2017-2018 Schedule

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Wow, that's interesting news.  Oregon State was pretty crappy last year, at 5-27 RPI 281.  We could be playing the bottom two teams from the Pac 12 last year, OSU and Washington in the 2K tourney. 

So we have replaced Kansas State and Wichita State H and H with Houston, Oregon State and Butler. With OSU and Butler on the road, we may be nearing the end of our Away OOC schedule.  SIUC was at C'dale last year so if it continues, it should be here this year.

Oregon State was in the NCAA tournament two years ago.  Tres Tinkle, the sophomore the Beavers were relying on to keep them competitive last year, was averaging 20ppg and 8rpg through 6 games before going down with an wrist injury.  He's been granted a medical redshirt.  Tres is the son of the head coach, Wayne Tinkle.

OSU is also pinning its hopes on one of the best shooting guards in the 2017 class, top 40 recruit Ethan Thompson.  Coincidentally, Ethan is the son of the assistant coach, Stephen Thompson, and the 2nd Thompson boy to sign with OSU in 3 years.  This is the same Stevie Thompson who was a star at Syracuse in the late 1980s.

14 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Wow, that's interesting news.  Oregon State was pretty crappy last year, at 5-27 RPI 281.  We could be playing the bottom two teams from the Pac 12 last year, OSU and Washington in the 2K tourney. 

So we have replaced Kansas State and Wichita State H and H with Houston, Oregon State and Butler. With OSU and Butler on the road, we may be nearing the end of our Away OOC schedule.  SIUC was at C'dale last year so if it continues, it should be here this year.

Besides being the two worst teams in the Pac 12 last year, what else do OSU and UW have in common?

Give up?

Both seem to have the same recruiting approach---hire an Asst Coach who can bring his sons along with him .  Wait, isn't there a school closer than the West Coast that employs the same method of recruiting?  About 2000 miles closer than the Pacific Northwest!

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

Bauman if you are going to judge other teams by how they performed last season, keep in mind that our own performance was far from stellar last season.

Old Guy, you might be an MD, however, you do have a difficult time understanding the meaning of rather basic English phrases.

I was not judging the performance of OSU and UW last year (that was done in the post above mine, that I quoted).  I was just making a somewhat tongue-in-cheek commentary on some Head Coaches (Tinkle of OSU; Romar while still employed by UW and Martin at MU) all of whom hired asst coaches who just happened to have outstanding basketball-playing sons, who just happened to follow their Dads to the school their Dads were just hired by.  The Post-Dispatch's favorite Dad (see today's sports section), Michael Porter Sr. should get extra credit , using his talented sons to get hired as an AC at UW and then using the same sons to be hired at a second school, which is even compensating him at a sum not often received by an AC, and  NEVER received by an AC with the minimal qualifications that Porter brings to the job.

At least this recruiting method will not result in a NCAA slap on the wrist, that providing strippers/prostitutes causes.

Michael Porter Sr. is indeed a person who knows how to extract income out of favorable situations. Other than that he is not someone that I would in any way want to associate with. And yes, I happen to be a bit dense in imagining the variations of meaning people may be aiming for when they post.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, NextYearBill said:

1st round 2kclassic opponent.... VaTech..... tough lil game there 

It is, they finished 22-10 and 10-8 in the ACC... I have seen ACC preview pieces where they usually are in the 4-6 range. They lose their top two scorers but are being replenished by Buzz's best recruiting class at VaTech. Either way, it will be considered a good win when we upset them. 

it would have been nice for this tournament to be a little later on our schedule.  As it stands now we might only have one game before playing Va Tech-the Seattle home game.  I know there are more games to be announced, but none likely between Seattle and VT or before Seattle.  Most of the open time for yet to be announced games is in December.  I just hope we have come together as a team before we play at Butler on 12/2-that would be a sweet win for us!

1 hour ago, bauman said:

it would have been nice for this tournament to be a little later on our schedule.  As it stands now we might only have one game before playing Va Tech-the Seattle home game.  I know there are more games to be announced, but none likely between Seattle and VT or before Seattle.  Most of the open time for yet to be announced games is in December.  I just hope we have come together as a team before we play at Butler on 12/2-that would be a sweet win for us!

I heard there was another game scheduled before . 

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, bonwich said:

I'm glad to see us schedule one of our "buy games" against a somewhat local team.  The fact that our students will be gone for Christmas holiday and that some of the SEMO kids will be home for the holidays remind me of when SWMSt kind of took over our student section.  The only difference is that SEMO students are not as big of basketball fans, so I don't envision a repeat.  However, playing a school that has a fair number of STL students and grads might give the attendance a bit of a boost as opposed to playing a "buy team" from, for example, Alabama/TN/TX/LA

Coming a little more into focus:

11/10: Seattle

11/16: Virginia Tech @2k Classic in NYC

11/17: Providence/Washington @2k Classic in NYC

11/22: Detroit

12/2: @Butler

12/6: SIUC

12/9: Houston

12/22: SEMO

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Coming a little more into focus:

11/10: Seattle

11/16: Virginia Tech @2k Classic in NYC

11/17: Providence/Washington @2k Classic in NYC

11/22: Detroit

12/2: @Butler

12/6: SIUC

12/9: Houston

12/22: SEMO

VCU is looking to have a much better schedule. We need to step it up in case we don't win the tournament or finish top 2 in A10 for a NCAA bid

5 hours ago, bauman said:

I'm glad to see us schedule one of our "buy games" against a somewhat local team.  The fact that our students will be gone for Christmas holiday and that some of the SEMO kids will be home for the holidays remind me of when SWMSt kind of took over our student section.  The only difference is that SEMO students are not as big of basketball fans, so I don't envision a repeat.  However, playing a school that has a fair number of STL students and grads might give the attendance a bit of a boost as opposed to playing a "buy team" from, for example, Alabama/TN/TX/LA

Totally agree.  I would like seeing SEMO, UMKC, SIUC  and yes even Missouri State (time to bury that hatchet) rotated on the schedule often.  They are much more appealing games than NC A&T or Samford and Sons.

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Totally agree.  I like seeing SEMO, UMKC and yes even Missouri State (time to bury that hatchet) on the schedule often.  They are much more appealing games than NC A&T or Samford and Sons.

One further point, if SEMO has any STL area kids on the team, it will be nice for them to get a chance to play at "home" and against the best team in the state.

So excited for this season.

Im sad, however, because I just got some pre-beginning of the year info from SLU in the mail and grad students are not included in the free tickets for students deal. Bummer.

Thinking about getting the $99 season tickets though. Are they worth it? Are there any benefits that's come included other than admission (maybe playing a few minutes during blowout games)? I tried to do my research online but couldn't find anything so I wanted to hear from some people with season ticket experience.