SLU, Mizzou game talk thread

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, willie said:

Are you sure about this? I thought the schools agreed to play because of the threat but it never became law. 

They played in the 1983 NCAA tourney which revived the series. Louisville won in OT in the elite 8 and then played Houston in the Final 4. That OT vs. Kentucky and then the Houston game were about as fun of 45 minutes of basketball you will ever see.

2 minutes ago, shempie said:

They played in the 1983 NCAA tourney which revived the series. Louisville won in OT in the elite 8 and then played Houston in the Final 4. That OT vs. Kentucky and then the Houston game were about as fun of 45 minutes of basketball you will ever see.

I remember the game well but doesn't answer the question as to there is a state law. 

1 hour ago, goonaha said:

They play every year. Private school vs public school in the same state. But you didn't include an actual question in between "what" and "?" so I'm only guessing on what you want to hear.

Oh were you saying Wisconsin, Marquette game? 

The University of Wisconsin system names their colleges UW-Madison, UW- Milwaukee etc

1 hour ago, goonaha said:

I guess I'm confused by the mixed reactions. Everyone on the board likes to make fun of Mizzou or gets mad at the Post for being biased, etc, but those same people aren't interested in the chance for it to become a legitimate rivalry where we can win bragging rights on the actual court? While it would never get to the level of Duke-NC or Louisville-UK, developing a rivalry along the lines of UC-Xavier or UW-Marquette would be pretty cool and good for the program.

What has happened over a long period of time was that Missouri showed us so much lack of respect and when they did play us a 3 game set years ago, we split the first 2 games and then we lost the last one on a almost half court type shot that went in for them.  We also had them beat in Columbia but we wilted the last 2-3 minutes of the game and lost.  After that 3 game set, they were all haughty and talked about that they got nothing out of the games and that they had no reason to ever play us again.  So basically what happened, some of us just said, well if that is how you feel then screw you we don't need you either.  Over the years some have simply moved on.  I also agree that we have heard this before from new coaches at Missouri - they are only saying these things for PR and many of us simply do not care anymore.

36 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Oh were you saying Wisconsin, Marquette game? 

The University of Wisconsin system names their colleges UW-Madison, UW- Milwaukee etc

Yes Travis Ford and Toasted Raviolis, I was referring to the annual matchup between the University of Wisconsin-Madison and Marquette University.

3 hours ago, hsmith19 said:

Haha. Not sure if trolling or just plain dumb, but pretty funny.

2 hours ago, goonaha said:

Yes Travis Ford and Toasted Raviolis, I was referring to the annual matchup between the University of Wisconsin-Madison and Marquette University.

Well no one calls it UW in the state of Wisconsin Hsmith. 

It was funny to me because I thought he was calling it UW- Marquette like Marquette was a part of the UW system. 

Its like calling a public California school UC and people expecting you know what they are saying. 

25 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

It was funny to me because I thought he was calling it UW- Marquette like Marquette was a part of the UW system. 

Its like calling a public California school UC and people expecting you know what they are saying. 

Thank you for clarifying that, Glorydays.

Tilkowsky:  I agree with hsmith and willie ----- Brown threatened legislation and had the votes but here is one of two articles that say as recently as 2012 legislation was threatened,but not enacted because it did not carry the weight of law:

https://www.csmonitor.com/1982/0310/031031.html  (I am hesitant to call the CSM liars!)

If Brown enacted such back in the 80's, why are we talking about it in articles dated 2012?  Did it expire?  Maybe it was an attempt to add football. Whatever the case, I am pretty sure the threat is what it wass, he had the votes,  and not an actual law.  

14 hours ago, TFord and TRavs said:

It's really not even comparable when Madison is the clear flagship of that system. Nobody outside of Wisconsin knows Whitewater, Lacrosse, etc (hell, throw Milwaukee in there too). UC-Berkeley and UCLA are very close in quality and prestige despite Berkeley being the technical flagship. Not to mention Irvine and San Diego being very good schools themselves. 

They certainly wouldn't call it UWM as that would be rather confusing with the existence of UW-Milwaukee. I suppose you've talked to everyone in the state to find out what they call it or how they abbreviate it. I certainly find it interesting that the official website uses the abbreviation "UW" if nobody says that. See this page http://www.wisc.edu/about/ to learn "About the UW." If you're interesting in a job at Madison, you could consult the website page https://working.wisc.edu/ where the title is "Working at UW." 

I get that you are trying to be a smartass and funny and all that but no need to double down. Context is a wonderful tool in the English language. When UW-Marquette (for which there is no obvious abbreviation) comes fourth in a list where I already listed "Duke-NC, Louisville-UK, and UC-Xavier), I would think people could figure out that "-" was separating two different schools in each example. 

If you don't mind more Wisconsin discussion, I'd like to add my two cents.

I grew up 40 minutes from the "University of Wisconsin-Madison." If you're talking about where people went to school, you go by city names. "I went to Madison." "I went to La Crosse." etc. "UW" is absolutely a recognized abbreviation if you're typing it. I wouldn't probably speak that, though. "UW-M" would mean UW-Milwaukee to me, but I don't know if that's universal. As stated earlier, UW-Madison is the flagship, so UW, or Wisconsin would mean that campus. 

Secondly, while the annual Wisconsin-Marquette game is big and a good thing for the state, I think it's more important that the Badgers play UW-Milwaukee and UW-Green Bay every year as well. Those are the other two D-1 schools in the state. I believe the series is 2-for-1, so the Badgers actually play them on the road regularly as well. Those games are sellouts for Green Bay and Milwaukee, and occasionally they can pull of the upset.