Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jordan Shorter - SF, 6-5, 180 - Fort Lauderdale, FL (Fort Lauderdale) - Twitter: @jshorter24

Offers: Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Florida, South Florida, Florida International.

Interest: Tulane, Florida Gulf Coast.

Latest News: Shorter received an offer from SLU. (5/1/19)

Scouting Report: Shorter is a dynamic, athletic wing with big-time scoring and playmaking ability. He's got a big, strong frame and actually dropped some weight. He has good handles and gets to the rim in transition or in half court, and finishes strong. He rebounds well and plays through contact. He's tough and fearless, playing with a lot of energy.

-So it seems like we're recruiting a few specific AAU programs in Florida. We have offers out to Wesley Cardet and Jordan Shorter from Team Breakdown. The 2020 kids play for Team CP25 (Chandler Parsons' team). Someone asked if we were recruiting Ford's former UK teammate Jamal Mashburn's son - he's a 2020 prospect on Team Breakdown. It's a crowded pool but an offer wouldn't be surprising.

• 1 month later...

Trey Patterson - SF, 6-8, 207 - Somerset, NJ (Rutgers Prep) - AAU: Team Rio (Under Armour Association) - Twitter: @_treypatt3
Offers: Saint Louis, Xavier, Georgetown, Seton Hall, Wake Forest, Maryland, Rutgers, TCU, Florida, Auburn, Tennessee, UCLA, Cincinnati, UConn.

Interest: George Washington, La Salle, Villanova, St. John's, Duke, NC State, Notre Dame, Indiana, Kentucky, South Carolina, Stanford, Tulane, Colgate, Penn, Columbia, Marist, Rider, Denver, Bryant.

Latest News: Patterson received offers from Xavier and TCU. (6/17/19)

Scouting Report: Patterson is a super talented wing with great size and versatility. He breaks down defenders off the dribble and is a good finisher. In addition to ball handling ability, he has great vision and is dangerous in the open court. He's developed his jump shot considerably in the past year and has range out past the perimeter. He sees himself as a guard in the long term and has been building out his guard skills. Rankings: Rivals - 40, Prep Hoops - 20, 247Sports - 15, 247Sports Composite - 21, Future150 - 6, ESPN - 31.

7 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Maybe our new assistant is from Florida? 

I was thinking the same thing.

I am probably wrong but I would think SLU would have a better chance of getting a recruit from the North East than the South East based on media coverage.

Dallan (Deebo) Coleman - SG, 6-5, 195 - Callahan, FL (West Nassau) - AAU: E1T1 (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @deebo923
Offers: Saint Louis, Georgetown, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Florida, Tennessee, North Florida, Campbell.

Interest: Louisville, NC State, Notre Dame, Wake Forest, Kansas, Alabama, Stanford.

Latest News: Coleman received offers from SLU and Oklahoma State. (6/18/19)

Scouting Report: Coleman is a scoring guard who can fill it up from all three levels. He has serious range on his shot. He has great size and length and gets to thr rim to score, as well. He rebounds both ends well, can run the fast break, and makes excellent decisions. He was more of a point guard coming up, but then transitioned to more of a scoring role as he grew. He surpassed 1,000 points as a HS sophomore, and is the first player from his HS to reach that mark. Rankings: Rivals - 57, Prep Hoops - 47, 247Sports - 63, 247Sports Composite - 41, ESPN - 23.

22 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I remember reading that Ford has recruiting ties in Florida, so that's probably the source of these offers. Ford signed Henriquez and has made numerous other offers to Florida players. 

29 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

David Lee new assistant confirmed (Blue font).

on a very slightly more serious note, I wonder if Brad Beal could ever do at SLU what Penny is doing at Memphis. He’s got the AAU connections for sure. Obvious difference is that Beal didn’t play for us. He’s still an STL guy through and through

i’ll awake from dreamland now 

Deep South basketball outside of some of the basketball academies in Florida is centered around Kentucky.  Ford's dad's camps not just brought all the best from Kentucky but all over the South.  So yes Ford has deep ties to coaches from FL, GA, MS.  It has been pretty recent that deep south schools got good at basketball.  Most players from down there have gravitated towards charlotte, Lexington, Louisville, Cincy to play or get looks from schools outside of the south.

Looking at our last 16 offers - 13 for 2020 and 3 for 2021 - 6 went out to FL players, 2 to NC, plus offers to VA, AL, and AR. That's just over 2/3 to the Southeast. (The ones immediately preceding these were a couple NY kids in 2020 and the DeSmet bigs in the 2021 class.)

We've recruited parts of the Southeast before and have Hankton (NC) and Jimerson (VA, FL) on the roster. We've seen some small spikes before - like offering 5 Boo Williams kids at once a couple years ago, or offering a few FL kids after an AAU event last year. It's never been such a dramatic concentration of our overall recruiting, though, nor has it been for such a sustained period (the past 6-7 weeks, in this case). I'm interested to see if it continues, and how dramatically, and how serious we are about these particular players.

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

David Lee new assistant confirmed (Blue font).

on a very slightly more serious note, I wonder if Brad Beal could ever do at SLU what Penny is doing at Memphis. He’s got the AAU connections for sure. Obvious difference is that Beal didn’t play for us. He’s still an STL guy through and through

i’ll awake from dreamland now 

Dave just got married to Caroline Wozniaki in Tuscany but I'm pretty sure being hired as a SLU assistant would be the greatest day of his life.

How about the first ever dual-head coach: Bradley Beal and Jayson Tatum.