Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

You are a disgusting human being. 

Wait so you're not wishing me well?  You should be ashamed. 

• 4 weeks later...

We don't have any spots left, but I wanted to post this since he was mentioned in this thread.  It would appear that Phillip Russell is still looking for a landing spot.

4 scenarios where this may be relevant to SLU:

1. Linssen and/or Lorentsson end up not returning /coming to the US because of COVID and a 2020 scholarship is available.

2. Russell goes JUCO and is a potential recruit in 2022

3. Russell takes a prep year and is a potential recruit in 2021.

4. Russell decides to walk-on

I have no inside info.  I'm not sure any of those are remotely likely.

This is a tough year for recruits — and all those graduating from high school — as they navigate the immediate and short-term future on the heels of this plague (and the global reaction to it).  [I can hardly imagine the deflating horror  of cancelled proms and drive-through commencement exercises.  Yet some of them will be stronger for it.  They will have managed to weather much tougher circumstances than most of us ever had to.]

2 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

This is a tough year for recruits — and all those graduating from high school — as they navigate the immediate and short-term future on the heels of this plague (and the global reaction to it).  [I can hardly imagine the deflating horror  of cancelled proms and drive-through commencement exercises.  Yet some of them will be stronger for it.  They will have managed to weather much tougher circumstances than most of us ever had to.]

Obviously, you didn’t see me after my prom after party. You wanna talk about tough circumstances. Lol.🤣

On 5/23/2020 at 8:27 PM, TheA_Bomb said:

Wait so you're not wishing me well?  You should be ashamed. 

No. Explain why you are against me wishIng Levi well.  Different than if we should have signed him ahead of Okoro and/or Linssen. You have something against Vashon players? Urban kids?  Yes. Disgusting. No place on this Board for such actions. 

4 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

No. Explain why you are against me wishIng Levi well.  Different than if we should have signed him ahead of Okoro and/or Linssen. You have something against Vashon players? Urban kids?  Yes. Disgusting. No place on this Board for such actions. 

🙄
finishing this post off with the use of “urban kids” is -chef’s kiss-

Box and Won and Pistol like this

On 5/24/2020 at 7:37 AM, Coach314 said:

Just for clarification....the coaching staff didn't share some of the views that are being discussed about Stockard.  They were in talks with him.  Discussed playing time and minutes.  It was a timing issue.  Linssen committed and then Francis became available.  It's over.  Let's move on.

Hey Coach! Not necessarily related to Levi, but I was wondering if you had any insight into what Philip Russell is planning on doing. I haven't seen any new offers as of late and just really hope he lands at a good program. Loved watching him play and want him to succeed at the next level. 

59 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

Hey Coach! Not necessarily related to Levi, but I was wondering if you had any insight into what Philip Russell is planning on doing. I haven't seen any new offers as of late and just really hope he lands at a good program. Loved watching him play and want him to succeed at the next level. 

He tweeted again recently that he's still wide open in his recruitment.

1 minute ago, kmbilliken said:

Based on the current state of the pandemic, it’s doubtful either of our Euro recruits will be making it here any time soon.

International players are generally later arrivals - usually early August, whereas North American players are pretty much all on campus by mid-late June at the latest - but I wonder if we're going to have to wait past August for our two European players. I really hope not. I would love to find a way to get them here by then and have the team in one spot.

A lot is in doubt heading into this season, really.

TheChosenOne likes this

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

International players are generally later arrivals - usually early August, whereas North American players are pretty much all on campus by mid-late June at the latest - but I wonder if we're going to have to wait past August for our two European players. I really hope not. I would love to find a way to get them here by then and have the team in one spot.

A lot is in doubt heading into this season, really.

Agree with lots of doubt with the season I am concerned.

If we cannot attend games I hope SLU will offer a game streaming package for the season I will gladly pay for it.

Billiken Rich likes this

8 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Agree with lots of doubt with the season I am concerned.

If we cannot attend games I hope SLU will offer a game streaming package for the season I will gladly pay for it.

I think they'd have to do something to make up lost revenue

1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

I think they'd have to do something to make up lost revenue

Most of the home games are already on cable so why would you pay much to stream the few games that are not on tv?

52 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

So I could watch every game???

52 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

No, Just most of them.  Somehow you misread my post about MOST HOME games being on tv and converted it into a question about EVERY game.  By the way, even though I didn't mention it in my post, quite a few road games were also on basic cable tv , just to name a few;   St. Joe, Richmond and Rhode Island.

But if you want to pay to stream ALL the games, feel free to do so. 

My only point was that it wouldn't increase Ath Dept revenues significantly if they tried to substitute (for games not already scheduled to be on tv) streaming revenue for lost ticket and concession revenue.  If games cannot have fans in the stands, maybe even more of a loss to the AD is the premium many season ticket holders have to pay just to get their seats.  If you aren't going to be able to get your seats you (with a few exceptions) aren 't going to pay the additional seat lug .  I believe it is critical for AD revenues to come up with some plan to sell some tickets for most games,  and I, for one, in this crazy season would be willing to pay a small premium for any game tickets I could purchase.

20 hours ago, Pistol said:

He tweeted again recently that he's still wide open in his recruitment.

I saw that. I try to keep up, but haven't seen him get any new offers. Genuinely surprised that he hasn't been scooped up by someone. I know he isn't a top tier prospect but he seems like a kid that plenty of coaches would love to have. 

On 6/24/2020 at 4:59 PM, bauman said:

No, Just most of them.  Somehow you misread my post about MOST HOME games being on tv and converted it into a question about EVERY game.  By the way, even though I didn't mention it in my post, quite a few road games were also on basic cable tv , just to name a few;   St. Joe, Richmond and Rhode Island.

But if you want to pay to stream ALL the games, feel free to do so. 

My only point was that it wouldn't increase Ath Dept revenues significantly if they tried to substitute (for games not already scheduled to be on tv) streaming revenue for lost ticket and concession revenue.  If games cannot have fans in the stands, maybe even more of a loss to the AD is the premium many season ticket holders have to pay just to get their seats.  If you aren't going to be able to get your seats you (with a few exceptions) aren 't going to pay the additional seat lug .  I believe it is critical for AD revenues to come up with some plan to sell some tickets for most games,  and I, for one, in this crazy season would be willing to pay a small premium for any game tickets I could purchase.

You said why would I pay to stream when most games are on TV? I responded saying that I wanted to watch every game. I figured the resident board language/spelling nazi would get this, but it doesn't mean I want to stream every game - just those that are not on TV. Which, yes, is a rarity nowadays, but with COVID, broadcasting crews in non-P6 arenas is not an automatic at this point. I brought up the thought of the AD streaming every game  - I would pay an irresponsible amount to not miss Bills games that I can't attend.

Chill man, this is a message board for Billiken basketball, just no reason to take it so seriously.

Between regular cable; FSMW, NBCS, and CBSSN, ESPN, and ESPN+ I think I missed seeing only 2 games last year. But if SLU was to make a deal, I'd buy it. All that said, I'm really getting a sinking feeling about this season even happening. We were led to believe that once summer got here, we should see a downturn in the # of cases. It seems just the opposite has happened. Now, that could be due to the increase in testing where unknown cases are now known, but we're also being told this plague would bounce back on us in the fall months and flu season. It just seems that we've got some distance to go in getting this under control.