SLU Volleyball

billikenfan05

12 hours ago, Spoon-Balls said:

No excuse for our esteemed athletic director to let it come to this...

I get that this season is a disaster but it’s not like he hasn’t won with his own players. He’s put himself in a position to give him slack in his leash upto this season. After this season questions should be answered 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, willie said:

I don’t follow this but how did a team who couldn’t win a game get this far?

I can’t explain it other than saying that all A10 teams are equally terrible after Dayton and VCU. They should get destroyed by VCU today. They did have some injuries early in the season. It’s possible that they have returned or they have made personnel adjustments. 

• 10 months later...

Maybe the AD can make some calls and get somebody big time like new tennis coach. I heard a rumor that his wish list includes the head coaches at Harris Stowe, Avila, Central Methodist, Webster University and U of Phoenix. I’m kidding none of those coaches would leave for slu now. The program is laughed at and looked down upon within the local volleyball community. If it wasn’t D1 the relevancy of the program might be even with JFK High School. I say give current coach a raise and 10 more years. At least he has a pulse which seems to be the only real criteria for being the slu volleyball coach. 

16 hours ago, Billy Ken said:

Maybe the AD can make some calls and get somebody big time like new tennis coach. I heard a rumor that his wish list includes the head coaches at Harris Stowe, Avila, Central Methodist, Webster University and U of Phoenix. I’m kidding none of those coaches would leave for slu now. The program is laughed at and looked down upon within the local volleyball community. If it wasn’t D1 the relevancy of the program might be even with JFK High School. I say give current coach a raise and 10 more years. At least he has a pulse which seems to be the only real criteria for being the slu volleyball coach. 

I'm shocked that you have something negative to say about the athletic department........

• 2 weeks later...

Volleyball went 2-0 this weekend but against two very bad teams in Fordham and Rhode Island. The Fordham match was comically bad volleyball. This team cannot pass for sh*t and is very bad defensively at the net and in the back row. Kent "Teflon Don" Miller will somehow finish 3rd in a bad conference. It remains to be seen if May has had enough. My guess he's out after this year.

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Volleyball went 2-0 this weekend but against two very bad teams in Fordham and Rhode Island. The Fordham match was comically bad volleyball. This team cannot pass for sh*t and is very bad defensively at the net and in the back row. Kent "Teflon Don" Miller will somehow finish 3rd in a bad conference. It remains to be seen if May has had enough. My guess he's out after this year.

SLU and AD May are all about the $.  Paying a volleyball coach not to coach is likely a tough thing.   How much longer is on Coach Miller's contract?  Or is it an annual contract to be renewed or not each year?

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

SLU and AD May are all about the $.  Paying a volleyball coach not to coach is likely a tough thing.   How much longer is on Coach Miller's contract?  Or is it an annual contract to be renewed or not each year?

Yeah I'm not sure. I believe he's in his ninth year. It seems like Chris May when doing extensions for coaches beyond year to year he goes with 4 years. It's possible he got 4 years to start and a 4 year extension. I can't imagine he got extended after watching May at games last year

10 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Well the team has certainly been bad for nine years.  A real shame because Ann Kordes showed us what the program/team can do. 

I watched it from the inside for a year. Anne was the antithesis of Kent Miller. Young, energetic, charismatic are all words you would never use to describe Kent Miller. 

And to think that the prior coach before Ann Kordis was the Hall of Fame Marilyn Nolan who had our own Billiken girls in the top 10 of the country. Two outstanding coaches and then nine years of mediocrity poor volleyball. What gives?

And to all who on this board who only care about men’s basketball, this is another reason why SLU is not as attractive as it as it could be toward the Big East.