy has an intensely personal connection with SLU, you're not even getting that guy's attention.

3.  Top 100 bigs are always hard to land at the mid-major level.  Everybody is courting those guys, including bluebloods.

I think the staff did a good job of being realistic about their options.  They shot their shot with Kasubke and Bradford and it didn't work out.  They did their due diligence with the other top recruits and moved on quickly.

The local 2021 class isn't nearly as top heavy and currently projects like this:

Jordan Nesbitt 6'6 SF Top 100

Yaya Keita 6'9 PF/C Top 200

Sekou Gassama 6'10 PF/C Top 200

Nick Kern 6'5  SF Top 250

The good news is that we will have more playing time to give.  The bad news is that, so far, there isn't much depth in this class. 

Coach314 and Zink like this

17 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I thought this would be worth cross-posting here:

Local recruiting at the mid-major level is more of a feast or famine proposition.  When you have plenty of playing time to offer, you have a counterpoint to offer top 150 recruits: "Hey, instead of fighting to get off the bench for a middle of the pack Big 10 team, come and be a major contributor at a rising program right away." But we just brought in one of the largest recruiting classes in SLU history and the local 2020 class is incredibly top-heavy.  So we have all these conditions going against us:

1.  We don't have much playing time to offer a top 150 guard out of high school.  Given the choice between being a rotation player at a mid-major or a high-major, a recruit will pick the high-major most of the time.

2.  A top 40 guy has his choice of high-profile programs.  Unless that guy has an intensely personal connection with SLU, you're not even getting that guy's attention.

3.  Top 100 bigs are always hard to land at the mid-major level.  Everybody is courting those guys, including bluebloods.

I think the staff did a good job of being realistic about their options.  They shot their shot with Kasubke and Bradford and it didn't work out.  They did their due diligence with the other top recruits and moved on quickly.

The local 2021 class isn't nearly as top heavy and currently projects like this:

Jordan Nesbitt 6'6 SF Top 100

Yaya Keita 6'9 PF/C Top 200

Sekou Gassama 6'10 PF/C Top 200

Nick Kern 6'5  SF Top 250

The good news is that we will have more playing time to give.  The bad news is that, so far, there isn't much depth in this class. 

Xavier at DeSmet open gym yesterday. 

27 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Should have included Tommie Williams from Belleville West in the potential list.  He's another guard in the Jordan Goodwin mold - not a good shooter but passes, rebounds and defends well. 

Williams at this point is no where near what goodwin was as a rising senior.   Nice player but id wait to spring to see what he turns inton

19 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Williams at this point is no where near what goodwin was as a rising senior.   Nice player but id wait to spring to see what he turns inton

Which is why I included him in the "potential" category.  I was just trying to give a sense of Williams' playing style to those who haven't seen him play.

• 2 weeks later...

Ola Ajiboye - PF, 6-9, 185 - Chicago, IL (Von Steuben) - AAU: Team RWA - Twitter: @ola_ajiboye1
Offers: Saint Louis, Illinois-Chicago, Chicago State.

Interest: Tulsa, SIU-Carbondale, Florida Atlantic, Toledo, Eastern Michigan, Milwaukee, Mercer, Louisiana-Monroe, North Dakota, UC-Davis, NJIT.

Latest News: Ajiboye received an offer from SLU. (10/24/19)

Scouting Report: Ajiboye is a long, athletic, stretch four. He's an active rebounder and a force on the defensive end, defending aggressively and using his instincts, timing, and length to block and disrupt shots. He has a face-up game offensively and hits mid-range and three-point shots. He gets to the basket with long, strong steps, solid leaping ability, and the ability to maneuver and switch hands. He runs the floor well with a long stride and plays hard all the time. He has a long, slender frame but is still growing up and out.

-Huge upside here. He does a lot of things well already and has skill to build upon. He's about 6-8 or 6-9 now but wears a size 17 and is only 16 years old, so I'd be surprised if he's done growing. 3.5 GPA. We're smart to get in early on this one.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Ola Ajiboye - PF, 6-9, 185 - Chicago, IL (Von Steuben) - AAU: Team RWA - Twitter: @ola_ajiboye1
Offers: Saint Louis, Illinois-Chicago, Chicago State.

Interest: Tulsa, SIU-Carbondale, Florida Atlantic, Toledo, Eastern Michigan, Milwaukee, Mercer, Louisiana-Monroe, North Dakota, UC-Davis, NJIT.

Latest News: Ajiboye received an offer from SLU. (10/24/19)

Scouting Report: Ajiboye is a long, athletic, stretch four. He's an active rebounder and a force on the defensive end, defending aggressively and using his instincts, timing, and length to block and disrupt shots. He has a face-up game offensively and hits mid-range and three-point shots. He gets to the basket with long, strong steps, solid leaping ability, and the ability to maneuver and switch hands. He runs the floor well with a long stride and plays hard all the time. He has a long, slender frame but is still growing up and out.

-Huge upside here. He does a lot of things well already and has skill to build upon. He's about 6-8 or 6-9 now but wears a size 17 and is only 16 years old, so I'd be surprised if he's done growing. 3.5 GPA. We're smart to get in early on this one.

-hope our Chicago folks have their briefcases of cash ready

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2019 at 7:01 AM, courtside said:

SLU was at DeSmet's open gym this week... as were Creighton and several MVC schools. Gassama, Keita, etc....Loyola Chi was there for 6'4 guard Thomas Redmond. (an elite soccer player too)

If Redmond keeps working, SLU soccer may need to take a look. 20 yard pass, in the air, full stride, heads it 10 yards upper corner. Geez. Not bad. Not bad at all. (he had 2 of his team's 3 goals in a playoff win last night) 

9 hours ago, slufanskip said:

I think we pulled the offer

There is literally no way to tell what offers are still valid and which have been pulled. If I'm keeping track of every offer, I have to see them through to the end.

It's safe to say Griffin wasn't coming here. It's also safe to say that pulled or not, SLU would've accepted a commitment from him.

8 minutes ago, Pistol said:

There is literally no way to tell what offers are still valid and which have been pulled. If I'm keeping track of every offer, I have to see them through to the end.

It's safe to say Griffin wasn't coming here. It's also safe to say that pulled or not, SLU would've accepted a commitment from him.

If you tracked only 3 stars and below from out of state, you'd make your life a lot easier. When's the last time we got a blue chipper from out of state?

almaman likes this