Post Dispatch

willie

5 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

That is my point - if we are in a weak position then why go into it at all - we don't need the game so badly that we should ***** ourselves out to get it.  I am not interested in giving Missouri and its fan base anything to make them strut about.

Because it provides our program with increased visibility and I'm confident we'd beat them with some regularity.  Again, playing Pitt in NYC in front of 1,000 fans is nice and all, but I'd much prefer to play MU in a game that generates considerable local buzz each year.  If that means giving them an edge in the scheduling, so be it. 

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i dont want to see 1/3 of the arena filled with black and gold.   sickening. 

It would be filled with half blue in CoMo.

That’s what rivalry games are and that is what makes them so fun.

when you watch Louisville and KY it’s half Blue half red. X va Dayton is half navy half red. 

The dislike for the opponent and the back and forth between fans is why rivalry games are cool.

HoosierPal and Box and Won like this

9 minutes ago, SShoe said:

Because it provides our program with increased visibility and I'm confident we'd beat them with some regularity.  Again, playing Pitt in NYC in front of 1,000 fans is nice and all, but I'd much prefer to play MU in a game that generates considerable local buzz each year.  If that means giving them an edge in the scheduling, so be it. 

Increased visibility for whom?  We are already recruiting at an unprecedented level in the St. Louis area and attendance is on the rise.  We have a number of regional options that we can do a home and home with.  There isn't a reason to concede anything to Mizzou.

12 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-if there is an expectation that we play at Paige Sports Arena then we also have to play an equal number of games at Chaifetz or all games in such a series could be at Enterprise and I would be okay with that

playing at the enterprise center would not be good as the arena would be more black and gold than Blue and white.   the reason we built our own arena was to avoid that.   why give up one of our home games for this psuedo road game?  

cheeseman likes this

5 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Increased visibility for whom?  We are already recruiting at an unprecedented level in the St. Louis area and attendance is on the rise.  We have a number of regional options that we can do a home and home with.  There isn't a reason to concede anything to Mizzou.

While the recruiting is currently on par with Mizzou, that could easily change.  And I meant visibility from a fanbase perspective.  We need to grow our fanbase and providing games that non-alumni fans want helps do that.

HoosierPal likes this

2 hours ago, SShoe said:

Mizzou plays at least one game (it's usually a decent one) in KC every year (satisfies their KC alumni).  I'd think this would be a decent sell for them, particularly if we're still good. 

While I do think they would be interested in playing a game in KC every year, they certainly do not currently have that in place as far as I am aware. I think the last time they played in Kansas City was as part of that CBE Hall of Fame Classic a few years back. That would be an interesting way of doing it and would give me an excuse to get out to Kansas City (with the understanding that us playing there would be a one off thing).

2 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

While I do think they would be interested in playing a game in KC every year, they certainly do not currently have that in place as far as I am aware. I think the last time they played in Kansas City was as part of that CBE Hall of Fame Classic a few years back. That would be an interesting way of doing it and would give me an excuse to get out to Kansas City.

That's right. I looked back at their schedule and they played there a few times prior to the CBE games, but it was not every year.  

SLU could probably ensure they get a guaranteed number of seats for SLU fans (2-3K) so it's not all black and gold.  You may even get a few Jayhawkers who'd come to cheer against Mizzou.  

15 minutes ago, SShoe said:

That's right. I looked back at their schedule and they played there a few times prior to the CBE games, but it was not every year.  

SLU could probably ensure they get a guaranteed number of seats for SLU fans (2-3K) so it's not all black and gold.  You may even get a few Jayhawkers who'd come to cheer against Mizzou.  

Although Michael Porter's most healthy minutes in a Mizzou uniform came in Kansas City when they played KU in an exhibition game at Sprint Center. I think the last time they played a regular game in Kansas City was against Travis Ford and Oklahoma State that was a Cowboys win in OT. Isabell's biggest moment as a Tiger was hitting a 3 to send that one to OT.

Maybe the declining interest in the Braggin' Rights game could lead to that changing into some sort of showcase type event in St. Louis that would include SLU/Mizzou/Illinois and a 4th somewhat local team.

20 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

playing at the enterprise center would not be good as the arena would be more black and gold than Blue and white.   the reason we built our own arena was to avoid that.   why give up one of our home games for this psuedo road game?  

-I don't think we built our own arena so we don't have to play Mizzou at the downtown hockey arena, I don't see it as a necessity to give up a home game to play this neutral site game, I think the game would generate a lot of interest and that interest (and $$$) would be good for our team and school and if we win the benefits are even increased

5 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I don't think we built our own arena so we don't have to play Mizzou at the downtown hockey arena, I don't see it as a necessity to give up a home game to play this neutral site game, I think the game would generate a lot of interest and that interest (and $$$) would be good for our team and school and if we win the benefits are even increased

Is it better to share the revenue with enterprise center and MU or take all the revenue from a game at Chaifetz 

billiken_roy likes this

12 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Is it better to share the revenue with enterprise center and MU or take all the revenue from a game at Chaifetz 

-there is a thought that Mizzou won't play at Chaifetz so from that perspective your question is off-base, if we want to play the game(s) I am saying all of the games are at Enterprise and we have a neutral site game where we get paid equally with Mizzou

-if Mizzou agrees to a decent series where the games are on campus I suspect a lot of $99 season tickets would get sold, used by the buyer for one game and otherwise tried to be sold on secondary markets

3 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-there is a thought that Mizzou won't play at Chaifetz so from that perspective your question is off-base, if we want to play the game(s) I am saying all of the games are at Enterprise and we have a neutral site game where we get paid equally with Mizzou

-if Mizzou agrees to a decent series where the games are on campus I suspect a lot of $99 season tickets would get sold, used by the buyer for one game and otherwise tried to be sold on secondary markets

If there’s not a number lower than 26 next to our name and we agree to play MU without some sort of game at Chaifetz then the coach and AD need to be canned

21 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Why does anyone care about playing Mizzou?  Until we start winning and advancing in the tournament, it shouldn't be something SLU worries about.  Unless that happens, SLU will be in position where the terms can be dictated to them.  

I don't care about playing them at all.  I'd rather re-establish some of the regional rivalries from our Great Midwest/CUSA days.

30 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

enterprise center holds 22,000?  we rarely approach 10k at chaifetz.   i.e. the fans at the game will be AT LEAST half dressed in black and gold.   no thanks.

7 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I think SLU would have a better chance at getting a home-and-home with Mizzou.  With Mizzou already playing a neutral court game with Illinois, it might be a hard sell to get Mizzou to come back to St. Louis twice in one year when they don't go to KC for one game.

2 hours ago, aj_arete said:

I think SLU would have a better chance at getting a home-and-home with Mizzou.  With Mizzou already playing a neutral court game with Illinois, it might be a hard sell to get Mizzou to come back to St. Louis twice in one year when they don't go to KC for one game.

I just meant hypothetically 

• 2 weeks later...

While i dont like it either, they are pretty consistent with an article and a preview on game day and a summary article the day after.   Any more is unusual and unexpected.  

29 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

No articles about the Bills in the local paper this morning? I saw something about Mizery and the bottom feeding Illini program, but nothing about the local team that is currently having a potential tourney season. SMH.

One of those teams played yesterday, one plays today. Our team has the weekend off. Not a big conspiracy.

Ironbills, HoosierPal and dlarry like this