Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

5 minutes ago, SShoe said:

3 fairly high-level D-1 recruits on the same public high-school team is kinda ridiculous.  

WG did have what will most likely be 4 D1 kids on last years team.  Although only two were big time targets

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

I know all kids put out these tweets today, but I thought this one was really well thought out.

I like that.  Looks like him and Branson both used a picture of Goodwin.  Seemed like it always use to be a picture of the Jett team so nice to see the update with one of the current top players on the team.  Think things like this already show the beginning of the impact Goodwin will have on this program for years.  

2010andBeyond likes this

9 hours ago, Franchise_08 said:

So Bradford would be the top target?

Not sure because heard great things about the kid from Illinois but haven't seen him play.  When I saw Bradford play in the 8th grade he was one of the most impressive young post prospects that I had ever seen.  Since then, I still see the potential but haven't actually seen any production.  He started some as a frosh but didn't really play big minutes.  As a sophmore, CBC was trying to try run some hi-lo action with him and Josh Wallace the first half of the season but it didn't really click.  When he left, CBC went to more of a one post offense and it opened up the floor for their guards to attack (Love) and the team really took off.  Played WG as close as anyone in the playoffs. I really worry about his quickness especially as a defender in pick and roll situations.  Be an interesting year for Mehlville sure.  

15 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

@Pistol it sounds like Branson is a bit of a stretch as a SLU-level recruit. Any chance his offer is contingent on the other two committing?  

I guess there's a chance. It's not the first time we've done a bulk offer to a HS or AAU team; we saw a few of those in Ford's first year, after the first EYBL event at SLU on his watch. I don't know how you actually present that to a player, though. No one wants to hear "You're not coming here unless at least one of the other two do." Branson was on my radar early on (see the first page of this thread), but once he went to Mehlville, I didn't hear as much about him being a potential D-I recruit so I stopped tracking him. I'll definitely be paying close attention to Mehlville this year, though, so hopefully I can get a better idea of his potential.

10 hours ago, Franchise_08 said:

So Bradford would be the top target?

He's certainly the most highly regarded recruit of the trio at this point. As @Billiken4life5 points out in his very good post below, he's got plenty of development left. But he was a big-time prospect as soon as he started HS and has the size and potential to keep him on the national radar for the duration of HS. He's a no-brainer offer now that he's back in STL, and now you just hope he continues to progress.

54 minutes ago, Billiken4life5 said:

Not sure because heard great things about the kid from Illinois but haven't seen him play.  When I saw Bradford play in the 8th grade he was one of the most impressive young post prospects that I had ever seen.  Since then, I still see the potential but haven't actually seen any production.  He started some as a frosh but didn't really play big minutes.  As a sophmore, CBC was trying to try run some hi-lo action with him and Josh Wallace the first half of the season but it didn't really click.  When he left, CBC went to more of a one post offense and it opened up the floor for their guards to attack (Love) and the team really took off.  Played WG as close as anyone in the playoffs. I really worry about his quickness especially as a defender in pick and roll situations.  Be an interesting year for Mehlville sure.  

12 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

I know all kids put out these tweets today, but I thought this one was really well thought out.

I know it isn't, but that almost sounds like a commitment tweet.  

Bradford is an easy kid to root for after all he has gone through.

Just now, Cowboy said:

-what has you thinking this? do you have some scoop?

Im just speaking on what I think.  Open scholarship, family here, and as Brian pointed out, his tweet about SLU offering seemed pretty personal.  I'd be shocked if he didnt have connections with CAG or Goodwin too

15 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Im just speaking on what I think.  Open scholarship, family here, and as Brian pointed out, his tweet about SLU offering seemed pretty personal.  I'd be shocked if he didnt have connections with CAG or Goodwin too

Was kind of neat to see Hargrove, J-Good and others locals hype up the offer. Another benefit of getting the locals to stay home. It's the "cool" thing to do and you're consistently reminded of it. 

Zink likes this

3 hours ago, wgstl said:

Agree 100%. It sounds like Davion wanted to come back to STL after his mother's passing because STL was home for him and it's where he felt most comfortable. Throw in his growing relationships with Tate and Ford, camaraderie with current and future players (CAG, Goodwin, Hargrove, etc.), reppin' your city, and most importantly a team that has gotten back to its winning ways! Add all of that up and I wouldn't be surprised if he commits to SLU. Or not.

For those who can't or don't want to watch the video, here's the summary:

-Lewis is coming to Billiken Madness on 9/28 and will then have a full visit (unofficial) that weekend. He's really looking forward to the experience. He says he likes SLU's coaches and likes what they have to say about the program, its history, and where it's going.

-He said that SLU is standing out along with Columbia and Brown. When asked about how significant it is that the latter two are Ivies, he said it's meaningful but he's looking for a good balance of basketball and academics wherever he goes.

-He said Michigan, Colorado, and Colorado State came out to see him in open gym in the past week (a number of others did, as well, but these were the biggest ones, and the only ones he mentioned).

-He was able to rattle off 9 of his 10 offers from memory; couldn't remember Western Illinois.

-Started off by talking about AAU and the upcoming HS season. Nothing particularly stands out, just that he wished they (Young & Reckless) finished stronger in AAU and that he thinks they'll (Kenwood Academy) have a good HS season.

-He missed basically all of last HS season because of a transfer (his clearance took a longer time than usual) and an injury.

-Bottom line is that SLU sounds like his leader right now but that power conference schools are starting to turn up the heat and I expect his recruitment to make a leap this HS season. Let's hope for a good visit next weekend. His stock is rising quickly.

3 hours ago, wgstl said:

3 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Was kind of neat to see Hargrove, J-Good and others locals hype up the offer. Another benefit of getting the locals to stay home. It's the "cool" thing to do and you're consistently reminded of it. 

Their tweets got retweets/comments from Hargrove and his mom, Gordon, Goodwin's family members, Corey Frazier, Maurice Jeffers, Luke Kasubke, Anthony Lawrence (Chaminade/SLU grad), and others. I know that these players and coaches and their circles all like to support one another on Twitter, but it seems like there's a lot more local love around this trio than I typically see for just an offer.

Branson in particular seems to know everybody in the local basketball scene, and Bradford has a lot of really positive stuff directed at him despite being away for a year. I expect Daughtery to really fit in nicely, too; he's mostly been flying under the radar because of geography, not lack of talent, and he just doesn't know as many people in STL yet as these other two.

Bradford's tweet also struck me as more personal than I almost ever see for these things. He always thanks coaches by name (which is rare) but the hometown angle adds a layer to this one. Seems special.

Anyway, I know it's just Twitter and these guys are all happy to promote and support one another - and that if this were a Big Ten offer, they'd have 500 fans tweeting at them, too - but there's more love around these than I usually see for new SLU offers.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

For those who can't or don't want to watch the video, here's the summary:

-Lewis is coming to Billiken Madness on 9/28 and will then have a full visit (unofficial) that weekend. He's really looking forward to the experience. He says he likes SLU's coaches and likes what they have to say about the program, its history, and where it's going.

-He said that SLU is standing out along with Columbia and Brown. When asked about how significant it is that the latter two are Ivies, he said it's meaningful but he's looking for a good balance of basketball and academics wherever he goes.

-He said Michigan, Colorado, and Colorado State came out to see him in open gym in the past week (a number of others did, as well, but these were the biggest ones, and the only ones he mentioned).

-He was able to rattle off 9 of his 10 offers from memory; couldn't remember Western Illinois.

-Started off by talking about AAU and the upcoming HS season. Nothing particularly stands out, just that he wished they (Young & Reckless) finished stronger in AAU and that he thinks they'll (Kenwood Academy) have a good HS season.

-He missed basically all of last HS season because of a transfer (his clearance took a longer time than usual) and an injury.

-Bottom line is that SLU sounds like his leader right now but that power conference schools are starting to turn up the heat and I expect his recruitment to make a leap this HS season. Let's hope for a good visit next weekend. His stock is rising quickly.

-Billiken Madness with at least one recruit in the house, hoping the Mehlville kids are there, too, along with others, we are acting like a real program, thanks CFord and Staff!

2 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-Billiken Madness with at least one recruit in the house, hoping the Mehlville kids are there, too, along with others, we are acting like a real program, thanks CFord and Staff!

Yeah, I would expect we'll have more than just Lewis in the house.

We need a good crowd in the stands that night. Bring friends, make noise.

If all goes as planned, I'll be there by 9:30. I'll keep my eyes peeled for recruits in the arena, and will keep searching for anyone announcing a visit leading up to the event. If anyone else hears about recruits that might be coming, please post here.

It really seems like everyone in the STL basketball scene really wants these Mehlville kids to stay home (including the kids themselves). Travis making STL kids a priority is really starting to pay off. A couple good years on the court and staying home to rep Team Blue is gonna be what all STL kids want to do, rather than heading down 70 to SPUMAC. 

Semi related note:  does anyone know Ford’s contract status?  And when can/should we offer him an extension?  I can’t imagine there’s anyone who’s less than thrilled with his performance so far. 

19 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

It really seems like everyone in the STL basketball scene really wants these Mehlville kids to stay home (including the kids themselves). Travis making STL kids a priority is really starting to pay off. A couple good years on the court and staying home to rep Team Blue is gonna be what all STL kids want to do, rather than heading down 70 to SPUMAC. 

Semi related note:  does anyone know Ford’s contract status?  And when can/should we offer him an extension?  I can’t imagine there’s anyone who’s less than thrilled with his performance so far. 

It doesn't seem to me that Missouri has been the destination of choice for top St. Louis recruits for quite some time.