Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
Quality Is Job 1

Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Is Fletcher a one and done caliber player? 

No. And that is based off knowing absolutely nothing about Fletcher or what it takes to be considered a one and done type player. You're welcome for my answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

because he didn’t get strung along like Martin. Martin had two years of work evaporate in 45 days. 

Interesting theory 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Interesting theory 

I mean please elaborate if you think that Ford somehow played it wrong...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

because he didn’t get strung along like Martin. Martin had two years of work evaporate in 45 days. 

I'm certainly not a SPUMAC or Martin fan but he is still in the running for Love although I don't think Love is going to Columbia.  Until Love announces, Martin is still in the chase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, bauman said:

I'm certainly not a SPUMAC or Martin fan but he is still in the running for Love although I don't think Love is going to Columbia.  Until Love announces, Martin is still in the chase.

And after he announces, Martin has known to still be in the chase

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Basketbill said:

And after he announces, Martin has known to still be in the chase

Not with the other schools on Love's list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Baylor Hebb is arguably the best mid-major offensive prospect in America.

http://www.ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=4361

Selected to the 2019 NY2LA Basketball Association First Team earlier this week, Hebb wrapped up Session 1 as the leading scorer at close to 30 points a game and he led the league in Floor Impact while also being among the league leaders in Assists, Field Goal Percentage, and 3 point shooting percentage.  His 48 point 6 rebound 7 of 11 from 3 point range performance in a close win over a very talented Wisconsin Swing team was arguably the single best performance to date in NY2LA Basketball Association history and he added another 30 plus point effort during the July championships.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I mean please elaborate if you think that Ford somehow played it wrong...

What if Ford recognized that Love and Fletcher would get high major offers but the goal was to just be included in their Final lists.  The statement that would make towards potential recruits to say that SLU is again in the mix for high level talent.  Seeing the Final lists of those two players would you say Coach Ford played it right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

What if Ford recognized that Love and Fletcher would get high major offers but the goal was to just be included in their Final lists.  The statement that would make towards potential recruits to say that SLU is again in the mix for high level talent.  Seeing the Final lists of those two players would you say Coach Ford played it right?

That thinking is so wrong. I remember when people were excited to be in Tatum’s final 2. That really helped Crews on the recruiting trail...

Once you know you are not going to get a player, stop wasting your time with him. It’s that simple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

What if Ford recognized that Love and Fletcher would get high major offers but the goal was to just be included in their Final lists.  The statement that would make towards potential recruits to say that SLU is again in the mix for high level talent.  Seeing the Final lists of those two players would you say Coach Ford played it right?

This isn’t horse racing. You can’t cash a ticket for place or show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, kshoe said:

That thinking is so wrong. I remember when people were excited to be in Tatum’s final 2. That really helped Crews on the recruiting trail...

Once you know you are not going to get a player, stop wasting your time with him. It’s that simple.

It's not my thinking.  Why did SLU coaching staff call the Vashon coaches because they didn't make Fletcher's list?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

It's not my thinking.  Why did SLU coaching staff call the Vashon coaches because they didn't make Fletcher's list?  

🙄

That didn’t happen.

Travis Ford is literally recruiting at the highest levels in SLU history. He’s getting local kids. He didn’t call Tony Irons to ask why SLU wasn’t in Fletcher’s list. I know that’s maybe what your Vashon connections told you, but SLU has been getting played by Vashon spin for decades. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that in the recruiting process the player and the player's coaches are separate factors. The coaches influence the player's thinking, but the players are the ones ultimately deciding. Calling the coaches after not making a player's final list can be taken as a way to facilitate a better relationship with the coaches with the hope that they will promote our program to their HS players. Fletcher may be lost and gone for SLU but the Vashon coaches are still factors that must be worked up to develop a good mutual relationship, after all the HS coaches are an important part of the process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

🙄

That didn’t happen.

Travis Ford is literally recruiting at the highest levels in SLU history. He’s getting local kids. He didn’t call Tony Irons to ask why SLU wasn’t in Fletcher’s list. I know that’s maybe what your Vashon connections told you, but SLU has been getting played by Vashon spin for decades. 

I would probably go counter to this and like to think that Tate or Ford has at least reached out to those around Love and Fletcher to find out why they had no interest in SLU. I have no concerns with losing a recruit to Kentucky or another one to Kansas/UNC/Louisville, but it would be good to know why two elite local recruits didn't even consider us as an option. Similar with Liddell a year ago who apparently had some initial interest in SLU, but that interest faded as his recruitment started to play out and we didn't make his short list (and I am not saying there is any benefit from the physical appearance of being on a recruit's list of finalists). Obviously every recruit is different, but to the extent there are some relationships that could be improved at Vashon or Belleville West (I assume the relationships are good with BBE and CBC) it would be good to be aware of that and work on those. I am a big fan of the local kids that we have on our roster, so I am certainly not implying local recruiting is a problem, but I do think there is benefit to knowing why these three didn't consider SLU more seriously.

So moving on to the next tier of local recruits (Kalkbrenner, Bradford, and Kasubke), does anyone know what level of interest we have and they have in SLU?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never wonder why a top 40 player is indifferent to a mid-major offer. If I was a top 40 recruit, I probably wouldn't take it seriously either. I'd be more concerned with missing the final cut for our top 150 targets. We need to land one of those guys every couple of years to keep our recruiting momentum going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With regards to SLU and local recruiting.....there are two incoming players who SLU identified early as good players regardless of rankings. Those players went on to have great personal and team success and their interest grew a lot. Prior to that SLU signed several highly recruited players by high majors. SLU isn’t going to get every local high major recruit. So far, this staff is doing well in that department. If they miss on any local kids, as long as they can land someone else from somewhere, else, great.  French, high major player, Bess, high major player, etc....The question: Is the local player a high major caliber player regardless of rankings etc...? If so, pursue as long as the player has interest. I don’t care if kid is 5 star, 4 star, 3 star, negative star. .....When it comes to following the recruitment of initial local SLU targets that move on or SLU moves on etc...there’s always value in information to keep an eye on those things. The staff is well aware of who is interested and not interested in SLU. And, this staff has successfully recruited many local players thus far. If that changes or deteriorates over time then it would be a valid issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I never wonder why a top 40 player is indifferent to a mid-major offer. If I was a top 40 recruit, I probably wouldn't take it seriously either. I'd be more concerned with missing the final cut for our top 150 targets. We need to land one of those guys every couple of years to keep our recruiting momentum going.

I certainly agree with the second part of that. With regards to the first part, that certainly could be the answer the coaches would (maybe did) get if they followed up with the Fletcher or Love camps and there is nothing you can do in those situations. The Love recruitment seemed to be that way from the start (and from all accounts his list is a top 5 as Mizzou isn't in consideration), but Fletcher seemed to be more in play although once Kentucky got involved that was a different story as well. I just think there is always benefits to knowing why you aren't the choice or even considered (and I think with Love we knew early on what his goal was).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I certainly agree with the second part of that. With regards to the first part, that certainly could be the answer the coaches would (maybe did) get if they followed up with the Fletcher or Love camps and there is nothing you can do in those situations. The Love recruitment seemed to be that way from the start (and from all accounts his list is a top 5 as Mizzou isn't in consideration), but Fletcher seemed to be more in play although once Kentucky got involved that was a different story as well. I just think there is always benefits to knowing why you aren't the choice or even considered.

Imagine how Izzo feels. MSU was the leader for over a year and got dropped like a bad habit once Calipari extended an offer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 3star_recruit said:

Imagine how Izzo feels. MSU was the leader for over a year and got dropped like a bad habit once Calipari extended an offer.

I know, that hurts. It reminds me of the Majerus quote, I always tell people, recruiting to UCLA (Kentucky or Duke now) would be like recruiting an alcoholic to a New Year's Eve party.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

🙄

That didn’t happen.

Travis Ford is literally recruiting at the highest levels in SLU history. He’s getting local kids. He didn’t call Tony Irons to ask why SLU wasn’t in Fletcher’s list. I know that’s maybe what your Vashon connections told you, but SLU has been getting played by Vashon spin for decades. 

 

SLU can never win with some of the self-anointed local insiders and advisors. They are condescending toward us and never think SLU is good enough for the good local recruits, yet they turn around and blame SLU for not doing "more." They will also blame SLU when they don't offer fringe D1 local recruits. It's always SLU's fault!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ace what you describe is indeed a problem. I think the better course for SLU to take handling these characters is to be respectful to them and to present our point of view, even when we think/know they will not accept it. It would not be good to go there and insult them. If we are going to improve this situation we have to do  it correctly and aim for the long run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, ACE said:

SLU can never win with some of the self-anointed local insiders and advisors. They are condescending toward us and never think SLU is good enough for the good local recruits, yet they turn around and blame SLU for not doing "more." They will also blame SLU when they don't offer fringe D1 local recruits. It's always SLU's fault!

Sadly this seems so true. Yet schools outside of the area can come in at any time and none of the same concerns apply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Sadly this seems so true. Yet schools outside of the area can come in at any time and none of the same concerns apply.

There's a perception among blue chip recruits nationally that the local unranked program is not a big enough stage.  Butler and Temple, for example, can't get a top 50 recruit to save their lives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ACE said:

SLU can never win with some of the self-anointed local insiders and advisors. They are condescending toward us and never think SLU is good enough for the good local recruits, yet they turn around and blame SLU for not doing "more." They will also blame SLU when they don't offer fringe D1 local recruits. It's always SLU's fault!

They’re the same way with Mizzou football. It’s infuriating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...