Post Dispatch

willie

Someone in here is a bit silly.  No one is going to bet that Goodwin won't start, because they believe he will most likely start and want him to start and excel.  But the issue has never been whether he'll start; it has been whether Coach Ford promised him that he'll start no matter what and that that was a condition Goodwin made before committing.  Some of us believe he was guaranteed a starting spot unconditionally, and some of us believe a starting spot is expected but contingent upon performance.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, TFord and TRavs said:

I would love to make a bet that Jordon Goodwin starts with you. How much are you willing to bet? Put some money down please I will wipe my bank account on it

Where have you been the last year?  When did ANYONE say Goodwin would positively not start?  The issue has ALWAYS been whether or not Ford GUARANTEED a starting job, not whether he would start. 

You need to pay more attention in your Reading Skills 100 class.

41 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Someone in here is a bit silly.  No one is going to bet that Goodwin won't start, because they believe he will most likely start and want him to start and excel.  But the issue has never been whether he'll start; it has been whether Coach Ford promised him that he'll start no matter what and that that was a condition Goodwin made before committing.  Some of us believe he was guaranteed a starting spot unconditionally, and some of us believe a starting spot is expected but contingent upon performance.

Lol. "Hey top recruit SLU has ever gotten since Larry Hughes, want to come join our losing program and get some playing time. I wont guarantee you a starting spot or playing time, you'll have to earn it. There will be other players not on your level at all competing with you. Come to SLU!" Yea I will bet my arm Ford ever once told Goodwin he is going to be competing for PT

3 hours ago, TFord and TRavs said:

I would love to make a bet that Jordon Goodwin starts with you. How much are you willing to bet? Put some money down please I will wipe my bank account on it

I would love to make a bet that (assuming Gordon comes to SLU) he plays >20 MPG his freshman year. Recently you seemed very sure he would have trouble cracking the rotation, so I figure you will be all over this one.

8 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

I would love to make a bet that (assuming Gordon comes to SLU) he plays >20 MPG his freshman year. Recently you seemed very sure he would have trouble cracking the rotation, so I figure you will be all over this one.

I Believe he would crack the rotation. Just don't think he would start right away. A big 6 man to an amazing team. 

54 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

I Believe he would crack the rotation. Just don't think he would start right away. A big 6 man to an amazing team. 

Who cares about starts? What matters is minutes. 20+ MPG is much more significant than number of games started.

4 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Lol. "Hey top recruit SLU has ever gotten since Larry Hughes, want to come join our losing program and get some playing time. I wont guarantee you a starting spot or playing time, you'll have to earn it. There will be other players not on your level at all competing with you. Come to SLU!" Yea I will bet my arm Ford ever once told Goodwin he is going to be competing for PT

Pretty accurate

51 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Yeaaaaaaa.......Kids care who starts.

Yeaaaaaahhhhhhh...we're not talking about recruiting kids now. We're talking about what actually matters when the games start. Minutes played is a much better indicator of importance to the rotation. Just ask Grandy Glaze or Jordair Jett.

As a fan, I don't care about the starting five nearly as much as the top six in MPG, and I give less than a rip snort who was and wasn't promised "starting" roles during the recruiting process to sweeten a commitment. You and Glory Ravs can argue about that one at the next jerkoff pizza party.

21 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

+1

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Their coverage of the Billikens is absolutely horrendous. The one article about the Bills' biggest victory as a program since NC State was buried underneath about 4-5 articles about Mizzery's loss to Utah. 

Tweeted Jesus Ortiz about how he should of tweeted about the bills win, seeing how he followed us so closely a few weeks ago, and he proceeded to block me and update us on the situation & that he talked to the SLU AD yesterday and how he still isn't allowed to comment. 

Dudes a fuoking joke

Spoon-Balls likes this

The Post Dispatch has written themselves into a corner. They've spent months crafting a story about how awesome Michael Porter and company are going to be only for the story to stall due to injury. They've spent weeks trying to gin up a scandal at SLU and ignored the potential of the basketball team. They are going to ride that Mizzou horse until they can't ride it anymore. Here's hoping that Illinois clocks them at the rivalry game to hasten that decision.

Spoon-Balls likes this

35 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Tweeted Jesus Ortiz about how he should of tweeted about the bills win, seeing how he followed us so closely a few weeks ago, and he proceeded to block me and update us on the situation & that he talked to the SLU AD yesterday and how he still isn't allowed to comment. 

Dudes a fuoking joke

He did find time to tweet about an upcoming women’s soccer game between Texas A&M and Notre Dame.  Talk about not knowing your target audience.  Why do people wonder why establishment media is dying?

I also wish that coverage of SLU in the PD was better and more extensive. However, I do think it is unfair to blame and blame the PD. At the end of the day, they are a business. I doubt that if coverage of SLU sports got them plenty of clicks and money, they would continue to ignore it. All of us on this forum obviously care about Billiken basketball as well as some other sports. It doesn't seem as if that is the case in the city. I've seen so many people complain about the student section at games, and how the students just don't care about sports. SLU needs to fix its student sports culture first, and once there is a buzz and interest, media coverage will follow. 

This online forum is a great community of fans. I'm glad to be a part of it. I also doubt it us that drive the PD numbers. It has to be many more than us. It's going to take sustained effort and success on the court, from the marketing and athletic depts., and from alumni to make the Billikens the team of STL and really force the PD to pay attention. 

It seems to me like SLU (Athletically and as an institution) has the raw materials to be an exciting basketball program and build a great tradition. It just has to be put together. I hope that last night's win means we are on track. 

1 minute ago, 615Billiken said:

I also wish that coverage of SLU in the PD was better and more extensive. However, I do think it is unfair to blame and blame the PD. At the end of the day, they are a business. I doubt that if coverage of SLU sports got them plenty of clicks and money, they would continue to ignore it. All of us on this forum obviously care about Billiken basketball as well as some other sports. It doesn't seem as if that is the case in the city. I've seen so many people complain about the student section at games, and how the students just don't care about sports. SLU needs to fix its student sports culture first, and once there is a buzz and interest, media coverage will follow. 

This online forum is a great community of fans. I'm glad to be a part of it. I also doubt it us that drive the PD numbers. It has to be many more than us. It's going to take sustained effort and success on the court, from the marketing and athletic depts., and from alumni to make the Billikens the team of STL and really force the PD to pay attention. 

It seems to me like SLU (Athletically and as an institution) has the raw materials to be an exciting basketball program and build a great tradition. It just has to be put together. I hope that last night's win means we are on track. 

I used to think along this line.  Then I got to experience Jesus Ortiz.  His main job appears to be to write columns that will turn off as much of their target audience as possible.

You know why SLU stories don’t get the clicks the Post expects.  They have trained that target audience not to go to them for their Billiken coverage.  This board is probably the spot most SLU fans come to for their Billiken coverage.  I know a bunch of people that have never registered for this site, but come here for their Billiken news.  They do that because the Post has trained them not to go to their site for coverage.  

David Kvidahl, is a SLU alum, but rarely has anything good to say about SLU athletics.  I've had numerous conversations with him on twitter.

I don't see any articles on the Billikens from last night on the website at all.

Just now, thetorch said:

David Kvidahl, is a SLU alum, but rarely has anything good to say about SLU athletics.  I've had numerous conversations with him on twitter.

I don't see any articles on the Billikens from last night on the website at all.

He was in good form last night. It would be worth the time to go through his tweets and replies from last night.