Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

43 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If we don't sign Kasubke or Bradford, I'd prefer we not sign any local recruits in the 2020 class.  It would be extremely difficult for a  Dylan Branson or a Lamontay Daughtery to break into this rotation.   I want to see local guys play.  And the program looks better to local recruits when they see the kids they look up to succeeding.

Do you feel there is no interest in SLU from Kalkbrenner?

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Do you feel there is no interest in SLU from Kalkbrenner?

That ship has sailed and it's perfectly normal.  There's a dozen high majors after him and he now believes that's where he belongs.  Before he blew up with Mac Irvin this spring, that most definitely was not his mindset.

CBFan likes this

On 7/17/2019 at 12:39 PM, TJHawk said:

Fletcher apparently did not impress many this summer and his stock dropped.

Not sure if this is joking or not, but, .....Fletcher picked up several new offers this summer. He just lined up an official visit to Kentucky in August, after taking an unofficial there in June.  If anything they have the momentum right now. He is likely taking a few more visits after that, and then deciding. 

2 hours ago, courtside said:

Not sure if this is joking or not, but, .....Fletcher picked up several new offers this summer. He just lined up an official visit to Kentucky in August, after taking an unofficial there in June.  If anything they have the momentum right now. He is likely taking a few more visits after that, and then deciding. 

I'm not some expert, I'm going off reports by Eric Bossi.  Bossi probably knows more about mid west than anyone else.   Other than Mizzou or Alabama I'm not sure he can commit to the others schools right now. 

On 7/19/2019 at 5:03 PM, TJHawk said:

I'm not some expert, I'm going off reports by Eric Bossi.  Bossi probably knows more about mid west than anyone else.   Other than Mizzou or Alabama I'm not sure he can commit to the others schools right now. 

It’s actually the other way around. His interest has increased this summer from higher profile schools. Kentucky is trying very hard to get him to commit as soon as possible. They told him they would offer if he visited in June. He did, they did. Now they have been pushing hard for a commitment from him sooner than later. He is still likely going to visit and re-visit the other schools and decide among the 5 in early fall, end of summer.

1 hour ago, courtside said:

It’s actually the other way around. His interest has increases this summer from higher profile schools. Kentucky is trying very hard to get him to commit as soon as possible. They told him they would offer if he visited in June. He did, they did. Now they have been pushing hard for a commitment from him sooner than later. He is still likely going to visit and re-visit the other schools and decide among the 5 in early fall, end of summer.

Court side is correct, wish we could have had him..

I just want to say that there are players that we are not going to get regardless. Whether this is because we offered too late, or whether they had no real interest in us from the beginning, or because they got an offer they could not refuse, the fact is that we are not going to get many players that we offered.

On the other hand, everything will be OK if the new players we get have talent, want to be Billikens, and can be made to  work together like a harmonious team. I think we are well on the way to achieve this goal for next season.

Coach314 likes this

Moving this conversation here because he's a 2020 recruit:

Michael Peake - PF, 6-7, 220 - Kansas City, MO (Blue Valley Northwest, KS) - AAU: MOKAN Elite (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @MichaelPeake16
Offers: Saint Louis, Georgia, Detroit, South Dakota, Denver.

Interest: St. Bonaventure, Creighton, Virginia Tech, Ohio State, K-State, Iowa State, Alabama, South Carolina, Cincinnati, Tulsa, Utah State, Princeton, Cornell, Toledo, Loyola-Chicago, SIU-Carbondale, Missouri State, Illinois State, Bradley, Valparaiso, Drake, Belmont, SEMO, Illinois-Chicago, Milwaukee, North Dakota, Western Illinois, New Orleans, Abilene Christian, Louisiana-Monroe, Liberty, UMKC, Texas-Rio Grande Valley.

Latest News: Peake received an offer from SLU. (7/22/19)

Scouting Report: Peake is a big-bodied frontcourt player with the ability to guard multiple positions. He has a well-rounded skill set and can create off the dribble, get to the basket, finish above the rim, and shoot it - and is developing range extending out to the perimeter. He's a strong offensive rebounder with good timing and leaping ability. He moves and runs the floor well. He transferred from KC Northeast to Blue Valley Northwest heading into his junior year and helped them to a state championship.

-Really interesting to see a second consecutive offer to a KC area kid (Tamar Bates '21 is the other). We haven't recruited there much at all since I've been keeping track. Peake was a bit overshadowed by Dante and Bradford on MOKAN and is at least a few inches shorter than those two but he's a nice looking prospect.

23 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Moving this conversation here because he's a 2020 recruit:

Michael Peake - PF, 6-7, 220 - Kansas City, MO (Blue Valley Northwest, KS) - AAU: MOKAN Elite (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @MichaelPeake16
Offers: Saint Louis, Georgia, Detroit, South Dakota, Denver.

Interest: St. Bonaventure, Creighton, Virginia Tech, Ohio State, K-State, Iowa State, Alabama, South Carolina, Cincinnati, Tulsa, Utah State, Princeton, Cornell, Toledo, Loyola-Chicago, SIU-Carbondale, Missouri State, Illinois State, Bradley, Valparaiso, Drake, Belmont, SEMO, Illinois-Chicago, Milwaukee, North Dakota, Western Illinois, New Orleans, Abilene Christian, Louisiana-Monroe, Liberty, UMKC, Texas-Rio Grande Valley.

Latest News: Peake received an offer from SLU. (7/22/19)

Scouting Report: Peake is a big-bodied frontcourt player with the ability to guard multiple positions. He has a well-rounded skill set and can create off the dribble, get to the basket, finish above the rim, and shoot it - and is developing range extending out to the perimeter. He's a strong offensive rebounder with good timing and leaping ability. He moves and runs the floor well. He transferred from KC Northeast to Blue Valley Northwest heading into his junior year and helped them to a state championship.

-Really interesting to see a second consecutive offer to a KC area kid (Tamar Bates '21 is the other). We haven't recruited there much at all since I've been keeping track. Peake was a bit overshadowed by Dante and Bradford on MOKAN and is at least a few inches shorter than those two but he's a nice looking prospect.

Tom crean, now at Georgia, formerly at Indiana, has had great success with under recruited Missouri kids - O.G. and that Morgan kid.

Consider me intrigued.

12 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

SLU didn’t appear to make Caleb Love’s top 20.

Technically not his top 20, just public speculation. We won't be in his top 6, so it's not a big deal, regardless.

In addition to Burnett, another top 12 from someone we offered:

The interesting thing to me there is that Ohio State isn't in the mix. They sort of strung him along for a while but could never really commit, so I'm glad he has moved on. Pitt seems to be the one that has had the strongest relationship with him from the start.

10 hours ago, BuiltFordBills said:

Travis and Tate both out recruiting at the Midwest College Basketball Academy at University of Illinois. Was cool to see Tate and Jamall Walker chatting for a while.

Other assistants might be at other locations. Here's who Tate and Ford are watching in particular:

East (UConn):
Reece Brown, Session I
Zed Key, Session I
Tristan Maxwell, Session II
Liam Murphy, Session I

South (Houston):
Keon Ambrose-Hylton, Session I
Matteus Case, Session I
Christian Fussell, Session I
Colby Jones, Session I

Midwest (Illinois):
Davion Bradford, Session I
Dylan Branson, Session I
Ramean Hinton, Session I
Luke Kasubke, Session I
Dayvion McKnight, Session I
Cody Potter, Session II
Jackson Sivills, Session I

West (Grand Canyon):
Graham Ike, Session II

BuiltFordBills likes this

Gethro Muscadin - C, 6-10, 205 - Gonaives, Haiti (Aspire Academy, KY) - AAU: YGC36 (Adidas Gauntlet) - Twitter: @gethromuscadin
Offers: Saint Louis, Minnesota, Wichita State, SMU, New Mexico, UNLV, Colorado State, Louisiana Tech.

Interest: VCU, Boston College, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Baylor, Auburn, Tulsa, SIU-Carbondale, Missouri State, Valparaiso, Troy, Texas State, Abilene Christian, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Oral Roberts, Northern Colorado, Wagner, Texas-Rio Grande Valley, Florida A&M.

Latest News: Muscadin received offers from New Mexico, Minnesota, and SLU. (7/24/19)

Scouting Report: Muscadin is a long big man who protects the rim and rebounds aggressively at both ends. He has good insticts and timing. He has a nice jump shot with range out to the perimeter. He's springy and dunks everything he can, but has nice touch on hook shots and short to mid-range jumpers. He runs the floor well and plays with a ton of energy all the time. He transferred from Sunrise Christian Academy (KS) to Aspire Academy (KY) for his final year. He began his HS career at Next Level Prep (KS).

-Yes, pronounced Jethro.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Gethro Muscadin - C, 6-10, 205 - Gonaives, Haiti (Aspire Academy, TX) - AAU: YGC36 (Adidas Gauntlet) - Twitter: @gethromuscadin
Offers: Saint Louis, Minnesota, Wichita State, SMU, New Mexico, UNLV, Colorado State, Louisiana Tech.

Interest: VCU, Boston College, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Baylor, Auburn, Tulsa, SIU-Carbondale, Missouri State, Valparaiso, Troy, Texas State, Abilene Christian, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Oral Roberts, Northern Colorado, Wagner, Texas-Rio Grande Valley, Florida A&M.

Latest News: Muscadin received offers from New Mexico, Minnesota, and SLU. (7/24/19)

Scouting Report: Muscadin is a long big man who protects the rim and rebounds aggressively at both ends. He has good insticts and timing. He has a nice jump shot with range out to the perimeter. He's springy and dunks everything he can, but has nice touch on hook shots and short to mid-range jumpers. He runs the floor well and plays with a ton of energy all the time. He transferred from Sunrise Christian Academy (KS) to Aspire Academy (TX) for his final year. He began his HS career at Next Level Prep (KS).

-Yes, pronounced Jethro.

-I saw him play 3 games for Sunrise against top notch competition, didn't play a whole lot, mostly a rebounder and dunker,  with what I think is great potential but I wonder the story behind 3 high schools

Pistol likes this

5 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-I saw him play 3 games for Sunrise against top notch competition, didn't play a whole lot, mostly a rebounder and dunker,  with what I think is great potential but I wonder the story behind 3 high schools

To me, it's more of a red flag for US-born players than for immigrants with families in other countries, although I would also be curious to hear his specific circumstances. I tend to understand it when a kid is trying to acclimate to the country, the culture, maybe a language gap, and so forth.

There's also a HUGE quality gap between a lot of these schools, particularly since the charter school explosion in recent years. "Prep school" can mean anything from some of the most elite, exclusive, academically advanced schools in the country to fly-by-night setups that take advantage of lax regulations and oversight to build a shell around an athletic program, and everything in between.

The first "school" Muscadin was at appears to no longer have a website, has not posted to its Facebook page since March, and only seems to be updating Twitter - the last tweet indicating that there's some sort of restructuring (rebranding?) going on. Everything I can find about it seems like a red flag. So he went across town to the more established Sunrise Christian Academy, which has a massive basketball program with three tracks (select, varsity, and postgrad), but is at least attached to a legitimate school. Now he's going to Aspire Academy, and AA athletes go to Holy Cross HS in Louisville as full-time students.

Agree with you Pilot, let's assume this kid is here with his family, or even by himself living with family friends or relatives. You have to consider that most of these people have no clue as to what the good schools are or are not. Mistakes are bound to be made, and then fixed. I think the important thing with this kid is how he plays and how he gets along with other kids in his team. If he is OK both ways, then the  school changes may not be much of a red flag.