Post Dispatch

willie

1 hour ago, Spoon-Balls said:

No articles about the Bills in the local paper this morning? I saw something about Mizery and the bottom feeding Illini program, but nothing about the local team that is currently having a potential tourney season. SMH.

Missouri played last night and IL plays today.  We did not play since our Friday game.  Why would they have an article about us today?  It makes sense that they have articles on Missouri and IL.  Nobody has been more critical of the Post then me but I am sorry this is not a fair complaint.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Actually coverage seems decent this year. Ben Fred's articles have been like gravy. Stu doesn't do any in depth reporting just the pre and post game reports. 

I think our coverage has been very good. I have never bought into the Missouri conspiracy. It is simply being relevant by winning. 

White Pelican likes this

2 hours ago, willie said:

I think our coverage has been very good. I have never bought into the Missouri conspiracy. It is simply being relevant by winning. 

It has gotten a lot better. Ben Fred with good content and Hochman seems to also be engaged. I've seen him post photos of him watching games while at blues games. 

One thing that P-D does with the Tigers is Mizzou Talk -- a live chat either with Dave Matter (beat writer) or one of the columnists. An advantage Mizzou has is a somewhat larger audience of fans (and the questions they bring) due to having both a football and basketball team. They seem to do one every few days for the Cardinals during the season and weekly (at least) off-season. So the Talk/Chat format is an audience and revenue driver, no doubt.

While SLU doesn't have a football team and much of the Billikens web traffic comes here to Billikens.com, I'd like to see the P-D "test" a live Billikens chat with Stu... or Jeff Gordon, BenFred, etc. Why should they? Five reasons. First, they're easy to do. They already own the digital chat platform, of course. Second, inexpensive, too. Just an hour from our beat writer (or columnist,) and maybe an hour or two of prep. Third, with the Bills a serious contender for an NCAA birth, there could be money to be made. If an initial test is even reasonably successful, it can spur a series of regular Bills chats, each time building a bigger and bigger audience as interest in the post-season is naturally peaking -- driving clicks and ad dollars. Fourth, tie yourself to the only NCAA Div 1 hometown team. Fifth, once driven to stltoday.com, it drives additional clicks there as users browse.

And if they pre-promoted it with Steve here at Billikens.com, the PR, marketing and development teams at SLU Athletic Dept/slubillikens.com, other interested parties (as well as at stltoday,) and asked them to share/push out/spread the word via the tools they possess -- web, social media, email, message boards, etc., -- I bet it would be a success with considerable traffic driven to stltoday.com.

Why wouldn't you? It's such as no brainer. If I were them, I'd test it now, begin the audience building before it's too late.

Quality Is Job 1 likes this

• 2 weeks later...

LA times doing their best Post impersonation. 

"Meier strode past displays for baseball’s Cardinals, hockey’s Blues, the Missouri Tigers and Kansas City Chiefs. He veered away from the sections for Missouri State and Saint Louis University."

13 hours ago, wgstl said:

LA times doing their best Post impersonation. 

"Meier strode past displays for baseball’s Cardinals, hockey’s Blues, the Missouri Tigers and Kansas City Chiefs. He veered away from the sections for Missouri State and Saint Louis University."

If it was a Post impression they would have called it "St. Louis University"

On January 21, 2019 at 7:30 PM, Adman said:

One thing that P-D does with the Tigers is Mizzou Talk -- a live chat either with Dave Matter (beat writer) or one of the columnists. An advantage Mizzou has is a somewhat larger audience of fans (and the questions they bring) due to having both a football and basketball team. They seem to do one every few days for the Cardinals during the season and weekly (at least) off-season. So the Talk/Chat format is an audience and revenue driver, no doubt.

While SLU doesn't have a football team and much of the Billikens web traffic comes here to Billikens.com, I'd like to see the P-D "test" a live Billikens chat with Stu... or Jeff Gordon, BenFred, etc. Why should they? Five reasons. First, they're easy to do. They already own the digital chat platform, of course. Second, inexpensive, too. Just an hour from our beat writer (or columnist,) and maybe an hour or two of prep. Third, with the Bills a serious contender for an NCAA birth, there could be money to be made. If an initial test is even reasonably successful, it can spur a series of regular Bills chats, each time building a bigger and bigger audience as interest in the post-season is naturally peaking -- driving clicks and ad dollars. Fourth, tie yourself to the only NCAA Div 1 hometown team. Fifth, once driven to stltoday.com, it drives additional clicks there as users browse.

And if they pre-promoted it with Steve here at Billikens.com, the PR, marketing and development teams at SLU Athletic Dept/slubillikens.com, other interested parties (as well as at stltoday,) and asked them to share/push out/spread the word via the tools they possess -- web, social media, email, message boards, etc., -- I bet it would be a success with considerable traffic driven to stltoday.com.

Why wouldn't you? It's such as no brainer. If I were them, I'd test it now, begin the audience building before it's too late.

Are the Bills still a serious contender for an NCAA berth?

it wouldnt surprise me if bonner and waino are both tilky.  at stltoday it was routine for him to sport multiple monikers.  

31 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Since they were so pissed off at UNC they really threw the book at Mizzou.

7 minutes ago, brianstl said:

-I have no idea what the NCAA stands for from an academic integrity perspective, three years ago I would have said these penalties against Mizzou are so light it is laughable but with the UNC decision since then these seem extreme, the haters should take comfort that the NCAA does not see Mizzou in the golden child class with UNC

10 minutes ago, brianstl said:

This punishment seems pretty extreme given the details I've read. Especially when you start looking at some other programs that have been in hot water (UNC, Baylor, Kansas(?), etc.)

20 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

This punishment seems pretty extreme given the details I've read. Especially when you start looking at some other programs that have been in hot water (UNC, Baylor, Kansas(?), etc.)

The report basically says the punishments were different because SPUMAC owned up to the infractions and UNC didn’t. Classic NCAA.