Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

58 minutes ago, Schasz said:

With Kim English now an Assistant at UT he said that he will also recruit in MO. Apparently, they have interest in Caleb Love.

English is originally from Baltimore, MD.  Attended HS and played AAU ball there.  He's played professionally in the NBA for Detroit briefly and G-League in Fort Wayne.  He's also played professionally in Europe.  In his coaching career prior to UT he's had AC stops at Tulsa and Colorado.  Neither* of those schools had any players from the St. Louis metro area on their rosters during or immediately following his tenures.  *The possible exception is Zeke Moore at Tulsa who left SLU in spring 2017 and wound up at Tulsa just after English had left for Colorado.

The only connection English has to St. Louis is that he happened to play for Mizzou during his college days.  I don't think typically collegiate players develop relationships with HS coaches or AAU coaches from a City 2 hours away from their school.

That's not to say that he couldn't be developing those relationships now or couldn't have been developing them while at Tulsa or Colorado albeit without anything to show for it.  English seems like a personable guy and Tennessee has gobs of money to throw around.  However, I'm not losing sleep over losing recruiting battles with Tennessee quite yet.  I'm more concerned with K State, Mizzou, Illinois, etc.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Schasz said:

With Kim English now an Assistant at UT he said that he will also recruit in MO. Apparently, they have interest in Caleb Love.

My favorite Kimmy English story was when referred to SLU as "little brother" in a radio interview. A couple weeks later "little brother" goes out and beats Memphis on the same day his team pulls a classic choke job against Norfolk State. And Kimmy led the choking by putting up 2 pts and 4 fouls in 37 minutes of play 😀

The guy is a tool.

3 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

English is originally from Baltimore, MD.  Attended HS and played AAU ball there.  He's played professionally in the NBA for Detroit briefly and G-League in Fort Wayne.  He's also played professionally in Europe.  In his coaching career prior to UT he's had AC stops at Tulsa and Colorado.  Neither* of those schools had any players from the St. Louis metro area on their rosters during or immediately following his tenures.  *The possible exception is Zeke Moore at Tulsa who left SLU in spring 2017 and wound up at Tulsa just after English had left for Colorado.

The only connection English has to St. Louis is that he happened to play for Mizzou during his college days.  I don't think typically collegiate players develop relationships with HS coaches or AAU coaches from a City 2 hours away from their school.

That's not to say that he couldn't be developing those relationships now or couldn't have been developing them while at Tulsa or Colorado albeit without anything to show for it.  English seems like a personable guy and Tennessee has gobs of money to throw around.  However, I'm not losing sleep over losing recruiting battles with Tennessee quite yet.  I'm more concerned with K State, Mizzou, Illinois, etc.

English recruited in St Louis while he was at Tulsa.  But,  I agree with your point that there are other schools to be more concerned about.

Bradford had 24 points and 7 rebounds in EYBL action last night. Went 10-11 from the floor.

Kassubke had 8 points and went 2-4 from 3.

Branson only had 1 point, but finished with 7 assists and 8 rebounds.

Kalkbrenner had 9 points, 16 rebounds and 4 blocks in his game. 

Pistol and Coach314 like this

just curious if anyone knows where the area rising sophomores (hughes jr, burden,  martin, etc) playing this summer?

49 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

just curious if anyone knows where the area rising sophomores (hughes jr, burden,  martin, etc) playing this summer?

I know Reed from Chaminade is playing with MoKan. I haven’t watched enough of him to say what level of prospect he is, but certainly a young big with some promise. Looks like Martin and Hughes Jr. are playing with the BBE 15s and I assume Burden is with BBE as well.

11 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Hughes and Martin are on Brad Beal Elite's 15U team, and Burden is playing up on their 16U team. Rest of the BBE rosters are here.

From INDY EYBL article.  He was labeled the 'Trending Up Award' winner.

TRENDING UP: RYAN KALKBRENNER

Ryan  Kalkbrenner

7'0" | 225 lbs | C

Trinity Catholic  St. Louis, MO

CLASS OF 2020

UNDECIDED

The award: Don't get me wrong, 7-footer Ryan Kalkbrenner is still pretty rough around the edges. He needs strength to be more physical and he's got to be more consistent, but he's sure trending up - and quickly. This guy has found some serious confidence and is quickly emerging as one 2020's top rim-protecting big men. It doesn't hurt that he has soft hands and some touch on offense.

His recruitment: Cincinnati, Illinois, Kansas State, Missouri, Saint Louis (where his mother played) and Virginia Tech have come through with offers.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/bossi-s-best-eybl-indianapolis-awards

39 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

From INDY EYBL article.  He was labeled the 'Trending Up Award' winner.

TRENDING UP: RYAN KALKBRENNER

Ryan  Kalkbrenner

7'0" | 225 lbs | C

Trinity Catholic  St. Louis, MO

CLASS OF 2020

UNDECIDED

The award: Don't get me wrong, 7-footer Ryan Kalkbrenner is still pretty rough around the edges. He needs strength to be more physical and he's got to be more consistent, but he's sure trending up - and quickly. This guy has found some serious confidence and is quickly emerging as one 2020's top rim-protecting big men. It doesn't hurt that he has soft hands and some touch on offense.

His recruitment: Cincinnati, Illinois, Kansas State, Missouri, Saint Louis (where his mother played) and Virginia Tech have come through with offers.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/bossi-s-best-eybl-indianapolis-awards

who is his mother?

6 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Mrs. Kalkbrenner  😀🤩

which reminds me, i heard you on sirius 94 the other morning on the way to work.

Dain Dainja - PF/C, 6-9, 260 - Brooklyn Park, MN (Park Center) - Twitter: @DDainja

Offers: SLU, Xavier, Marquette, Georgetown, DePaul, Louisville, Syracuse, Clemson, Ohio State, Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Texas, K-State, Iowa State, West Virginia, Baylor, Florida, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Arizona State, Nevada, Wyoming, Western Kentucky, Hampton, Denver, Montana.

Interest: Butler, UNC, Virginia, NC State, Miami, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Michigan State, Indiana, Wisconsin, Purdue, Kansas, Oklahoma, Arizona, UCLA, Oregon, Stanford, Colorado, Cal, Memphis, Gonzaga.

Latest News: Dainja received an offer from SLU. He is taking official visits to Ohio State and Louisville soon. (5/15/19)

Scouting Report: Dainja is a big, long, strong, athletic big man with a complete skill set. In addition to rebounding, shot blocking, and finishing, he can step out and shoot it from three, pass from anywhere on the floor, and handle the ball in the open floor or half court. He's incredibly productive and his potential is sky-high. He recently retooled his body, taking a stricter approach to nutrition and dropping 15 lbs. of fat before adding 10 lbs. of muscle. His father played at Minnesota and his grandfather played at Northwestern. Rankings: Rivals - 40, Prep Hoops - 63, 247Sports - 62, 247Sports Composite - 49, ESPN - 51.

Kiyron Powell - C, 6-9, 205 - Evansville, IN (Benjamin Bosse) - Twitter: KHoops9

Offers: SLU, Xavier, Georgetown, Creighton, K-State, Houston, Evansville, Miami-Ohio, Middle Tennessee, New Orleans.

Interest: Duquesne, Louisville, Michigan State, Ohio State, Indiana, Purdue, Iowa, Auburn, Arkansas, Cincinnati, Wichita State, Old Dominion, Indiana State, Ball State, IUPUI, Western Illinois.

Latest News: Powell received an offer from SLU. He is taking an official visit to Creighton soon. (5/15/19)

Scouting Report: Powell is a long, lean, athletic, skilled stat sheet stuffer. He plays with smarts and patience. He has a long stride and good leaping ability. He alters and blocks a ton of shots, taking advantage of his considerable length. He averaged nearly a triple-double as a junior. He was diagnosed with epilepsy a few years ago after suffering a seizure. Rankings: 247Sports - 208, 247Sports Composite - 244.

-Dainja looks like a potential NBA player to me if he continues to put in the work. Unreal talent. Powell is skinny but skilled and really long. Has improved dramatically offensively; has been billed mostly as a defensive player prior to this year. He's showing out for the Indy Heat so far this EYBL season.

billikenbill and MattyMo213 like this