Post Dispatch

willie

4 minutes ago, SShoe said:

Mizzou plays at least one game (it's usually a decent one) in KC every year (satisfies their KC alumni).  I'd think this would be a decent sell for them, particularly if we're still good. 

Gotcha. I was thinking an additional sprint center game for them. 

I’d make the trip to KC but i imagine Mizzou would want a B12 team. 

let’s make it happen 

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I see a lot of people say this and I think it’s ridiculous. This would be a great series and a lot of fun. 

Getting another power 5 school on the schedule would be great.

Are Mizzou and their fans arrogant A-Holes?

You bet they are and they just adds to the entertainment value. Game day excitement level for this game would be off the charts.

I think it’s silly to not want this game out of spite.

spite plus they really dont help us since both are worse teams than us.   we are increasing attendance game by game.  heck we almost had 8k vs APPALACIAN STATE!  if the season ends my with an ncaa visit the arrow is pointed up and the fans will continue to come out.   i.e. we dont need to give away tickets to arrogant mi$$ouri fans to fill the fetz.  why dont we work towards bigger games vs big ten or big 12 foes?   ohio state?   betting they would like to give EJ Liddell a trip home.   Texas to give Ramey a trip home?   the point is, continue to build the schedule get better teams.   not nearby teams that will try to overrun our fan base at the turnstiles.   if they want to play us, they can do a 2 at the fetz and one in columbia series.   othewise i dont want to see them.  

19 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Gotcha. I was thinking an additional sprint center game for them. 

I’d make the trip to KC but i imagine Mizzou would want a B12 team. 

let’s make it happen 

I'm not sure who they played recently, but I recall Xavier coming to the Sprint Center a few years ago.  

Edit - X was a tournament in Orlando.  It looks like they've played mostly B-12 games there.  

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

spite plus they really dont help us since both are worse teams than us.   we are increasing attendance game by game.  heck we almost had 8k vs APPALACIAN STATE!  if the season ends my with an ncaa visit the arrow is pointed up and the fans will continue to come out.   i.e. we dont need to give away tickets to arrogant mi$$ouri fans to fill the fetz.  why dont we work towards bigger games vs big ten or big 12 foes?   ohio state?   betting they would like to give EJ Liddell a trip home.   Texas to give Ramey a trip home?   the point is, continue to build the schedule get better teams.   not nearby teams that will try to overrun our fan base at the turnstiles.   if they want to play us, they can do a 2 at the fetz and one in columbia series.   othewise i dont want to see them.  

That is pretty cool. Benefits of having local kids and a competitive team. Should be even better next year. 

Mizzou would be a good game to play annually.  But home-and-home, nowhere else.  Ditch Enterprise.  Ditch Kansas City.  So too would adding Illinois.  It would seem to be better than adding unknown western schools (Oregon State, New Mexico, Washington) even if they pose a schedule bump (which they don't always do).  I understand you can't ditch all they buy games and I do like playing the Big East schools (by the way, anybody see Florida dismantle Butler yesterday?) but these two regional schools would be better options for SOS over SEMO, MoState, SIU and UMKC, no? But straight up ---- come to us and we'll come to you. 

dlarry likes this

A home and home. I wouldn't ditch SIU. That's a long running series. No reason to kick them to the curb. And we need 6 buy games to use as testing grounds. As we saw this year, those games weren't exactly a walk in the park. 

This was the best OOC schedule we've had in a while. Would like to see repeat: say two Beast games a year, a B10 or B12, SEC, and resume our WSU series. All would  be home and home. Also, we're going to have that MW challenge in 2020. 

Sure, would love to see a SLU v Mizzery annual game, but I think our chances of getting in the Beast is a better long shot bet. Mizzery sees us as a nothing to win and everything to lose proposition. 

4 minutes ago, slu72 said:

A home and home. I wouldn't ditch SIU. That's a long running series. No reason to kick them to the curb. And we need 6 buy games to use as testing grounds. As we saw this year, those games weren't exactly a walk in the park. 

This was the best OOC schedule we've had in a while. Would like to see repeat: say two Beast games a year, a B10 or B12, SEC, and resume our WSU series. All would  be home and home. Also, we're going to have that MW challenge in 2020. 

Sure, would love to see a SLU v Mizzery annual game, but I think our chances of getting in the Beast is a better long shot bet. Mizzery sees us as a nothing to win and everything to lose proposition. 

I’d like to see bordering state schools.

Arkansas, Oklahoma, Iowa or Iowa state would be cool.

1 minute ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Probably not the right spot for this question but since we are generally talking about local teams.

What is up with Illinois? Were they supposed to have a 4-9 season?  Is it because they are young? Anyway, I don't mind seeing them struggle. 

I’m with you.

illinois fans are just as bad as Mizzou fans.

The only difference is that they have some history of success to fall back on while Mizzou does not.

We all want P6+1 schools on our schedule.  But it will become more difficult than it already is to schedule them.  The Big East has the Big 10 challenge already and is adding the B12 challenge next year.  That is one less game they have available, and you know they will keep their buy games and look to NOT schedule a top100 NET program out of the A10 that could upset them. The Big 10 and ACC (the PAC 12 is considering it) are at 20 game league schedules, which cuts out two OOC games.  We can dream a

Best focus for now may be the AAC.  Tie in with Memphis and Cincy again.  I'm even up for resuming Missouri State. Yeah, I know the history, but I'm over it.  It is a game that is within driving distance and has been a nice rivalry.  It will put people in the seats.  Definitely keep SIUC on the schedule. Face it, we really don't have many rivalries.

59 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Mizzou would be a good game to play annually.  But home-and-home, nowhere else.  Ditch Enterprise.  Ditch Kansas City.  So too would adding Illinois.  It would seem to be better than adding unknown western schools (Oregon State, New Mexico, Washington) even if they pose a schedule bump (which they don't always do).  I understand you can't ditch all they buy games and I do like playing the Big East schools (by the way, anybody see Florida dismantle Butler yesterday?) but these two regional schools would be better options for SOS over SEMO, MoState, SIU and UMKC, no? But straight up ---- come to us and we'll come to you. 

i dont want to see 1/3 of the arena filled with black and gold.   sickening. 

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

We all want P6+1 schools on our schedule.  But it will become more difficult than it already is to schedule them.  The Big East has the Big 10 challenge already and is adding the B12 challenge next year.  That is one less game they have available, and you know they will keep their buy games and look to NOT schedule a top100 NET program out of the A10 that could upset them. The Big 10 and ACC (the PAC 12 is considering it) are at 20 game league schedules, which cuts out two OOC games.  We can dream a

Best focus for now may be the AAC.  Tie in with Memphis and Cincy again.  I'm even up for resuming Missouri State. Yeah, I know the history, but I'm over it.  It is a game that is within driving distance and has been a nice rivalry.  It will put people in the seats.  Definitely keep SIUC on the schedule. Face it, we really don't have many rivalries.

I am still not ready to forgive MoState.  I am not positive on the details of what happened, but RickMa was upset and this is the only team he ever accused of dishonesty in scheduling.  So I am not saying I am well-informed or that I am going to throw a fit if the game happens.... but I still have a strong preference to NOT schedule MoState.  I take some satisfaction that MoState probably would really like this game back to play in Saint Louis in front of a lot of their alumni, students, and future students (and recruits).

Billiken Rich likes this

i'd play it but only at the Fetz.   replace a buy game with an annual home game with Mo State.  but i wouldnt make the drive there.   They f'd this series up it's their problem.  

AGB91 likes this

36 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Mizzou admins just talk. Let's get the Memphis rivalry started again. Penny's bringing a lot of excitement back to that program and it would elevate our recruiting profile in Memphis. There's a deep pool of talent there.

Would love to get a Memphis rivalry going!

AGB91 likes this

2 hours ago, SShoe said:

I know we'd be giving them an inch here, but I'd be cool with a 4 game series - 1 in Columbia, 1 at the Fetz, 1 at Enterprise, 1 at Sprint Center (KC)

College basketball needs teams to play these types of regional games to generate buzz.  While I'm happy we got Pitt and Oregon State on the schedule, a game vs. Mizzou or Illinois would be much more fun.

Why would you ever be interested in playing in KC?  You would be giving Missouri another home game and honestly we saw what happened when we played them on a neutral site in StL the last time - that game turned into basically a 50/50 fan split with no home advantage to us but gave them a non hostile environment.  No - we play in Columbia and then we play on our campus or forget it.  I saw your comment that it would be an easy sell to their fan base to play in KC - why do we care about giving them an easy sell - who wants to help them out with us getting the short end of the stick.

42 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Mizzou admins just talk. Let's get the Memphis rivalry started again. Penny's bringing a lot of excitement back to that program and it would elevate our recruiting profile in Memphis. There's a deep pool of talent there.

In this vein I think it would be great to get Vanderbilt as well, fun places for the fan base to visit would be nice.

22 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

I am still not ready to forgive MoState.  I am not positive on the details of what happened, but RickMa was upset and this is the only team he ever accused of dishonesty in scheduling.  So I am not saying I am well-informed or that I am going to throw a fit if the game happens.... but I still have a strong preference to NOT schedule MoState.  I take some satisfaction that MoState probably would really like this game back to play in Saint Louis in front of a lot of their alumni, students, and future students (and recruits).

They had a verbal agreement with us for a renewed series but the new AD was suppose to send the contract back signed - formality once a verbal agreement is reached usually in college scheduling.  When we realized that we did not have a copy of the contract on file we called and they said that they decided not to sign it and wanted to drop the series.  RM was pissed - he said nobody had ever done that to him without at least calling and explaining the situation.  I agree SWMS can go to hejj.

SLU_Lax likes this

9 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Why would you ever be interested in playing in KC?  You would be giving Missouri another home game and honestly we saw what happened when we played them on a neutral site in StL the last time - that game turned into basically a 50/50 fan split with no home advantage to us but gave them a non hostile environment.  No - we play in Columbia and then we play on our campus or forget it.

Because sometimes you have to give a little to get a little.  I dislike Mizzou as much as the next guy, but I also recognize that we are not in a great bargaining position.  Not because Mizzou is a vastly better program, but because they--like all the power 6+ conferences--can dictate scheduling since they can afford not to have a truly tough non-conference schedule.  Unless we get into the BEast, our negotiating power is reduced.

34 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i dont want to see 1/3 of the arena filled with black and gold.   sickening. 

I agree; but I also worry there would be probably 1/2 if not more in Mizzou garb.  Would it be great to get Mizzou on the schedule, and at the Fetz.  Yes....but.  For years they had nothing to gain in playing us.  Now I think it might be the other way around.

5 minutes ago, SShoe said:

Because sometimes you have to give a little to get a little.  I dislike Mizzou as much as the next guy, but I also recognize that we are not in a great bargaining position.  Not because Mizzou is a vastly better program, but because they--like all the power 6+ conferences--can dictate scheduling since they can afford not to have a truly tough non-conference schedule.  Unless we get into the BEast, our negotiating power is reduced.

That is my point - if we are in a weak position then why go into it at all - we don't need the game so badly that we should ***** ourselves out to get it.  I am not interested in giving Missouri and its fan base anything to make them strut about.