Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

My order of preference would be Okoro, Russell, Stockard. Wow, just 2 weeks ago I was praying for Stockard to transfer.

Anyone that chooses Stockard over Okoro needs their head examined. With Okoro taking the next year to recover from health issues and Linssen filling our need for an immediate big, the answer is quite clear.

Senior class of Okoro, Collins, and Hargrove has the blood flowing.   ....and Bell and Thatch !

37 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Are we really chasing players out, or are we waiting to see how the outcome of French and Goodwin applying for the NBA draft works out? Coaches have to cover all angles, as you all know. I think French and Goodwin will be back for next season, but I do not believe this is a 100% certain outcome. Therefore I think Ford is well served by keeping some options open, just in case he has to exercise them. Keeping options open can be done at least for a period of time.

Agreed.  French and Goodwin aren't locks to come back.  Have to be prepared for different scenarios.  

22 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Cusumano just said on his show that while he can’t get into details, “things are brewing”, not only for this recruiting class, but for the next one too, and Billikens fans should be excited about it.

Even though he misses on a few predictions, I am really glad we have a prominent local sports personality like Frank who talks Billikens Basketball frequently unlike the other local radio hosts.  One other TV guy who covers the Bills more than most, is Martin K on Fox 2.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

i tend to agree.   but cant help but hope we arent chasing players to make this happen.    but wont deny getting a player of the potential of Okoro would be incredible.  

My gut on Ford says he's probably real with the players on their potential to play. I believe most D1 players would think just as I do if I was in that situation. I'd rather leave and play. I know SLU is a good education, but there are plenty of schools where I can get a good education. 

billiken_roy likes this

2 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

My gut on Ford says he's probably real with the players on their potential to play. I believe most D1 players would think just as I do if I was in that situation. I'd rather leave and play. I know SLU is a good education, but there are plenty of schools where I can get a good education. 

as long as the player makes the decision.   i am good with that.

GBL_Bills likes this

Here's what would meet Frank's test of "fans should be excited," while still passing the Roy requirement of not pulling anyone's scholarship.

MD sees the playing time writing on the wall and transfers to a school back east;  Okoro signs on (taking the MD sch. slot) and takes next year as his redshirt leaving him with 2 yrs to play;  Nesbitt verbals to SLU for the following class!    (Icing on the cake-Kern verbals along with Nesbitt).  That would be my dream scenario !

As Old Guy would say, "It could happen, or not." 

Just now, bauman said:

Here's what would meet Frank's test of "fans should be excited," while still passing the Roy requirement of not pulling anyone's scholarship.

MD sees the playing time writing on the wall and transfers to a school back east;  Okoro signs on (taking the MD sch. slot) and takes next year as his redshirt leaving him with 2 yrs to play;  Nesbitt verbals to SLU for the following class!    (Icing on the cake-Kern verbals along with Nesbitt).  That would be my dream scenario !

This is the perfect scenario.

if it plays out like this I’m going to need a bigger towel.

7 minutes ago, bauman said:

Yeah. When I heard it, my thoughts largely were the above, but I think the more likely scenario is that instead of Okoro, we get Russell, and Kern commits with Russell. Maybe things go especially well and we get Nesbit too.

8 minutes ago, dlarry said:

This is the perfect scenario.

if it plays out like this I’m going to need a bigger towel.

Looking at how adding Okoro and Nesbitt to the active 2021-22 roster would impact the Billikens "Program,"  getting Okoro would serve as the perfect replacement for French for 2 yrs and Nesbitt could immediately step into the Goodwin slot for the next 4.  Along with all the other outstanding players who will be on those rosters (the last two years recruiting classes) and we will have turned into a Nova/Creighton/Xavier level Program!

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Cusumano just said on his show that while he can’t get into details, “things are brewing”, not only for this recruiting class, but for the next one too, and Billikens fans should be excited about it.

I am one with the universe.. - Album on Imgur

I've never experienced priapism before but that is about to change.

JohnnyJumpUp and StlBills like this

12 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Yeah. When I heard it, my thoughts largely were the above, but I think the more likely scenario is that instead of Okoro, we get Russell, and Kern commits with Russell. Maybe things go especially well and we get Nesbit too.

Both Russell and Kern are good players and I would be glad to have them commit to SLU, however they would not cause, at least this Billikens fan, to be "excited."  Happy? Yes.  Excited? Not quite to that level. 

BTW, lets not start down the Billiken Roy path of misspelling  a player (recruits) name.  Everything I have seen  has Nesbitt with 2 "t's" , and, of course, Jimerson with one "m." 😉 

26 minutes ago, bauman said:

I am glad you get it Bauman, what the sentence above describes is a possibility. Something that may happen, or not. When you start talking about probability, there is some indication that under certain conditions which are present but not dominant at the time, the described event may happen. In other words, a probable event is an upgrade to a possible event. This sounds pretty semantic but is nevertheless correct. The event of either French or Goodwin not returning has a low (very low) probability of happening.

17 minutes ago, bauman said:

Both Russell and Kern are good players and I would be glad to have them commit to SLU, however they would not cause, at least this Billikens fan, to be "excited."  Happy? Yes.  Excited? Not quite to that level. 

BTW, lets not start down the Billiken Roy path of misspelling  a player (recruits) name.  Everything I have seen  has Nesbitt with 2 "t's" , and, of course, Jimerson with one "m." 😉 

Just remember Frank thinks if any local player commits it's a reason to be excited. He's got a little Vtime in him

12 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I am glad you get it Bauman, what the sentence above describes is a possibility. Something that may happen, or not. When you start talking about probability, there is some indication that under certain conditions which are present but not dominant at the time, the described event may happen. In other words, a probable event is an upgrade to a possible event. This sounds pretty semantic but is nevertheless correct. The event of either French or Goodwin not returning has a low (very low) probability of happening.

Kern is a player I would get excited about after watching him play. Hope you do too.

brianstl likes this

19 minutes ago, bauman said:

Landing Kern, a player is who is potentially a starter as an upperclassman, would be good news.  Re-establishing a relationship with a local school that is producing more D-1 recruits than anytime in its history, is what would make it exciting.

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

Landing Kern, a player is who is potentially a starter as an upperclassman, would be good news.  Re-establishing a relationship with a local school that is producing more D-1 recruits than anytime in its history, is what would make it exciting.

You are right about that.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

as long as the player makes the decision.   i am good with that.

Does this include a conversation along the lines of "you are unlikely to ever get playing time here, but we can use all of our great connections to help you find a school where you will play and get a quality education"?

4 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

You'll "first" need to convince a current scholarship player to leave.

Normal time frames are out the window during these crazy times.    With that said, silence by now on Thatch indicates to me that he will most likely be back.  And if he cannot got next Fall, so be it.  His scholarship appears safe.

As to Diarra, he has been the huge unknown as Spring.  He played this year and did NOT redshirt.   Yes, only 10 minutes, yes he is coming off a major injury, yes he is a big man who normally take time to develop.... but still, he has been the huge unknown.  Hard to read anything good into the situation for him based on the 10 minutes played and the otherwise silence. And maybe things have now changed with the landing of Marten Linssen for the next 2 years.   Maybe being the backup (3rd big) without Hankton and behind a Senior who might go now while being on a good team and at a good school was a good situation but now being the 4th guy and buried on the depth chart is not?

19 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Normal time frames are out the window during these crazy times.    With that said, silence by now on Thatch indicates to me that he will most likely be back.  And if he cannot got next Fall, so be it.  His scholarship appears safe.

As to Diarra, he has been the huge unknown as Spring.  He played this year and did NOT redshirt.   Yes, only 10 minutes, yes he is coming off a major injury, yes he is a big man who normally take time to develop.... but still, he has been the huge unknown.  Hard to read anything good into the situation for him based on the 10 minutes played and the otherwise silence. And maybe things have now changed with the landing of Marten Linssen for the next 2 years.   Maybe being the backup (3rd big) without Hankton and behind a Senior who might go now while being on a good team and at a good school was a good situation but now being the 4th guy and buried on the depth chart is not?

I have been a vocal supporter of Diarra, but you’re right Clock, sometimes the situation just changes, and it’s not really anybody’s fault. I still think Diarra could turn into a really good player, with SLU or another school. But with the addition of Linssen, maybe he sees the writing on the wall. I’m sure he’s at least aware of the rumors that we’re talking to other big men as well. If Madani is on the roster next year, I hope he gets a chance to prove himself and really excels. If he’s not, I wish him the best in the future. But the situation has most certainly changed in the past week or so.