Post Dispatch

willie

1 hour ago, Bills_06 said:

Rutherford confirmed he is going to work for the Athletic so Athletic St. Louis is starting.  

He only mentions Cardinals and Mizzou talk.  No thanks.

https://theathletic.com/94712/2017/09/06/rutherford-letter/

He said that he heard TheAthleticSTL is in the works, it’s not a done deal yet. He was hired based on their push for NHL coverage right now. 

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

How in the hell does that get plopped in the middle of an entirely SLU article? What a terrible journalist.  

18 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

How in the hell does that get plopped in the middle of an entirely SLU article? What a terrible journalist.  

I love how Hochman tries to toss one Illini bit in there to make it look like he is trying to talk about regional hoops and not just shilling for Mizzou.

8 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

That was such a stupid paragraph, it didn't even flow well, in an otherwise nice puff piece.

Agreed. If that one paragraph had been omitted it would have been a good piece. Still, what a d0uche add-in. 

13 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

it would be a fine article if the title was: Ford and Billikens look to contribute to exciting year of Bi-State college hoops

I can't stand Hochman's articles. Has to up there with the least insightful/informing sports writers in the country.

That said, in confident he does not pick the titles for his articles.

29 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

I'm about to sound a thousand years old but the sentence "Man, remember then?" was enough to remind me why newspapers are dying and journalist now ranks below lawyer on the list of respected professions.   

sounds like a lot of FAKE NEWS

2 hours ago, slufan13 said:

Good quotes about Goodwin and how much the transfers dominated in practice last year. Some on this board will have their feelings hurt about those comments. 

Reads as if Ford doesn't remember guaranteeing starting jobs.  If so, he would say that Jordan was starting, not likely starting.  Would someone fill in Coach please.

Ahh, y'all missed two subtleties in that article:

1) I could see the point of tossing in Mizzou and Illinois because of the whole "wow, 1989 was a golden year in St. Louis basketball" -- except that Hochman was eight or nine years old in 1989, so it's very doubtful that he can "remember then," man.

2) Did you see the cutline on the photo? Huh, huh, didja, didja?

"Saint Louis head coach Travis Ford watches during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game against BYU, Monday, Nov. 21, 2016, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/John Locher)"

We MBMs simply must have a recurring *****-fest about how we're actually Saint Louis University, or it just isn't the board. Insider scoop: That cutline was provided by the AP. Official AP Style is Saint Louis University. In a bit of either irony or arrogance (or both), the St. Louis Post-Dispatch is one of the few newspapers in the country to violate AP Style and go with St. Louis University, as in the lede paragraph of the article. 

Carry on. 

55 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

I'm about to sound a thousand years old but the sentence "Man, remember then?" was enough to remind me why newspapers are dying and journalist now ranks below lawyer on the list of respected professions.   

No, I don't remember a time when P-D sports columnists didn't lean heavily toward Mizzou. Hochmann is just extra douchey about it.

Just now, bonwich said:

1) I could see the point of tossing in Mizzou and Illinois because of the whole "wow, 1989 was a golden year in St. Louis basketball" -- except that Hochman was eight or nine years old in 1989, so it's very doubtful that he can "remember then," man.

I bet he absolutely remembers. This was right around the time he was becoming pen pals with Miklasz and giving his first TV interview reviewing the Tudor for Guerrero trade. Say what you will about that little hobbit, but his love for St. Louis sports is longstanding.

6 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

I bet he absolutely remembers. This was right around the time he was becoming pen pals with Miklasz and giving his first TV interview reviewing the Tudor for Guerrero trade. Say what you will about that little hobbit, but his love for St. Louis sports is longstanding.

I bet he remembers Mizzou being good. No chance he attended a SLU game.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Reads as if Ford doesn't remember guaranteeing starting jobs.  If so, he would say that Jordan was starting, not likely starting.  Would someone fill in Coach please.

I would love to make a bet that Jordon Goodwin starts with you. How much are you willing to bet? Put some money down please I will wipe my bank account on it