Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

On 2/26/2019 at 11:12 AM, Pistol said:

Class 3:

Vashon (Cam'Ron Fletcher, Kobe Clark, 2021 Nicholas Kern) vs. Hancock (Sam Richardson - not a SLU recruit but probably D-I) - Tomorrow, 6:00, Webster Groves

Trinity (Rashad McDaniels-Weekly, Ryan Kalkbrenner - no SLU offers but possible interest) vs. Hermann - Tomorrow, 6:00, Francis Howell Central

Vashon and Trinity both won easily, setting up a Class 3 quarterfinals showdown at Normandy's Viking Hall on Saturday at noon. I'd love to be able to get to that one; tons of good players and I've never been to a game at Normandy. Vashon beat Trinity by 1 earlier this month.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

I should say that I’d happily take Gillman on this team right as a third forward after French and Foreman. We have zero depth and it’s killing us. 

THIS. I think a lot of us get caught up in how bad those teams were. But there were a lot of good role players on those teams. Neufeld and Gillmann would be very nice to have on this team. It's okay to bring in role players. We don't need to hit a home run with every recruit.

i dont want to ever see the likes of a gillmann or nuefeld player that might take a roster spot for 4 years.   if you want to grab such for a one year practice player grad transfer i.e. anthony, at least then we fill the spot with a body till we can recruit a player that might someday produce.   gillmann and nuefeld were not good signings.  

Littlebill, CBFan and Zink like this

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Vashon and Trinity both won easily, setting up a Class 3 quarterfinals showdown at Normandy's Viking Hall on Saturday at noon. I'd love to be able to get to that one; tons of good players and I've never been to a game at Normandy. Vashon beat Trinity by 1 earlier this month.

interesting this is at webster, isnt it supposed to be held at 1 school in the district?

39 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

THIS. I think a lot of us get caught up in how bad those teams were. But there were a lot of good role players on those teams. Neufeld and Gillmann would be very nice to have on this team. It's okay to bring in role players. We don't need to hit a home run with every recruit.

Started Mardi Gras festivities early I see? You can't be serious

Gillmann is legitimately the worst Billiken of my lifetime.

2 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

He's worse than Raboin

thats a good point.   sure take him as a walk on, but otherwise heading to D3 would have made more sense for gillmann.  

42 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Gillmann isn’t very good but on this team he would help. I’d prefer someone better but beggars can’t be choosers. 

No.  Roy is correct.  Eventually, a player needs to step up and be a starter/major contributor - preferably by their JR year.  If not, then that person is not a good recruit.  Now, if you are saying that you would take, and our team would now benefit from a Frosh or Soph who produced numbers like Gillman/Neufeld, then fine.  I am totally fine with The next 2 years, we will rely upon French -- but when he graduates, we will need another French quality forward -- not a Gillman/Neufeld quality forward.  

I am totally happy to have guys like Jacobs and Hankton who are learning, practicing and developing - not major contributors this year. As long as guys are developing and being good teammates/student athletes, then we don't need major contributions for all 13 players.

21 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

No.  Roy is correct.  Eventually, a player needs to step up and be a starter/major contributor - preferably by their JR year.  If not, then that person is not a good recruit.  Now, if you are saying that you would take, and our team would now benefit from a Frosh or Soph who produced numbers like Gillman/Neufeld, then fine.  I am totally fine with The next 2 years, we will rely upon French -- but when he graduates, we will need another French quality forward -- not a Gillman/Neufeld quality forward.  

I am totally happy to have guys like Jacobs and Hankton who are learning, practicing and developing - not major contributors this year. As long as guys are developing and being good teammates/student athletes, then we don't need major contributions for all 13 players.

When’s the last time this program had 13 players?  That’s the point when discussing whether or not we’d take a Gillman type player. It’s not a coincidence that we have fallen off so much at the end of the year. Our guys have no legs left. It’s easy to see. We NEED more depth ASAP. 

4 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

When’s the last time this program had 13 players?  That’s the point when discussing whether or not we’d take a Gillman type player. It’s not a coincidence that we have fallen off so much at the end of the year. Our guys have no legs left. It’s easy to see. We NEED more depth ASAP. 

But that's what me and Roy are saying - a guy like Gillmann is not better than a walk on. What would be the difference between Gillmann and Raboin? Just four years of a scholarship.

29 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Heading into this season, before Santos left.

I was just throwing Kalkbrenner - and his teammate Rashad McDaniels-Weekly - as potential D-I kids to watch if people were getting out to the playoff games this week. I was not implying that SLU was going to offer him. Just that he's worth being aware of. This was not my intention for the direction of the thread.

10 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Gobills.

In case you didn't hear, Dr. P kicked 4 good players out of school and allowed only 1 to return.  Instead of filling them with Gillman and Neufeld types, we rented 2 Grad Transfers (and sure glad we did), we took a chance on Hankton, Jacobs and Thor.  Yes, we lost our foreign born late signee who arrived behind schedule, who was ill, and became injured to a little know Icelandic pro team/league.  All would have OK had  we not have another situation with Santos after the school year started this year,  had our local 4 star knucklehead acted like he belonged on a college campus and had matured past the age of 13 (but we were wrong) and had Jim Crews' recruit (Wellmer) not reinjured himself causing him to miss yet another season.  

Even still, we are now left with 9 guys -- but 2 have been injured causing them to miss large parts of the season -- Jacobs and Hankton and 2 have played injured for much of the season -- Bess and Foreman -- and that's not to say that the other 5 have not also playing thru injuries, sickness, etc. 

I get it though, you would have rather signed another Gillman instead of Thatch.  I get it.

CBFan likes this

2 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Go Bills

If you are going to post stupid things, at least explain yourself.  

You’re saying I would rather have Gillman than Thatch, yet I am the one posting stupid things??

you're a decent poster Clock, but you’re way off on this. Totally missing my point. 

Gillman was a useless marshmallow who never even worked to get better, and as a result never improved. In a program that has a futile history of finding even marginal big men, Gillman set the bar for as low as we could go.

While baseball has the Mendoza line, the Billikens have the Gillman seat. You never want to be past either to the bad. 

Gillman joined the excercise bike, the garbage can, and the f:cler from Minnesota as symbols of unparalleled Billiken incompetence in recruiting.

2 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

You’re saying I would rather have Gillman than Thatch, yet I am the one posting stupid things??

you're a decent poster Clock, but you’re way off on this. Totally missing my point. 

No you’re way off.

Gillman quit basketball and like Jolly were not division 1 players.

Nuefeld is the only player that could have helped out for a few minutes a game however Neufeld was the lesser of the 3 evils and none of them should have been offered a scholarship.

This argument is so silly and shows how desperate some fans have become since the season has not turned out like we all hoped.  I would rather have a GT like Rashed Anthony because you have them for 1year and fills a void another Gillman, Jolly, or Neufeld takes up a scholarship for years and we ask ourselves why did we recruit that guy?

I’m enjoying what we have hope for 9 players to be healthy for the A10 tournament run that get us an automatic bid.  Our team never surrenders and can beat the top teams in the A10 if they have 9 players.

Gillman and Neufield?

Goodness gracious. This year hasn’t gone as planned but the Bills are still a decent Diviosn 1 college team. There is never a need to bring back players of their caliber.

Why don’t we bring back Jolly too?

jollyterribleshot.gif?w=765&h=478

10 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Gillman and Neufield?

Goodness gracious. This year hasn’t gone as planned but the Bills are still a decent Diviosn 1 college team. There is never a need to bring back players of their caliber.

Why don’t we bring back Jolly too?

jollyterribleshot.gif?w=765&h=478

The handclap gets me every time 

3 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Bu all means then, make your point. 

18 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Bu all means then, make your point. 

I think what gobillsgo is saying is that a big body to give our legitimate bigs a blow is better than no big body.  My counter to that is I rather have an undersized athletic forward  playing that role than Gillmann - basically your 6'6 jumping jack forward that goes D-2 out of McCluer North or Hazelwood Central every year.  At least you wouldn't be playing 4 on 5.

i dont want any scholarshipped player on the roster that isnt capable of performing.   as 3 star writes, i'd rather play with 4 or even 5 guards as try to make tke likes of gillman or neufeld work.