Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reece Brown - PF, 6-9, 200 - Albany, NY (The Loomis Chaffee School, CT) - Twitter: @Reece_Brown_

Offers: SLU, UMass, Rutgers, Ohio, Yale, Columbia, Siena, Vermont, Stony Brook, NJIT.

Interest: Davidson, Marquette, Georgetown, Providence, Northwestern, K-State, Temple, Harvard.

Latest News: Brown received offers from SLU and UMass. (4/25/19)

Scouting Report: Brown is a long, versatile forward who says he can play anything from the 2 to the 5. He handles the ball well in transition and in the half court, can step out and shoot it, and beat his defender off the dribble and finish strong. He's a good defender and plays with a lot of energy. He's a hard worker and smart player with a lot of athleticism and upside. Brown missed half of his 2017-2018 season with a stress fracture in his right shin. He reclassified as a 2020 recruit. His sister plays at Columbia.

-I like this offer a lot. I was really impressed by his candor in this interview. He's a really nice looking prospect and high-academic kid. Plays for Albany City Rocks on the EYBL circuit. Stock should rise considerably this summer, although since he reclassified, he technically could make the jump now if he wants. I wonder if SLU would consider that, or if this is just a 2020 offer. My guess is the latter; he says he's staying unless it's exactly the right thing at the right time.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Reece Brown - PF, 6-9, 200 - Albany, NY (The Loomis Chaffee School, CT) - Twitter: @Reece_Brown_

Offers: SLU, UMass, Rutgers, Ohio, Yale, Columbia, Siena, Vermont, Stony Brook, NJIT.

Interest: Davidson, Marquette, Georgetown, Providence, Northwestern, K-State, Temple, Harvard.

Latest News: Brown received offers from SLU and UMass. (4/25/19)

Scouting Report: Brown is a long, versatile forward who says he can play anything from the 2 to the 5. He handles the ball well in transition and in the half court, can step out and shoot it, and beat his defender off the dribble and finish strong. He's a good defender and plays with a lot of energy. He's a hard worker and smart player with a lot of athleticism and upside. Brown missed half of his 2017-2018 season with a stress fracture in his right shin. He reclassified as a 2020 recruit. His sister plays at Columbia.

-I like this offer a lot. I was really impressed by his candor in this interview. He's a really nice looking prospect and high-academic kid. Plays for Albany City Rocks on the EYBL circuit. Stock should rise considerably this summer, although since he reclassified, he technically could make the jump now if he wants. I wonder if SLU would consider that, or if this is just a 2020 offer. My guess is the latter; he says he's staying unless it's exactly the right thing at the right time.

-I recently spoke with a coach (not SLU) and we were talking about changes in the game and one item they mentioned is it's very difficult now to motivate kids so if true, these attributes will make a kid a higher value recruit

20 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I recently spoke with a coach (not SLU) and we were talking about changes in the game and one item they mentioned is it's very difficult now to motivate kids so if true, these attributes will make a kid a higher value recruit

That's an interesting comment, and I wonder what it is that's making him say that.

From what I see of recruits today, they work harder than ever before. The time they put in year-round is unbelievable to me compared to what it was in my day (2001-2005) working with the program. The guys who don't put in time get passed over.

When I use that comment in a recruiting bio, it's generally because I see enough to make me think the guy puts in enough effort relative to his peers to merit a mention. To use a couple incoming players as examples, Hargrove is in the gym every day, year round, for hours on end. Whether he's shooting at ESL or going over to SLUH or Burroughs or another gym to work out with a trainer and some other players, he's clearly putting in tons and tons of work to a degree that I didn't see a generation ago. Same for Perkins; his coach at SWIC said you need to tell him to take a break sometimes.

SLU_Lax likes this

Just glanced thru ESPN's top 100 for 2020. At 100 is Jamal Mashburn, Jr, PG, Miami, FL. I'm going to assume this is the son of Ford's old teammate, Jamal Sr. If so, wonder if Travis might have at least put out a feeler. No schools listed in the interest column, but am sure one of the recruiting sites has more info. 

billiken_roy likes this

Sleeper recruit Antoine Bloxton continues to play like a top 10 player in the state of Illinois.  Dropped 40 in a regional showcase tournament in Wisconsin and puts forth effort on defense.  He's setting himself up for a strong senior season. I hope Bogan gets invited to the 2020 Highland Shootout.

On 4/26/2019 at 7:56 PM, Billiken4life5 said:

Mokan over BBE again tonight

That was by one point. Point guard  Kennedy Chandler (playing up) was the Mokan Elite star that game and their first few games. Mokan Elite win today over Albany City Rocks.(the above SLU target Reece Brown. Symir Torrence (21 and 10) has been City Rocks best player. Kasubke had 19 for Mokan Elite. 

Ryan Kalkbrenner had 14 and 14 for Mac Irvin Fire in a win over CP3. 

1 hour ago, courtside said:

That was by one point. Point guard  Kennedy Chandler (playing up) was the Mokan Elite star that game and their first few games. Mokan Elite win today over Albany City Rocks.(the above SLU target Reece Brown. Symir Torrence (21 and 10) has been City Rocks best player. Kasubke had 19 for Mokan Elite. 

Ryan Kalkbrenner had 14 and 14 for Mac Irvin Fire in a win over CP3. 

Kalkbrenner is a “must get” for TFord.

cgeldmacher likes this

New interest:

Cody Potter - SG, 6-5, 175 - Pikeville, KY (Shelby Valley) - Twitter: @3cap0_15

Offers: None.

Interest: SLU, Marshall, VMI.

Latest News: Travis Ford was out to watch Potter as he played with the Tennessee Bobcats. (4/29/19)

Scouting Report: Potter is an elite shooter with deep range. He has a smooth stroke off the catch or the dribble, and has shot over 42% from 3 in each of his first 3 HS seasons. He's pretty athletic, too, with good bounce and the ability to finish strong in traffic. He rebounds his position very well, averaging 9.6 RPG as a junior. He's also become a more effective passer, as he routinely faces double and triple teams. He has good length and is a solid defender.

-"New" interest might be a little misleading. He's apparently been on Ford's radar for a while, according to a deep Twitter dive. Not a lot of other interest yet, though, and no offers. He's probably the best player in the lightly recruited region of Eastern Kentucky. His HS is just south of Pikeville, not far from the borders of VA and WV. Ford's deep Kentucky connections have this guy on his radar. Anyway, he's a sharpshooter - 42% or better from 3 in each of his 3 HS seasons so far. Shoots 84.5% from the FT line. Good rebounder. Some good dunk highlights. AAU is big for him; he's not getting the toughest competition out there for his HS team, even though there are some good teams in the region. He's on pace to be his school's leading scorer and rebounder when all is said and done. He has 1,790 and 766 so far. He'll be in the mix for Mr. Basketball next season as a senior along with Jackson Sivills.

4 hours ago, Pistol said:

New interest:

Cody Potter - SG, 6-5, 175 - Pikeville, KY (Shelby Valley) - Twitter: @3cap0_15

Offers: None.

Interest: SLU, Marshall, VMI.

Latest News: Travis Ford was out to watch Potter as he played with the Tennessee Bobcats. (4/29/19)

Scouting Report: Potter is an elite shooter with deep range. He has a smooth stroke off the bounce or the dribble, and has shot over 42% from 3 in each of his first 3 HS seasons. He's pretty athletic, too, with good bounce and the ability to finish strong in traffic. He rebounds his position very well, averaging 9.6 RPG as a junior. He's also become a more effective passer, as he routinely faces double and triple teams. He has good length and is a solid defender.

-"New" interest might be a little misleading. He's apparently been on Ford's radar for a while, according to a deep Twitter dive. Not a lot of other interest yet, though, and no offers. He's probably the best player in the lightly recruited region of Eastern Kentucky. His HS is just south of Pikeville, not far from the borders of VA and WV. Ford's deep Kentucky connections have this guy on his radar. Anyway, he's a sharpshooter - 42% or better from 3 in each of his 3 HS seasons so far. Shoots 84.5% from the FT line. Good rebounder. Some good dunk highlights. AAU is big for him; he's not getting the toughest competition out there for his HS team, even though there are some good teams in the region. He's on pace to be his school's leading scorer and rebounder when all is said and done. He has 1,790 and 766 so far. He'll be in the mix for Mr. Basketball next season as a senior along with Jackson Sivills.

Don't "off the bounce" and "off the dribble" mean the same thing?  I guess one of them should be "catch."

Tons of updates in the 2020 Recruiting Lists post. New offer:

Kadary Richmond - PG, 6-5, 180 - Brooklyn, NY (South Shore) - Twitter: @KadaryRichmond3

Offers: SLU, VCU, Rhode Island, St. Bonaventure, Seton Hall, Creighton, Penn State, K-State, Oregon, Wichita State, New Mexico, Florida International, Evansville, Manhattan, Siena, Niagara, Marist, LIU-Brooklyn, Norfolk State.

Interest: Dayton, Fordham, Georgetown, St. John's, Virginia, Pitt, Michigan, Illinois, Rutgers, Baylor, Arizona, UConn, Pepperdine.

Latest News: Richmond received offers from SLU, Oregon, Seton Hall, and Penn State. (4/30/19)

Scouting Report: Richmond is a very skilled, athletic, versatile PG with great size. He controls pace and has incredible body control and feel for the game. He scores on all three levels and is a high-level distributor. He has great handles, gets to the rim, and draws fouls. He's also an outstanding defender, using his length and size to create turnovers and disrupt shots and passing lanes.

-We're jumping into yet another crowded pool here. This guy is an awesome looking prospect. He was under the radar for a while but not anymore.

Chris Moore - PF, 6-7, 220 - West Memphis, AR (West Memphis) - Twitter: @ChrisMo2020

Offers: SLU, Miami, Texas Tech, K-State, Iowa State, TCU, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Florida, Auburn, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Memphis, UConn, Tulsa, SMU, Tulane, Southern Miss, Murray State, Arkansas State, Abilene Christian.

Interest: UNC, Kentucky, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Houston, Oral Roberts.

Latest News: Moore received an offer from SLU. (4/30/19)

Scouting Report: Moore is a strong, athletic, versatile forward who plays with a ton of energy and attitude. He's a strong finisher who doesn't fear contact but has a lot of bounce and will get to the rim one way or another. He rebounds well at both ends and blocks shots. He has the strength and versatility to play a few positions. He has great hands, long arms, and nice touch out to 15 feet. He looks more like a football player but is extremely productive.

13 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Chris Moore - PF, 6-7, 220 - West Memphis, AR (West Memphis) - Twitter: @ChrisMo2020

Offers: SLU, Miami, Texas Tech, K-State, Iowa State, TCU, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Florida, Auburn, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Memphis, UConn, Tulsa, SMU, Tulane, Southern Miss, Murray State, Arkansas State, Abilene Christian.

Interest: UNC, Kentucky, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Houston, Oral Roberts.

Latest News: Moore received an offer from SLU. (4/30/19)

Scouting Report: Moore is a strong, athletic, versatile forward who plays with a ton of energy and attitude. He's a strong finisher who doesn't fear contact but has a lot of bounce and will get to the rim one way or another. He rebounds well at both ends and blocks shots. He has the strength and versatility to play a few positions. He has great hands, long arms, and nice touch out to 15 feet. He looks more like a football player but is extremely productive.

sounds like he resembles french

Dudley Blackwell - SG, 6-6, 185 - Miramar, FL (Huntington Prep, WV) - Twitter: @1kdudd

Offers: SLU, Providence, Ohio State, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Florida, Florida Gulf Coast.

Interest: Duquesne, DePaul, Virginia, Louisville, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Miami, Clemson, Michigan State, Auburn, Mississippi State, Temple, Central Florida, South Florida, Florida Atlantic, Florida International, Bucknell, Northern Arizona.

Latest News: Blackwell received offers from SLU, Providence, Oklahoma State, and Ohio State. (4/30/19)

Scouting Report: Blackwell is a versatile, athletic wing with good size and the ability to guard three positions. He's right handed but effective going to the rim with either hand. He can shoot it in the mid-range and out to the perimeter. He's an excellent passer and handles the ball well for his size. He's tough and plays strong defense. He helped Westminster Academy in Florida to back-to-back state titles before transferring to Somerset Pines Academy for his junior year, and left SPA mid-season for Huntington Prep (WV).