Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

8 hours ago, slu72 said:

Between regular cable; FSMW, NBCS, and CBSSN, ESPN, and ESPN+ I think I missed seeing only 2 games last year. But if SLU was to make a deal, I'd buy it. All that said, I'm really getting a sinking feeling about this season even happening. We were led to believe that once summer got here, we should see a downturn in the # of cases. It seems just the opposite has happened. Now, that could be due to the increase in testing where unknown cases are now known, but we're also being told this plague would bounce back on us in the fall months and flu season. It just seems that we've got some distance to go in getting this under control. 

Apparently you listen to the wrong people.  The medical experts never really held that position.  They were always preaching caution.  Those cases or least some number of them were always there - the testing only confirmed what experts thought and give the opportunity to isolate those people.  I agree not sure what or if the season will take place - hope I am wrong.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just being honest in saying; I have serious doubts about the season.  There appears to be a domino effect with these things, and just yesterday they cancelled the NFL HOF game (too bad for the Rev. Ike). Meanwhile numbers of cases and so forth are going up and should continue right into fall and winter.

I'm hoping this will not shock anyone but there's a good chance some or all of the basketball season will be lost. Like the cheeseman, I truly hope I'm wrong, about all this; but I think universities like SLU will err on the side of caution and the NCAA will do the right thing and extend eligibility.

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I’d rather not see them play live but have them play it out vs Dayton who got to watch the best Team they’ve ever had for pretty much nothing. 

Totally agree. Obviously, I’d love to be able to be there live, but I just want them to play. For my own selfish reasons, but also because JGood and Perk and Has deserve it. The whole team deserves it. I think it will be interesting to see what happens with baseball (and others) coming back. If they can get through their restarts (relatively) unscathed, it will give the NCAA a blueprint to follow.

Just now, CenHudDude said:

Unless things change radically in the next month, baseball might not happen..If the Marlins flew into NY today to play the Mets and/or Yanks they would have to self quarantine for two weeks.

Wouldn’t there be exceptions for these teams though, with the amount of testing MLB is going to be doing? It’s not exactly the same as Joe Blow from Sarasota flying to NYC

They say they’re gonna be testing guys several times a week. If players have tested negative 5 times in a row, a 14-day quarantine would be unnecessary 

12 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

They say they’re gonna be testing guys several times a week. If players have tested negative 5 times in a row, a 14-day quarantine would be unnecessary 

You bring up a good point about MLB testing, but Gov Cuomo has indicated that the quarantine will apply to sports teams.  He made a deal with the Mets and Yankees to return any of their players at spring training facilities in FL before announcing the quarantine.  He does allow the State Health Commissioner to make exceptions to the quarantine, so that could be the way this goes.

52 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

You bring up a good point about MLB testing, but Gov Cuomo has indicated that the quarantine will apply to sports teams.  He made a deal with the Mets and Yankees to return any of their players at spring training facilities in FL before announcing the quarantine.  He does allow the State Health Commissioner to make exceptions to the quarantine, so that could be the way this goes.

I’m also skeptical any of these sports leagues will be able to finish their seasons in the near term. Even if they resume, which isn’t a given with the current state of affairs, will they really keep plowing on if there’s a huge outbreak with one or two teams?

44 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

I’m also skeptical any of these sports leagues will be able to finish their seasons in the near term. Even if they resume, which isn’t a given with the current state of affairs, will they really keep plowing on if there’s a huge outbreak with one or two teams?

I don’t disagree with either one of you guys, but I do think they’re is some assumption that these guys (players, coaches, staff) will be smart and help in this effort to restart. They’re going to social distance from on and off the field. They’re gonna immediately report any symptoms. Go through with getting tested 3+ times a week. Now, if a governor won’t grant those exemptions, not a whole lot they can do about it. And realize it’s not exactly apples to apples, not being a team sport, but the PGA has had several individual positive tests without it spreading and becoming a bigger problem. Obviously, it’s a lot easier for guys to keep their distance on a putting green than it is 1st and 3rd with 1 out, but doesn’t seem like it would be absolutely impossible.

1 hour ago, Reinert310 said:

I don’t disagree with either one of you guys, but I do think they’re is some assumption that these guys (players, coaches, staff) will be smart and help in this effort to restart. They’re going to social distance from on and off the field. They’re gonna immediately report any symptoms. Go through with getting tested 3+ times a week. Now, if a governor won’t grant those exemptions, not a whole lot they can do about it. And realize it’s not exactly apples to apples, not being a team sport, but the PGA has had several individual positive tests without it spreading and becoming a bigger problem. Obviously, it’s a lot easier for guys to keep their distance on a putting green than it is 1st and 3rd with 1 out, but doesn’t seem like it would be absolutely impossible.

I do not trust the players to do the right thing.  We can not even get regular people to do the right things so how do we expect self indulgent athletes to do it.  

7 hours ago, cheeseman said:

I do not trust the players to do the right thing.  We can not even get regular people to do the right things so how do we expect self indulgent athletes to do it.  

Trust me, I hear you. Hopefully, when it involves their paycheck, they’d be smarter. And I think a lot of veteran guys would. But you got a bunch of young, 20-something, millionaire, often single guys, traveling to different cities to play baseball, I don’t trust them to be smart either lol. But I think the whole idea restarting the season hinges on the hope that these guys would act right. 

On 6/24/2020 at 11:07 AM, hmart23 said:

Hey Coach! Not necessarily related to Levi, but I was wondering if you had any insight into what Philip Russell is planning on doing. I haven't seen any new offers as of late and just really hope he lands at a good program. Loved watching him play and want him to succeed at the next level. 

Sorry for the late response.  Yeah,  Phil is a great kid.  I haven't heard anything lately.  I believe the new coach at SEMO offered again.  Couple JUCOs are trying to get him.  Ford really liked him too.  They had discussions but nothing came of it.  

Reinert310 and CBFan like this

On 6/27/2020 at 8:09 PM, Coach314 said:

Sorry for the late response.  Yeah,  Phil is a great kid.  I haven't heard anything lately.  I believe the new coach at SEMO offered again.  Couple JUCOs are trying to get him.  Ford really liked him too.  They had discussions but nothing came of it.  

Thanks for the reply! Wish him well. Just want everyone from the 314 and 618 to succeed and if it can be in a Billiken uniform even better

36 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

What you don't like 636?

29 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

It honestly just slipped my mind. lol. St. Charles County is fine by me. I'll eat a Fratelli's pizza every day of the week. 

I'm sure cheeseman was just messing with you hmart.  Still, thinking further about it, even with the proliferation of phone necessitating the need for additional area codes, it doesn't tend to change the area's "identity."  The St. Louis area will always been known as "The 3-1-4," even with some phone numbers having 636 area codes (including Chesterfield and other places besides St. Charles County [which still has some 314 numbers, right?]).

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I'm sure cheeseman was just messing with you hmart.  Still, thinking further about it, even with the proliferation of phone necessitating the need for additional area codes, it doesn't tend to change the area's "identity."  The St. Louis area will always been known as "The 3-1-4," even with some phone numbers having 636 area codes (including Chesterfield and other places besides St. Charles County [which still has some 314 numbers, right?]).

I figured! I just love the region as a whole. St. Louis is underrated. 

33 minutes ago, STLsportsfan said:

I’m not sure where to put this, but looks like Mike Lewis has picked up a new sport. 

Looks like he’s gonna be playing in Hungary.

59715A50-4AC1-48D4-8049-86CFB5F46C33.png

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Coach314 said:

tenor.gif

14 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Do you have news regarding Russell, @Coach314?

Hopefully this means that Russell is going to walk-on.  I fear this may may have to do with our internationals having issues with ICE and COVID.

Don't get me wrong, I'd would be great for Russell himself if he was on scholarship, but it sucks that it may come at the expense of someone else who may not get a chance at SLU because of the pandemic.