ESPN - The most challenging job in every state

Ridiculous article where I had to go on the website and defend the Billikens. This is far from the most challenging job in Missouri as they have top-notch facilities in a quality basketball conference. I would say their facilities are easily the top 2 in the conference and they reside in a major market with a top-notch school. What makes it challenging is the lack of a PE program (or at least that used to be the case), but Travis Ford is showing that this is a program that can attract talent.

I would have said either UMKC or SEMO would be the most challenging in the state.

There's so much inconsistency in that article that I shouldn't have wasted my time commenting, but had to add one more. Even if you're limiting it to Power 5 conferences, there's no way Illinois is a more challenging job than Northwestern. Just because Northwestern is currently better, that's only because they have a great coach. Even if facilities are subpar, Illinois has too much history and lesser entrance requirements to rate below Northwestern.

I haven't read the article — and don't feel motivated to — but perhaps it could be read as a sort of most-underrated list.  It's more exposure for the schools on the list for casual fans.  Kind of, like, "There's no such thing as bad publicity; just make sure you spell my name right."

13 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I haven't read the article — and don't feel motivated to — but perhaps it could be read as a sort of most-underrated list.  It's more exposure for the schools on the list for casual fans.  Kind of, like, "There's no such thing as bad publicity; just make sure you spell my name right."

Maybe read the article before theorizing about the content?

Actually, after reading the article, one could say any publicity is good publicity.  Rather than feeling attacked, I saw it as something that makes us more relevant.  Think of all the D1 programs in the state and ours was picked as being more relevant and  one that could be looked at on par with the state's flagship school.  All the other ones that were not mentioned basically were not worth mentioning for all in intents and purposes at least according this article.  Look at some of the schools on the list - UConn, IL, Butler, to name a few - to be lumped in with them has some value.

I don't think the article means "challenging" as in most difficult school at which to win.  I think the article is trying to balance "most difficult school at which to win" and "fan bases with high expectations for winning".

SLU is difficult because Majerus gave fans a taste of winning a lot, so it is challenging to follow that up.  I'd imagine UMKC or SEMO fans don't really have expectations for their basketball program.

Butler is challenging because they've been very successful under the recent run of coaches and continuing that level of success will be hard.

18 hours ago, For-DaLove said:

Maybe read the article before theorizing about the content?

Why?  Are you the author of the article?  I'm sorry to offend you by my frank admission that I wasn't interested.  Anyway, my "theorizing" was less about the content and more about responding to comments in this thread.  And Cheeseman made comments similar to mine.

2 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Why?  Are you the author of the article?  I'm sorry to offend you by my frank admission that I wasn't interested.  Anyway, my "theorizing" was less about the content and more about responding to comments in this thread.  And Cheeseman made comments similar to mine.

Yes but I read the article.  

11 hours ago, Old guy said:

Time is not infinite, why waste time reading about a whole pile of other schools about which you just do not care. It does make sense to read what he said about SLU and let the rest go unread. 

I would say that if I had not scanned through the article I would not have gotten the perspective that I took away.  Everybody can do what ever they want but there is not a one right answer here.