Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

1 minute ago, Aquinas said:

I think it is better to look at Yuri's scoring on a play by play basis. For example,  Yuri has the ball at the top of the key, is it better for him to take the shot or pass to an open Perkins, Jimerson or French or a cutting Goodwin or Hargrove.  The percentages are generally better for a pass.  It really doesn't matter what Yuri averages as long as the highest percentage shot is taken so the team average improves. 

Yuri has already shown great clock awareness, and will put up a good 3, before letting the clock expire. Yuri basically gives some of his shooting opportunities to other players, lowering his scoring totals, while inflating those around him. Yuri is all about exploiting the best shot opportunity on every possession. 

Totally agree. I just feel like there’s 1 or 2 times a game where he catches a pass in rhythm to put up a jumper. Now of course, some of those times, he makes a great play to earn an assist. But I would like to see him take a few more shots each game. I think he’s perfectly capable of contributing more in the scoring column...and I think he will. It’s sometimes hard for me to remember he was just a freshman last year. 

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, slufan13 said:

A full season of Jimerson and Perkins on the floor will clear the paint significantly for Goodwin and French. Add in Collins' passing and vision and I think you have dynamic (but small) lineup. And by dynamic, I mean like a lineup that could go to the Final Four. 

And dorks like me who saw Goodwin play a lot in high school would finally get to see him truly playing the PF position which continues to best utilize his skill set! Obviously need to see those 5 playing together, but that is a really talented 5 with a lot of talent on the bench. It is going to be an awesome season, glad we upgraded our season tickets last summer! Now I just need to retain my job so we can afford them...

A lot of potential lineups we can throw out there, really impressive to see the talent that Ford and his coaching staff have brought on campus.

Old guy likes this

20 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

And dorks like me who saw Goodwin play a lot in high school would finally get to see him truly playing the PF position which continues to best utilize his skill set! Obviously need to see those 5 playing together, but that is a really talented 5 with a lot of talent on the bench. It is going to be an awesome season, glad we upgraded our season tickets last summer! Now I just need to retain my job so we can afford them...

A lot of potential lineups we can throw out there, really impressive to see the talent that Ford and his coaching staff have brought on campus.

I’m just gonna throw this out there, and if I’m wrong, all you MBM’s can feel free to heckle me about it after next year. I think Hargrove is gonna make a huge leap this offseason. He had to basically relearn a lot of things throughout the season. Now that he can keep up with offensive and defensive schemes, he can just go out there play ball. I think he may end doing some crazy (in a good way) things next season!

On 4/18/2020 at 12:09 PM, TheChosenOne said:

I don't think that is true about his age. At the time I remember hearing one of the reasons he reclassified was because he was going to be too old to play high school basketball in Illinois his senior season. That was the first time I had ever heard of that being a rule. So he was going to have to find a new home regardless and was able to cram thru the hours to graduate early.

After a quick Google search, he will turn 21 this summer, so he is still on the old side of being a sophomore/soon to be junior in college. My understanding is that he was late to the game of basketball, so a year off could be really good for him to work on his game.

I am really starting to wonder if that birthdate for Okoro is actually correct since he played on the same U17 team as Collins and Hargrove.

32 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I’m just gonna throw this out there, and if I’m wrong, all you MBM’s can feel free to heckle me about it after next year. I think Hargrove is gonna make a huge leap this offseason. He had to basically relearn a lot of things throughout the season. Now that he can keep up with offensive and defensive schemes, he can just go out there play ball. I think he may end doing some crazy (in a good way) things next season!

He's going to be a tough one to keep off the floor. 

41 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I am really starting to wonder if that birthdate for Okoro is actually correct since he played on the same U17 team as Collins and Hargrove.

Yeah, he played with the BBE 17s in back to back years (2017 and 2018) and with the 16s the year before that. I am not certain what the age restrictions are in the EYBL as I know some guys have played after their senior seasons (I know Josh Wallace did last year and have seen a few others). I was fairly certain his age played a part in him looking to reclassify.

7 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

Agree.  I am one of his biggest fans and yet I forget about him at times too.  But he came up really big at times - that 3 pointer to stop the momentum against Rhode Island (I think it was RI).  Many other big time plays from him too.
Now that he went through Defensive Boot Camp as well as Defense 101 and 102 all in one year, and now that we have 4 bigs to battle each other each each day at practice and man the lane in games, the speed of the game will slow down for him, and Hargrove can and will thrive at playing offense and being a wing.   

6 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

This sounds intriguing. Can you elaborate, @Coach314?

I can't repeat everything I have heard.  But I can confirm that SLU is definitely interested in Stockard,  Okoro and that Ford really likes Russell.  What that means in terms of possible roster moves idk but I heard Diarra might be leaving.

8 hours ago, Coach314 said:

I can't repeat everything I have heard.  But I can confirm that SLU is definitely interested in Stockard,  Okoro and that Ford really likes Russell.  What that means in terms of possible roster moves idk but I heard Diarra might be leaving.

Thanks, Coach. I’m not sure how they could squeeze all three on the roster since I don’t see that many current players leaving, but that’s definitely interesting. This staff’s ability to recruit is incredible.

9 hours ago, Coach314 said:

Thanks for the info. I would be good with swapping Diarra for Okoro and calling it done. I'm not sure I would want anyone else to leave to make room for the other two.

For folks who have seen him, is Russell an A-10 caliber player?

9 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Thanks for the info. I would be good with swapping Diarra for Okoro and calling it done. I'm not sure I would want anyone else to leave to make room for the other two.

I would think that he is. My hesitation with Russell, though, isn't specific to him. We have a PG who averaged over 31 minutes a game as a freshman. Would you really want to be another 5-10 guard in the class immediately behind him? I would want at least one class in between YC and the next true PG or it seems like a recipe for a frustrated player who would transfer in a year or two.

billiken_roy likes this

20 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Physically he might be borderline. Not tall. Not crazy long. Not the most explosive player on the floor. May have trouble creating his own shot in the beginning. BUT I truly think Phil is a DOG. He loves to play defense. His jumper will translate anywhere he goes. I think he works super hard on and off the floor. 

After seeing him play quite alot the past couple years this is the video that did it for me. Not sure exactly why. But I just love the way he plays and his attitude on and off the court. 

Littlebill likes this

Just now, Taj79 said:

I thought Russell was a short(ish) two-guard more than a point.

He's a scorer. Shooter first right now. I definitely think he has the abililty to play the point though. Vashons offense involved  alot of ball movement. Less true points running the show. Felt like Kobe Clark ran the point from the high post more than anyone to me. 

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I would think that he is. My hesitation with Russell, though, isn't specific to him. We have a PG who averaged over 31 minutes a game as a freshman. Would you really want to be another 5-10 guard in the class immediately behind him? I would want at least one class in between YC and the next true PG or it seems like a recipe for a frustrated player who would transfer in a year or two.

Good point.  It's not an ideal situation but it is a familiar one.  And small mid-major recruits don't have many options when it comes to team quality.  Either he takes his chances here or he takes his chances at a really bad program.