Chris May

Cheddar Bear

I was just wondering what others take is on Chris May?  I really don't see him as a successful and positive model for SLU.  I mean he hasn't built anything facility wise, couldn't get SLU into the Big East, the volleyball team is horrible, and it seems like raising money is a problem because people don't seem to like him or trust him.  I know some former employees that don't like him  and they left SLU on a positive note so their comments are not negative because they were forced to leave.  Some students have also expressed their dislike for him as well as his girlfriend.  Anyone else get negative comments about Chris May?

billikenfan05 and thetorch like this

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Cheddar Bear said:

I was just wondering what others take is on Chris May?  I really don't see him as a successful and positive model for SLU.  I mean he hasn't built anything facility wise, couldn't get SLU into the Big East, the volleyball team is horrible, and it seems like raising money is a problem because people don't seem to like him or trust him.  I know some former employees that don't like him  and they left SLU on a positive note so their comments are not negative because they were forced to leave.  Some students have also expressed their dislike for him as well as his girlfriend.  Anyone else get negative comments about Chris May?

He's a total joke. Just look at the baseball stadium it's bush league He's done nothing to raise the level of the facilities He's not a likable guy. The softball team and soccer teams are at a disadvantage because the facilities are terrible. He couldn't raise money for new lockers at Chaifetz, which is starting to show its age, run down! People in the department are leaving for D-2 schools rather than stay at SLU. The volley ball team plays in a high set up it's a practice gym it's disgraceful The guy needs to be summarily dismissed tonight!  Nothing changes if nothing changes! Chris May has also interviewed all over the country and NO ONE will hire him. To all of you who think I'm making all of this up do your homework and you will see how right I am about this. Time for the BILLIKENS to move on and upward It won't happen with this guy! 

Edited by Gratis
thetorch and Billy Ken like this

I have no idea if AD is a bad guy, however he has outlived the typical life span of a college AD at one place, especially SLU. I am not going to comment on rumors and attacks. I do think it's fair to debate and ask questions about the current state of the program and what it ultimately wants to be. Big East? I do think facilities need upgrades, Chaifetz is great but a lot of things have changed since it opened and updating/keeping current might be in order. Xavier just upgraded their arena and it's not that old. All of this takes two things university support and people giving money. That's where I would judge an AD, can they raise money? If the department is so disfunctional then I'm surprised university doesn't know about it, however SLU has quite a lot going on. IF AD really is interviewing that isn't strange in athletics profession, it's one thing if institutions are reaching out to him, now if he's actively perusing other jobs, then I'd have an issue if I was university leadership. Easy solution is Dr. Pestello talking to anyone internally and externally about current state of department, alumni, coaches, staff, etc. Maybe this stuff is true and maybe it's just a troll trying to stir the pot, either way look into it and find out, then move on. Businesses do this all the time. My biggest concern is the soccer program. Great win today but it's not a top 50 program and has really gone off the rails over the years. Plus, you can't even blame an AD for athletic department issues, this ultimately is Dr. Pestello and the university board responsibility. IF it's that bad, the burden is on them to fix it. Thank god for Travis Ford! Again, great win tonight! Go Bills!

Billikenswin likes this

He got Travis Ford who is in a secret contract during a time when our budget is a huge concern. This isn't a sports school that needs athletic notoriety to get students. Just look at this year's record freshmen class. It's easy to blame the AD when you're not winning championships but you can't win everything all the time

11 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

He got Travis Ford who is in a secret contract during a time when our budget is a huge concern. This isn't a sports school that needs athletic notoriety to get students. Just look at this year's record freshmen class. It's easy to blame the AD when you're not winning championships but you can't win everything all the time

I agree with alot of your points.

d

24 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

I have no idea if AD is a bad guy, however he has outlived the typical life span of a college AD at one place, especially SLU. I am not going to comment on rumors and attacks. I do think it's fair to debate and ask questions about the current state of the program and what it ultimately wants to be. Big East? I do think facilities need upgrades, Chaifetz is great but a lot of things have changed since it opened and updating/keeping current might be in order. Xavier just upgraded their arena and it's not that old. All of this takes two things university support and people giving money. That's where I would judge an AD, can they raise money? If the department is so disfunctional then I'm surprised university doesn't know about it, however SLU has quite a lot going on. IF AD really is interviewing that isn't strange in athletics profession, it's one thing if institutions are reaching out to him, now if he's actively perusing other jobs, then I'd have an issue if I was university leadership. Easy solution is Dr. Pestello talking to anyone internally and externally about current state of department, alumni, coaches, staff, etc. Maybe this stuff is true and maybe it's just a troll trying to stir the pot, either way look into it and find out, then move on. Businesses do this all the time. My biggest concern is the soccer program. Great win today but it's not a top 50 program and has really gone off the rails over the years. Plus, you can't even blame an AD for athletic department issues, this ultimately is Dr. Pestello and the university board responsibility. IF it's that bad, the burden is on them to fix it. Thank god for Travis Ford! Again, great win tonight! Go Bills!

These two trolls are idiots of the first order. Chris May does a great job under difficult circumstances--a situation which faces every private university--involving limited resources and competing demands. He works closely with the Board of Trustees and many donors to raise money for the Athletic programs. He hired some great coaches, including Travis, Lisa and the women's soccer coach among others. He works long hours and interacts very well with the University leadership. There are many other things he does which I will not detail but these two idiots have no idea what they are talking about.

CBFan likes this

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

But none of his points rebut anything said previously. Nobody is saying anything about win loss records. It’s about providing adequate environment for your coaches to thrive in. Is Chris May providing that is the question. 

Find someone with a magic wand that can say abra cadabra and boom have a sports school like UW Madison aka Wisconsin. That can't happen and firing coaches all the time isn't the answer. 

Title 9 honestly hurts private schools so if that changes maybe 

6 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

But none of his points rebut anything said previously. Nobody is saying anything about win loss records. It’s about providing adequate environment for your coaches to thrive in. Is Chris May providing that is the question. 

The answer is absolutely yes. I deal with many of the coaches and they are very happy with Chris and his support--particularly Travis and Lisa. You have no idea what goes on and your idiotic posts like the one about the President's wife should be wiped off this board.

HoosierPal and CBFan like this

27 minutes ago, Billikenswin said:

The answer is absolutely yes. I deal with many of the coaches and they are very happy with Chris and his support--particularly Travis and Lisa. You have no idea what goes on and your idiotic posts like the one about the President's wife should be wiped off this board.

So the highest paid coaches at SLU are happy with their boss? You don’t say!

27 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Find someone with a magic wand that can say abra cadabra and boom have a sports school like UW Madison aka Wisconsin. That can't happen and firing coaches all the time isn't the answer. 

Title 9 honestly hurts private schools so if that changes maybe 

What are you talking about? Nobody is expecting Wisconsin. Why would you compare a state football school with a private basketball school? Butler, Creighton etc are all miles ahead in facilities. You can’t argue that the baseball stadium is dog sh!t(yes they put turf in and yes that’s a great start but it’s again no better than a local high stadium, it doesn’t even have a press box. Lindenwood’s got a better facility. The Soccer stadium was finished in 99 and is getting locker Room upgrades for maybe the first time since then. The most successful soccer program in NCAA history is playing in a glorified high school stadium. 

7 hours ago, Billikenswin said:

d

These two trolls are idiots of the first order. Chris May does a great job under difficult circumstances--a situation which faces every private university--involving limited resources and competing demands. He works closely with the Board of Trustees and many donors to raise money for the Athletic programs. He hired some great coaches, including Travis, Lisa and the women's soccer coach among others. He works long hours and interacts very well with the University leadership. There are many other things he does which I will not detail but these two idiots have no idea what they are talking about.

could not agree anymore.   i think chris may does a wonderful job under the circumstances and limitation that he has to work with.   if you have a problem with facilities folks, i suggest first you get out your own checkbook and second you voice those concerns a lot high level than our athletic director.   now if the president/board tells you that chris has an unlimited checkbook to do what he want, please come back and tell us such.  Personally i think chris may is the best athletic director in my fandom (since 1978).

11 hours ago, Gratis said:

He's a total joke. Just look at the baseball stadium it's bush league He's done nothing to raise the level of the facilities He's not a likable guy. The softball team and soccer teams are at a disadvantage because the facilities are terrible. He couldn't raise money for new lockers at Chaifetz, which is starting to show its age, run down! People in the department are leaving for D-2 schools rather than stay at SLU. The volley ball team plays in a high set up it's a practice gym it's disgraceful The guy needs to be summarily dismissed tonight!  Nothing changes if nothing changes! Chris May has also interviewed all over the country and NO ONE will hire him. To all of you who think I'm making all of this up do your homework and you will see how right I am about this. Time for the BILLIKENS to move on and upward It won't happen with this guy! 

Does baseball drive revenue anywhere?  Does it at SLU?  When the school, as a whole, was laying off hundreds of people, you think the baseball field should get upgraded?  You want to upgrade the new basketball stadium?  That should be a priority?  Volleyball is your next highest priority?  Volleyball?  I think it is disgraceful any school puts any money towards upgrading volleyball facilities and then increases tuition.

Well, people can complain about anything.

I do not have enough personal knowledge of Chris May or of most of the people he interacts with to make an opinion as to how good or bad he is in dealing with his job. I do know however that people in positions like his have to make some difficult decisions and deal with limited budgets. I also know that anyone making decisions of any kind will offend or upset other people who do not like the decision made. This is inevitable. Therefore the issue of how good May is at doing his job is something that really cannot be judged by how some people have reacted to his decisions. Sometimes developing a fair amount of opposition is a sign of a job well done, after all, you cannot make an omelet without breaking some eggs.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

12 hours ago, Cheddar Bear said:

As you can see, I do not post very frequently, but I felt a need to respond to this totally misinformed statement.  Travis and Lisa Stone came to Chris May in the spring and stated that they needed to update the locker room facilities that were built to Coach Majerus' specifications.  Chris May raised over $1 Million in a few months and the formal christening of the locker rooms for the donors is on October 3rd.  By the way, that is 3 days after Mr. Rhoden is visiting the campus and he will be able to witness the improvement.  As far as the baseball facility is concerned, when he came here there was no indoor batting cage nor an artificial turf infield.  These both exist now because of Chris May.  That is a pretty good improvement for a non revenue sport.  I am a former baseball player at SLU and I really do not think a press box is going to help recruiting or play on the field.  I think money could be more wisely spent.  As someone else just mentioned, let's see you step up with your check book to improve the facilities.  Others have done so, have you?

MattyMo213 and HoosierPal like this

11 hours ago, Billikenswin said:

"There are many other things he does which I will not detail but these two idiots have no idea what they are talking about"...like the fact that I heard our Field Hockey writes thank you cards to teams that beat them and Chris May and his staff think it's   great....seriously...come on!  Who does this?  This is totally unacceptable and is an example of how to NOT run a Dev. 1 program.  This is just embarrassing!

It's not trolling if its true.  Do the leg work.  I did.

May couldn't raise money to build locker rooms so the university had to step up and pay.

Can anyone here name just three successful things May has done besides Travis Ford?

I am tired of settling for mediocre and even remotely considering that May is mediocre is a stretching compliment for May. 

I know we are a private school with problems and limitations however there are "private" universities that have hired people who can generate money and run a very profitable athletic program.  Meet us half way SLU....hire such a person and the contributions will come.  Keep May and well....

Edited by Quality Is Job 1
Remove poster's comments from quote.

9 hours ago, Billikenswin said:

Give me a minute....(laughing so hard I have to get off the floor)...

All May talks about is gratitude like TV evangelist and people that work for him should be grateful to have their jobs and yet he isn't grateful for his job, but no one else will hire him.  And if he's the best AD SLU has ever had then you are as big a sap as that person who sent money to Jim and Tammy Faye Baker.

I have no idea if May is doing all he can do with what he has. What I do know is you hear complaints from those who are quick to spend others money.  I would like to know how many who are not happy ever get a call about ponying up. I do get contacted from time to time and honestly I have to ask myself if this is what I want to give money for or do I have other priorities for the school. May is not our biggest problem. 

I see everyone saying people should put their money where there mouth is and I get it. But what is a donors money going to? There’s nothing tangible to look at and say ok there’s a plan to upgrade this or that facility. If I had the money which I don’t I would want to see the plans. Is it not the job of the athletic department to inspire donations? To sell boosters on the idea of donating large money to facility upgrade projects? Maybe I don’t see it because again I’m not the target tax bracket. 

Ex: The soccer stadium is in desperate need of upgrade. If I’m the athletic department my target for donations is twofold: season ticket holders and team alumni. The Billiken Soccer Club, led by Jay Zaber(who do an amazing job putting on alumni events throughout the year including their golf tournament) and the athletic department put on alumni reception tent. They had 40 alumni out to the game max and only about 10 from the last 30 years. It’s obvious that the department is not engaging with young successful soccer alums(I can tell you this with certainty). That’s your target audience for donations.