Off topic: Moderation

37 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Okay, FDL, what posters with inside information have stopped visiting and posting on billikens.com?  Despite your threats to leave, you're still here.  If anyone has quit, have they told you that, specifically, they've lost interest because there's a rampant anti-SLU agenda?  And who are the posters they perceive has an anti-SLU agenda and what is their evidence.  Address that, then I can respond.  Be specific; vagaries won't help.

You really don't think anyone has left? Multiple insiders have stopped posting here over the years because of this crap. And you are correct, I have not stopped posting, but I don't post nearly as often as I used to because of it.

At the end of the day, if you cared about keeping conversation focused on what the board is intended for, we wouldn't need to have this debate.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

You're good at your job and I think often hold back what you really want to say because of your position. And I think it's asinine to say someone who has been a member of the board for 12 years, posted in hundreds of game day threads abd generally been supportive of the program is not a fan or anti-SLU.

3 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

I think you do a great job.  You are impartial and do a great job of getting everyone back on topic.  You can't control the false perceptions of others. Keep up the good work ✌

LOL. Except he should be partial! This board is not intended to be for area high school and AAU coaches to come pimp their players and Mizzou agenda.

9 minutes ago, For-DaLove said:

You really don't think anyone has left? Multiple insiders have stopped posting here over the years because of this crap. And you are correct, I have not stopped posting, but I don't post nearly as often as I used to because of it.

At the end of the day, if you cared about keeping conversation focused on what the board is intended for, we wouldn't need to have this debate.

Don't be vague.  Who has left?  Did they tell you their reasons for leaving, or is it your supposition?  I care about keep conversation on what the board is intended for: it's intended for things posters want to discuss related to SLU and, particularly, the men's basketball team.  When people discuss things, the conversation tends to branch off like a broad tree.

I'm only one person, and I'm not the only moderator, nor is this something I'm paid to do.  Hence my request for additional help.  Therefore, I cannot be solely blamed for the tenor of conversations in this forum.

Thicks - Thank you for being a moderator. Certainly not a fun job but greatly appreciate you and David stepping up to help Steve out. I enjoy the grammar commentary.

That said, completely agree with FDL. This board has undoubtedly gotten clogged and many insiders have left. Some of that may be unavoidable but to the extent it's possible to cut out some of the nonsense I'm all for it. Acting like the board hasn't gotten clogged or valued posters haven't left is simply not based in reality.

3 hours ago, NH said:

Thicks - Thank you for being a moderator. Certainly not a fun job but greatly appreciate you and David stepping up to help Steve out. I enjoy the grammar commentary.

That said, completely agree with FDL. This board has undoubtedly gotten clogged and many insiders have left. Some of that may be unavoidable but to the extent it's possible to cut out some of the nonsense I'm all for it. Acting like the board hasn't gotten clogged or valued posters haven't left is simply not based in reality.

Additional help with moderation would be very beneficial.

8 minutes ago, Major Majerus said:

All the old posters I know (many) still check out the board; they just do little or no posting for their own reasons

I still have my Billiken.com shirt from maybe 20 yrs ago, with the list of some of the posters on the back side. Of the 20-30 listed on the back, maybe only handful are still active on the board. 

The board was a lot different back then.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 1:14 PM, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I agree that some Mizzou fans are annoyingly arrogant, but STLHI and C314 aren't so much Mizzou fans as they are of local players, and I don't think the perceptions most of you have -- even though it may be the majority of you -- about them are completely accurate.  And even if they were truly Mizzou fans and want to subjugate SLU, what rule have they broken such that I should censor them?

I agree heartily.  There are a few more posters that could probably be on a metz club pitch count to avoid filibustering but those two I do not see as trolls.

By the way any posters who've left including Roy (who's back,) pdiddy, backwards billiken guest, jbizzle, and whoever I'm missing strike me as the message board equivalent of people who get pissed about people who stand at the games.  No one should be trolled and baited but damn this is life where most of the time things don't go your way.  Deal with it or complain to a mod or use the damn ignore function.  Gee whiz.

This board would be better if some of those people came back but not at the cost in my opinion.......

So I'll get my 2 cents in. The question is really how do you decide who's a troll and who isn't? I don't think anyone disagrees that a legitimate troll shouldn't get the boot and Steve has booted some even as lightly as he moderates. It also seems that many of the other boards (Mizzou's included) ban you pretty quickly for an anti their school agenda. I'm a long long time poster and I know quite a few who have left but the ones I know haven't left over the Mizzou fans or an anti SLU agenda. When RM became coach and we started having success we got what seemed to be many more younger posters who attacked people with good info and they just kinda got tired of it and left. I think the moderators do a very good job. I'd probably be slightly less tolerant but that's just my opinion, it doesn't make it the right way. If posters could actually control themselves and not respond to trolls they'll go away. Do we actually need more board moderation or a little more self discipline in ignoring the trolls?

Moderation starts by using the ignore feature. Getting involved in eternal back and forth insults does not help, getting freaked out about whatever the trolls are saying just shows insecurity which is best to avoid by using the ignore feature. That said, new posters who enter this board to cause fear and spread rumors favoring their own schools agenda should at least be limited in the number of posts they are allowed. That is my opinion, there is no point to allowing threads to get choked full of anti SLU stuff. I think we need both types of actions, limitation of the number of posts allowed to disruptive outside posters bent on posting misinformation, and personal use of the ignore feature by members of this board.

I've been on a ton of basketball message boards and this is the permissive environment for boosters of other schools that I've ever seen.  Butler's message board doesn't allow allow a bunch of Hoosier fanboy posts, Marquette doesn't allow a bunch of Wisconsin fanboy posts, Xavier doesn't allow a bunch of Bearcat fanboy posts,  Rhode Island doesn't allow a bunch of Providence fanboy posts and so forth.  I can understand why this very unconventional approach to moderation would rub some fans the wrong way.

9 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

This board would be better if some of those people came back but not at the cost in my opinion.......

Perfectly said Rich.

It's not the fact that non-SLU fans come onto this Board with differing thoughts and opinions but it's the length of stay and extent of freedom they are given. 

I am reminded of our Chaifetz staff being "fair" and opening up the unused SLU student section to the MO State fans. No one is saying that someone is not allowed to buy a ticket and attend a SLU game or to come onto this Board with a differing thought, opinion or comment but their taking over of this Board and being allowed to out of fairness is not right. Moderate. Don't allow non-SLU fans to take over our Billikens board. 

Examples. I love hearing from A10 before and after our game w them but VCU's take over board and staying for months posting all about their players coaches and recruits under the guise that it is related to SLU got old. Allowing certain individuals who come to this board w agendas from anti-SLU soccer to self promotion of local AAU kids to Mizzou fans gets old. Again, it not their point of view expressed in their first 5  to 20 posts but their relentless agenda in posts 50 to 500 within a short span. Again. Moderate. 

On 9/16/2017 at 12:54 PM, For-DaLove said:

LOL. Except he should be partial! This board is not intended to be for area high school and AAU coaches to come pimp their players and Mizzou agenda.

+1

They were gone from this board until Martin got hired. Now they're very active. And look at how passionate they were recently in defending Martin. I'm not saying their Mizzou agenda should be banned - I'm happy to help expose it and most people can recognize it now, but why do they get better treatment than Glory?