2017-2018 Schedule

10 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Just for conversational purposes, here are the top 10 teams according to games played v SLU.  I'd take any of them, yeah, including Drake and Bradley instead of NC A&T, Chicago State, Eastern Illinois, Samford and Sons, etc.

Drake 83

Cincy 78

Tulsa 74

Bradley 70

Louisville 67

Wichita State 64

DePaul 62

Memphis 58

SIUC 56

Marquette 54

Dayton is next at 53

(We have played our local Wash U team 63 times but they aren't on this list for obvious reasons)

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to get at here (not questioning your motives -- just not sure of the intended point), but the numbers on at least eight of those teams are so high because they were conference games. 

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, bonwich said:

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to get at here (not questioning your motives -- just not sure of the intended point), but the numbers on at least eight of those teams are so high because they were conference games. 

The only team on the list that we haven't been in a conference with (or 2 or 3) is SIUC.

14 hours ago, cheeseman said:

The costs that you have outlined will not eat up all the profit no matter how much you want to pad it.  Bottom line even if they broke even, the benefit of showcasing the team is worth it.  By the way, I was only ball parking stuff next time I will include a comprehensive spreadsheet for your benefit.

That is not true and you seem to have no idea what you are talking about.  Here is a clue--Chaifetz is a managed facility and Spectra is not a charity.

11 hours ago, bonwich said:

The point is simply these are the top 10 teams in terms of games played against SLU in the history of the program.  Nothing more nothing less.  I, for one, would like SLU to restart, or keep going, some of these series instead of some of our recent games with directional or obscure schools. 

On 6/5/2017 at 8:10 AM, cheeseman said:

Those schools are not in Indiana's circle.  Which schools in the Indy/Bloomington area do they play every year? 

I see you missed the point entirely. No problem. If you prefer the Texas Southern, North Texas, Texas-Pan Am, and Alabama A&M's of the world, then you're entitled to your opinion. I take more of an interest in local and regional hoops. But that's just me. 

2 hours ago, Compton said:

I see you missed the point entirely. No problem. If you prefer the Texas Southern, North Texas, Texas-Pan Am, and Alabama A&M's of the world, then you're entitled to your opinion. I take more of an interest in local and regional hoops. But that's just me. 

Sometimes schools like that come in as part of exempt tournaments — basically two teams per season.  You can't replace those with regional teams.

You do get "trash' schools as buy-in games and not all come as part of the exempt tournaments.  Some of those schools , focusing soley in the Majerus years, were NC A&T, Furman, Sam Houston State, IUPUI, Savannah State, Samford, USC Upstate, Liberty, SEMO, Kennesaw State, Miss. Valley State, UMKC, Eastern Illinois, Northeastern, Alabama State, North Texas, UT-Martin, Vermont, Oral Roberts and Yale.  Unfortunately, cupcakes and buy-in games make the world go round --- they allow the bigger schools to pad their win columns and get essentially better practice against "organized" opponents as opposed to practicing only against themselves.  Many of the small buy-in schools use these meat grinders OOCs to 1) get ready for their season as well but mostly 2) to pay for all the other sports their school sponsors.  I recall Fang Mitchell's squad upsetting a #2 seed in the Dance years ago.  They won the MEAC but they were winless in their OOC because every game in November and December were played at places like Oklahoma, Kansas, Ohio State and other places because those Coppin State needed the money earned from those games to fulfill Title IX needs and other, lesser sports on their campus. 

I agree we should take on local folks as opposed to crap buy-in games from schools in the Carolinas and Texas.  Regional folks we've played before include Arkansas, Bradley, Butler, Creighton, DePaul, Detroit, Drake, Evansville, Houston, Illinois, Illinois State, Indiana State, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, K State, Kent State, Kentucky, Louisville, Loyola-Chicago, Marquette, Memphis, Mi$$ou, Missouri State, Murray State, Nebraska, Northern Iowa, Notre Dame, Oklahoma State, TCU, Tulane, Valpo, Vandy, Wichita State and Xavier.  Granted some of these occurred when we were in the same conference with some but I think everyone would agree that if you took one name from the above and replaced it for Texas-Pan Am and/or Savannah State, you be much more pleased.  Of course you could also kill your guys in the OOC which goes against the point made in #1 above. 

I think it would be nice if you try to get three of the schools listed above as regional and get rid of those others.  But problems exist .... would they agree to play you (Mi$$ou) at all?  Would they agree to a home-and-home?  Do they want just you to come to them (as Duke does)?  Do they want to meet you at a neutral site only (Purdue against Dayton in Indianapolis)?  Do they care to help out an old friend (Marquette, DePaul, even Creighton)?  I think we did well to schedule Butler and Houston this year.  We still keep SIUC.  And we have two nice games in NYC.  I really don't think you can expect much more than that.

My strong feeling is that some of your gravely underestimate how difficult it is to be able to pick and choose to play certain kinds of teams, at a mutually convenient time and place.  I do believe the OOC will improve, and already has;  but these things don't happen overnight.  So chill.

Frankly, I do wish we were better at scheduling the locals.  Regarding Indiana, it was always great playing ISU, Ball State, IUPUI, Evansville, or other "locals."  Bring 'em on!

1 hour ago, DoctorB said:

My strong feeling is that some of your gravely underestimate how difficult it is to be able to pick and choose to play certain kinds of teams, at a mutually convenient time and place.  I do believe the OOC will improve, and already has;  but these things don't happen overnight.  So chill.

Frankly, I do wish we were better at scheduling the locals.  Regarding Indiana, it was always great playing ISU, Ball State, IUPUI, Evansville, or other "locals."  Bring 'em on!

Except IPFW. 

Conference Opponents Announced

HOME
Dayton*
Duquesne*
Fordham
George Washington
La Salle*
Rhode Island
Richmond*
St. Bonaventure*
VCU

AWAY
Davidson
Dayton*
Duquesne*
George Mason
La Salle*
Massachusetts
Richmond*
St. Bonaventure*
Saint Joseph's

*Home-and-home series

7 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

Conference Opponents Announced

HOME
Dayton*
Duquesne*
Fordham
George Washington
La Salle*
Rhode Island
Richmond*
St. Bonaventure*
VCU

AWAY
Davidson
Dayton*
Duquesne*
George Mason
La Salle*
Massachusetts
Richmond*
St. Bonaventure*
Saint Joseph's

*Home-and-home series

So VCU and RI are either scared to play us twice or think we will hurt their RPI like the last few years...

A too early prediction:  14-4 in A-10 games and getting to the final game of the conference tournament (Too soon to predict a win or loss in that game).  Conferences losses to Davidson and Saint Joe on the road and URI and an upset to someone at home.

Now you are all ready for Vegas!

6 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Looking back, Brad had some pretty nice OOC schedules.

He did. But I think it is difficult to compare OOC schedules today with those from 20 years ago when most power conferences played 14 or 16 conference games. Today, leagues are almost all at 18 conference games and I think the ACC is moving to 20 soon. Those two extra game in conference basically mean the P6 teams want two fewer home and homes in the OOC. Add in that most P6 leagues have one cross conference "Big 10 / ACC type" challenge and the exempt tournaments and they just don't have much room for non-con away games. 

4 hours ago, DoctorB said:

the problem with chilling and waiting in this instance, this isn't a new problem, OOC scheduling has always sucked. I don't pretend to understand or even care how we schedule I just want a schedule that doesn't hurt are chances to make the dance. If not in a major conference having a weak OOC schedule makes it very hard to make the dance without winning conference championship, so if we have OOC RPI in the 250's it hurts us.

15 minutes ago, kshoe said:

He did. But I think it is difficult to compare OOC schedules today with those from 20 years ago when most power conferences played 14 or 16 conference games. Today, leagues are almost all at 18 conference games and I think the ACC is moving to 20 soon. Those two extra game in conference basically mean the P6 teams want two fewer home and homes in the OOC. Add in that most P6 leagues have one cross conference "Big 10 / ACC type" challenge and the exempt tournaments and they just don't have much room for non-con away games. 

Agreed. A lot has changed in the 10+ years since those schedules were made. RPI calculations, committee's 'focus', all the stuff you mentioned. 

The UNC was a "home game" for Hansbrough. The Gonzaga series was strong, but they weren't the same Gonzaga back then either. 

The Arizona H-H was the one that I can't figure out. Was that some sort of game to get Iguadala back close to home? SLU would be the closest outside of UIUC or Bradley. 

14 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I was thinking this, but the number of OOC games played last season was actually more than every year except one under Brad.  The number of conference games played has gone up, but so has the number of games in the regular season.

4 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Agreed. A lot has changed in the 10+ years since those schedules were made. RPI calculations, committee's 'focus', all the stuff you mentioned. 

The UNC was a "home game" for Hansbrough. The Gonzaga series was strong, but they weren't the same Gonzaga back then either. 

The Arizona H-H was the one that I can't figure out. Was that some sort of game to get Iguadala back close to home? SLU would be the closest outside of UIUC or Bradley. 

we also had Kansas H-H for Robertson & UCLA (after a national championship) H-H. I believe the plan from the mid-90s till about 2005 was to have one marquis game a year.

8 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

We, also had series against West Virginia, Mississippi, Butler, K State, Dayton (when we were in CUSA) and GA Tech.

59 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

That is correct.