SLU Soccer 2017

SLUBALLS

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Please enlighten us what more the women's soccer team can do better. I hear students are craving for that

I mean honestly they can’t do better. But to applaud the marketing team for something when the women’s soccer team is probably buying the donuts and going  to the quad with donuts to promote their game by themselves is ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I mean honestly they can’t do better. But to applaud the marketing team for something when the women’s soccer team is probably buying the donuts and going  to the quad with donuts to promote their game by themselves. 

Haters gonna hate.

The women's soccer team lost to 7th seeded St. Joseph's in the first round. Seems like they are out of luck for a place in the NCAA tournament.

The men's team on the other hand beat Fordham and grabbed their 2nd consecutive win. If they beat St. Joseph's on Wednesday, they have a chance to make the A10 tournament as a 5-8 seed.

On 10/30/2017 at 11:25 AM, 615Billiken said:

The men's team on the other hand beat Fordham and grabbed their 2nd consecutive win. If they beat St. Joseph's on Wednesday, they have a chance to make the A10 tournament as a 5-8 seed.

The A-10 has had their best year in men's soccer as a conference.  They are going to be a multi-bid league (4 teams currently have RPIs that place them in).  SLU's RPI is 43 with 2 wins and a tie over tourney teams with no losses to bad teams--they would be just outside RPI based tourney bids now.  The bad news is that non-RPI factors will be against them (some bad MOV losses like 4-0 at Dayton).  SLU's Massey rating (with MOVs) is 86. Their RPI success is clearly rooted in their strong schedule (BC is in a similar position) but IF they win 3 more games they may put themselves in line for an at-large bid (I know there would be no guarantees but they would have an RPI in 30's then).  SLU's profile is not overall great as they have a poor record and some multi-goal losses to mediocre teams but they have one quality road win (Fordham), one top 10 home win, and one top 10 home tie so finishing the season 3-1 may put them in the tournament.  It is something to play for.

The A-10 in women's soccer is extremely weak.  SLU women have a worse RPI than the men--they needed to go further in their tourney.

I watched the women Saturday night ..... in typical fashion, road team scores a goal and goes turtle shell.  SLU carried the play in the second half, dominated, got nothing but a bus ride home.  Soccer sucks. 

Gee, Taj, if soccer sucks so, why did you watch it?  Because it's alma mater u. 

7 hours ago, kwyjibo said:

The A-10 has had their best year in men's soccer as a conference.  They are going to be a multi-bid league (4 teams currently have RPIs that place them in).  SLU's RPI is 43 with 2 wins and a tie over tourney teams with no losses to bad teams--they would be just outside RPI based tourney bids now.  The bad news is that non-RPI factors will be against them (some bad MOV losses like 4-0 at Dayton).  SLU's Massey rating (with MOVs) is 86. Their RPI success is clearly rooted in their strong schedule (BC is in a similar position) but IF they win 3 more games they may put themselves in line for an at-large bid (I know there would be no guarantees but they would have an RPI in 30's then).  SLU's profile is not overall great as they have a poor record and some multi-goal losses to mediocre teams but they have one quality road win (Fordham), one top 10 home win, and one top 10 home tie so finishing the season 3-1 may put them in the tournament.  It is something to play for.

The A-10 in women's soccer is extremely weak.  SLU women have a worse RPI than the men--they needed to go further in their tourney.

Nice post!  You are correct, the A10 is strong this year.  I still can’t believe VCU took down Maryland at Ludwig...amazing.  I still have nightmares related to that field...frozen tundra...

That said,  I  believe SLU only makes the NCAA if they win the A10.  Their record is simply too weak to make it in any other way....

The Billikens need to win four games in a row to make the NCAA tournament.

Going in as A-10 Conference tournament Champions. Saying Fordham is good is really a stretch don't you think?

no way do they get an at-large bid by winning three games.

No matter what their RPI would be.

12 hours ago, Gremio14 said:

Nice post!  You are correct, the A10 is strong this year.  I still can’t believe VCU took down Maryland at Ludwig...amazing.  I still have nightmares related to that field...frozen tundra...

That said,  I  believe SLU only makes the NCAA if they win the A10.  Their record is simply too weak to make it in any other way....

I do not think they would be guaranteed win if they win 3 games but I do think it would be more likely than not.  Part of that assumes they play the 1 and 4 seed (or 2 and 3 seed) in the A10 tourney.  I do not think it will be easy for this team to win 3 games in a row either but it is possible and the fact that the A10 is so strong and SLU played such a strong schedule means they could get in.  Teams with a .500 record do get into the NCAAs in soccer all the time (e.g., Boston College last year) they just need to have played a strong schedule.

Fordham has an excellent RPI and Massey rating--they will be getting an at large bid most likely so beating them on the road is a huge boost to the Billiken profile (yes, losing 4-0 to Dayton was a huge knock as well).

I know someone well connected with the Maryland program and happened to talk to him this weekend.  Coach Cirofski had told some people he thinks this is the best team he has had in over a dozen years before his team went on a 4 game losing streak.  VCU is very good and hot so they will be a tough draw for any team in the A10 but  I also suspect that Maryland will put it back together and be a tough draw in the NCAA.

I think the Bills are tied for eighth with St. Bona if they win.  The top eight teams play in the A10 tourney.

I'll stand corrected if I am wrong...

The Bonnies held on to beat VCU tonight, so the Billikens have to win tonight.

1 hour ago, WUH said:

I think the Bills are tied for eighth with St. Bona if they win.  The top eight teams play in the A10 tourney.

I'll stand corrected if I am wrong...

The Bonnies held on to beat VCU tonight, so the Billikens have to win tonight.

Luckily Davidson lost so SLU is tied for 7th.   Tiebreaker is best win against common opponents so Bonnies get 7th seed.  SLU will play UMass and VCU will play Bonnies again.

I’m not going to comment on the long term vialbility of MM one way or another; but he does appear to have the team gelling at the right time.  Three wins in a row, two of them on the road, and one of them over a team that just beat our next opponent.

And we caught a true break avoiding VCU in the first round....

Finally, reaching back to the Maryland piece of this thread, Sasha always has a dangerous team.  Can never count them out irrespective of their overall record.   I’m still miffed they eliminated the last SLU team that actually had a shot at the overall...Vedad, DiRaimondo, Grazier, etc... 

Edited by Gremio14

11 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

I’m not going to comment on the long term vialbility of MM one way or another; but he does appear to have the team gelling at the right time.  Three wins in a row, two of them on the road, and one of them over a team that just beat our next opponent.

Finally, reaching back to the Maryland piece of this thread, Sasha always has a dangerous team.  Can never count them out irrespective of their overall record.   I’m still miffed they eliminated the last SLU team that actually had a shot at the overall...Vedad, DiRaimondo, Grazier, etc... 

Mike McGinty should be fired pure and simple.

Beating Saint Joseph's to get in the A-10 tournament?

That is what it means to have the team jelling at the right time?

They will more than likely be one and done in the A-10 tournament.

Are you related to Mike?

8 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

Mike McGinty should be fired pure and simple.

Beating Saint Joseph's to get in the A-10 tournament?

That is what it means to have the team jelling at the right time?

They will more than likely be one and done in the A-10 tournament.

Are you related to Mike?

That gave me a good chuckle.  I’ve met Mike, however I’m not related to him and have never played for him, though I am close to a couple of his ex-players.  I believe whether or not MM gets sacked depends on the next few days.  If the Bills get destroyed by UMass, his career here is probably over.  If SLU goes on a run, he probably stays.

Gelling means more than simply thrashing SJU.  Beating both Tulsa and Fordham away is no walk in the park.

You appear to be a SLU supporter, albeit in a curiously negative way.  I would hope the plausible success of our soccer team outweighs any loathing you might have for Mike.....  

31 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

SInce you mentioned Sasho here is a nice long interview he gave recently on college soccer and American soccer in general (despite the fact he is Secretly Canadian!). 

https://www.socceramerica.com/publications/article/75514/sasho-cirovski-we-need-do-rediscover-our-shared-v.html