Bernie This Morning

Billy Ken

Let me start off by saying I am not a Mizzou fan one bit. However, Bernie interviewed Mizzou's AD and wow I was impressed. It was refreshing hearing an AD talking about raising money and wanting to be a top 25 program in every sport. He also didnt have all the "canned" answers like a lot of ADs use over and over. Also he told Bernie ask anything he won't dodge a question. I still don't like Mizzou but their AD sounds like a serious sports person and that's good for entire region. Can't wait until billikens and tigers finally play one day!

12 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

Let me start off by saying I am not a Mizzou fan one bit. However, Bernie interviewed Mizzou's AD and wow I was impressed. It was refreshing hearing an AD talking about raising money and wanting to be a top 25 program in every sport. He also didnt have all the "canned" answers like a lot of ADs use over and over. Also he told Bernie ask anything he won't dodge a question. I still don't like Mizzou but their AD sounds like a serious sports person and that's good for entire region. Can't wait until billikens and tigers finally play one day!

https://giphy.com/gifs/sleepy-sloth-this-is-me-uSGwdLt9jPouA

BigMouthBilliken likes this

4 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

I guess he should of talked about GPA and community stuff to impress you. I just thought his honesty and openness was refreshing. Especially from a Mizzou AD. I'll go back to sleep.

Apparently Sterk went to the PD to be interviewed by the sports department.  Get a load of this question and response.  He is actively discussing a football game with Illinois, but as far as SLU hoops, not on his radar.  'You'll have to ask Martin."

Q: Here in St. Louis, you will always be asked about playing SLU in basketball and Illinois in football. Any news you can share?

A: "We are in discussions with Illinois about playing a football game, and football games. It probably won't be the six straight that they had before. But we've had discussions. Hopefully we can match up our dates and get things ironed out where we can announce something in the next six months or so. It may be home-and-home. It might not be in St. Louis. That's a good (series) for us. I'll qualify football. The SLU one, you'll have to ask Cuonzo Martin on that one."

12 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Why would an athletic director be able to talk about football games but then defer on basketball games?  Seems like a double standard for such an opn, honest and forthright guy.

I'll actually defend him on that one in that basketball schedules are typically next year events that are primarily decided by the head basketball coach with input from the AD. Football schedules are typically agreed to 4+ years in advance and while I'm sure the head coach has some input given the average life-cycle of most head coaches, and particularly the likely short tenure of Barry Odom, scheduling is done by the AD.

On 9/21/2017 at 7:31 AM, kshoe said:

I'll actually defend him on that one in that basketball schedules are typically next year events that are primarily decided by the head basketball coach with input from the AD. Football schedules are typically agreed to 4+ years in advance and while I'm sure the head coach has some input given the average life-cycle of most head coaches, and particularly the likely short tenure of Barry Odom, scheduling is done by the AD.

Usually non-conference football games are  scheduled at least 5 years in advance.  Many conferences are going to 9 conference games a year for teams, leaving 3 for non-conference.  

Agreements on existing non-conference games can be broken but the school would have to pay a buyout.  So, it's not easy to restart the series like it would be with basketball.

On 9/21/2017 at 7:16 AM, Taj79 said:

Why would an athletic director be able to talk about football games but then defer on basketball games?  Seems like a double standard for such an opn, honest and forthright guy.

Because Sterk schedules football games and Cuonzo schedules Basketball. It's pretty standard