Summer team

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

I know this is a highlight film but I have seen some of these type practices in person and they never shoot this well - so maybe we actually have some shooters?

Okay. I counted. The video showed three jump shots going in.  A bunch of nasty dunks (particularly like the French throw down) but only 3 jumpers. I'm not sure any conclusions can be made from 3 jump shots. Fun video yes. Conclusive no. 

That being said we already know we have long range jump shooters with decent collegiate track records in Roby, AD, Bishop, Johnson, Welmer and maybe Graves (small sample size).

Looks like French is a lefty. 

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Okay. I counted. The video showed three jump shots going in.  A bunch of nasty dunks (particularly like the French throw down) but only 3 jumpers. I'm not sure any conclusions can be made from 3 jump shots. Fun video yes. Conclusive no. 

That being said we already know we have long range jump shooters with decent collegiate track records in Roby, AD, Bishop, Johnson, Welmer and maybe Graves (small sample size).

Well, we did hit a couple of layups. That's already an improvement. :ph34r:

4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I love this analysis.  I mean, it is a two minute summer workout video.  You have uncovered more kernels of wisdom than rationally possible.  Well done.

4 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

After watching a couple of these videos the thought crossed my mind - Have we ever had a coach get after on the court like Ford does? - I could see why the kids would like him - he can motivate it appears.

Romar and Soderberg would sometimes get on the court to demonstrate, but I don't think it was at that same energy level and consistency as with Ford (and the three would all have been around the same age during their time leading SLU). I assume Majerus did not and did most of his coaching from a chair. I had some opinions of Ford based on what I saw just on the court at Oklahoma State, but he has not been anything at all like those opinions. He really shows passion in all phases of the job that we really needed. It was obvious the players responded well to him (as are recruits) in a tough opening season that they fought thru and finished relatively strong.

1 minute ago, bauman said:

....but wait-I didn't think he could do anything except recruit. :huh:  Isn't that what all the OSU posters told us?

That's what I thought too based on watching his teams at OSU. Too soon to say for certain, but I am certainly pleasantly surprised to this point.

2 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

That's what I thought too based on watching his teams at OSU. Too soon to say for certain, but I am certainly pleasantly surprised to this point.

Here's just one person's thoughts about what happened at OSU.

While he was, and obviously still is, a good-better than average recruiter, he was recruiting against some big time programs and having to play those same big time programs.  His recruits were good players, but no better than some of the other Big 12 teams, e.g. KU, OU, TX early on MIzzou.  When faced with that situation his teams were good over a fair amount of time, but never a conference leader and that is what OSU and its Boone Pickens-funded program expected.  Since he was getting a high level of recruits, the OSU world expected conference titles and deep NCAA runs.  Since he couldn't do that (due to the level of competition in the Big 12) it obviously meant (to OSU supporters) he couldn't coach.

I think he proved last year that he could game coach and it seems like he might also excel at player development, but we need to wait a couple years to make that player development judgment.  In the meantime he continues to recruit really well and the better we do in the A-10, the better he will be able to recruit.  As of now,  I am more than happy with Goodwin, French, Gordon and Thatch in addition to the 4,  2016 transfers and this years Trs. Santos and Howard.

The only possible downside to this year is the amount of time it might take all these new players to jell as a team.  Given a couple of bumps in the road early in the season, I think by the end of the year we stand a good chance of winning the A-10 tournament.

Otherwise, TF can't coach.  :lol::huh:  (Note to Old Guy:  I am just kidding)

50 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

After watching a couple of these videos the thought crossed my mind - Have we ever had a coach get after on the court like Ford does? - I could see why the kids would like him - he can motivate it appears.

-Romar used to get in some action at practice

On June 21, 2017 at 2:18 PM, goonaha said:

Even 6 foot Ty Graves can dunk. This team is going to be fun. Love the intensity. 

Watching this, a couple of things-French is going to destroy some rims while at SLU and it looks like the guy doing push-ups is Coach Tate-I'm sure the team got a kick out of that!