Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

14 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

This may be true, but I think Frank does have sources/connections that would put him in good position to know what’s going on. I think he knows people in or around Vashon, and I speculate that he gets some of his intel from Ford directly.

I also think that Carter gets info from some member of the staff, though more likely an assistant or basketball ops staff member. 

Who knows who will be correct in the end.

Frank gets the majority of his information from area high school coaches, which helps explain why he misses on some of his recruiting scoops. 

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don’t think I’ve seen this posted but Markhi did a little periscope interview on twitter and talks some about the Bills. It kind of hops all over the place but starts talking Billikens at 10:30 in. Sounds like he has a likes his relationship with Coach Ford and all the other coaches and really emphasized how he like the “family” aspect of team blue.

im still in the camp of a contributing big 1st, a best available graduate transfer second.   i just dont see the need for another guard on this roster that will occupy a roster slot for 4 years.  next year with goodwin and perkins gone, sure bring him  or another guard in if ford deems he is the best option we can get.  

So I just listened to Frank’s mention of Russell from his show today. He basically said that according to his SLU people, while they’re trying to keep it quiet right now, there would be an announcement soon that Russell’s coming to SLU. He said he’s not sure what the cause for the delay is, and whether it’s related to another player leaving is unclear.

13 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

So I just listened to Frank’s mention of Russell from his show today. He basically said that according to his SLU people, while they’re trying to keep it quiet right now, there would be an announcement soon that Russell’s coming to SLU. He said he’s not sure what the cause for the delay is, and whether it’s related to another player leaving is unclear.

But I will go on my radio show (although it is possible only a handful of people listen to that) and announce it for Russell and the program. I assume Frank is right on this and he has solid information, but I think you allow the kid to make the announcement.

I don't have a strong opinion either way on Russell.

4 hours ago, Littlebill said:

Or Udeze from Wichita

There's also the big from Coppin State.

Of course, the Russell rumor made my statement look pretty stupid almost immediately.

27 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

But I will go on my radio show (although it is possible only a handful of people listen to that) and announce it for Russell and the program. I assume Frank is right on this and he has solid information, but I think you allow the kid to make the announcement.

Yeah, it’s an interesting move. I think there was a time since Ford has been here (maybe the Corey Tate hiring) that Frank knew in advance but agreed to hold off on announcing it for a day or so. Then, while he was holding off announcing it to be courteous, the news broke from another source and Frank wasn’t happy. Maybe he decided not to be Mr. Nice Guy anymore.

billiken_roy likes this

10 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Yeah, it’s an interesting move. I think there was a time since Ford has been here (maybe the Corey Tate hiring) that Frank knew in advance but agreed to hold off on announcing it for a day or so. Then, while he was holding off announcing it to be courteous, the news broke from another source and Frank wasn’t happy. Maybe he decided not to be Mr. Nice Guy anymore.

This isn't meant to be argumentative, but who cares if you get the scoop on where a high school kid is going to commit? Like what does Frank get out of it? Let the kid have his moment and then do a story on it when he makes his announcement.  I'm sure a number of folks tend to know where a kid is going to commit the moments leading up to an announcement, but I seldom see media folks scoop it like that.

8 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

This isn't meant to be argumentative, but who cares if you get the scoop on where a high school kid is going to commit? Like what does Frank get out of it? Let the kid have his moment and then do a story on it when he makes his announcement.  I'm sure a number of folks tend to know where a kid is going to commit the moments leading up to an announcement, but I seldom see media folks scoop it like that.

I don’t disagree with you. It may be different for the national media people who cover recruiting as a larger portion of their job, but I don’t really know if it’s a big feather in Frank’s cap if he reports this first. I already know he has a better handle on the local HS basketball scene than basically anyone else on the air in STL, unless you add in Earl Austin Jr.

TheChosenOne likes this

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

My guess is...he wouldn’t have made such an announcement against Russell’s wishes. I’m guessing someone told Frank it was ok to announce it. Frank has not amassed all the sources he has by pissing off kids and/or high school coaches. From the SLU perspective, I don’t think he cares. But I doubt he would make an announcement like that without the ok at least from his source. But that’s just speculation on my part.

Just now, Reinert310 said:

My guess is...he wouldn’t have made such an announcement against Russell’s wishes. I’m guessing someone told Frank it was ok to announce it. Frank has not amassed all the sources he has by pissing off kids and/or high school coaches. From the SLU perspective, I don’t think he cares. But I doubt he would make an announcement like that without the ok at least from his source. But that’s just speculation on my part.

It could be that Russell’s camp is trying to nudge SLU in the direction of offering

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

It could be that Russell’s camp is trying to nudge SLU in the direction of offering

I thought that too. Put some heat on Ford to officially offer. Wouldn’t surprise me.

1 hour ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I don’t disagree with you. It may be different for the national media people who cover recruiting as a larger portion of their job, but I don’t really know if it’s a big feather in Frank’s cap if he reports this first. I already know he has a better handle on the local HS basketball scene than basically anyone else on the air in STL, unless you add in Earl Austin Jr.

Frank's a fan. He's not trying for anything but to be able to share great news for a team he roots for. Same as when someone first post on here that we landed whomever.

1 hour ago, Reinert310 said:

I thought that too. Put some heat on Ford to officially offer. Wouldn’t surprise me.

-everyone has their approach, I am not close by any stretch to recruiting, but would think putting pressure on the program to make an offer is not the best course to take

9 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-everyone has their approach, I am not close by any stretch to recruiting, but would think putting pressure on the program to make an offer is not the best course to take

You could be right. It depends on how close the offer is to becoming a reality to begin with. If there’s mutual interest but SLU is waiting to see how other chips fall, putting a little pressure on can’t hurt. 

11 hours ago, almaman said:

get a mask for Pitbull stay 6' away but party like it's 1999

Yawn on any signing of Russell.  No Pitbull for me.  Weaver has long been replaced and wasn't all that much anyway.  If we cannot land a transfer/big, then I would rather save the scholarship.

billiken_roy likes this

10 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Yawn on any signing of Russell.  No Pitbull for me.  Weaver has long been replaced and wasn't all that much anyway.  If we cannot land a transfer/big, then I would rather save the scholarship.

I feel that when Yuri has to sit the offense bogged down, the best example was the Rhode Island game.

I am probably wrong and I trust most posters on this site about players but I feel Russell will be a better sub for Yuri than Jacobs, Thatch, or Goodwin for running the offense.  I think Russell could be a better player than Weaver.

Can anyone post some information on Russell running the point?  Does Russell run it effectively?

36 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I feel that when Yuri has to sit the offense bogged down, the best example was the Rhode Island game.

I am probably wrong and I trust most posters on this site about players but I feel Russell will be a better sub for Yuri than Jacobs, Thatch, or Goodwin for running the offense.  I think Russell could be a better player than Weaver.

Can anyone post some information on Russell running the point?  Does Russell run it effectively?

If he's being recruited by D1 schools I would say he has to.

48 minutes ago, CBFan said:

You could be right.  I haven't watched Russell.  If he can challenge Yuri for time, maybe replace Yuri b/c of his apparent better shooting, then fine - lets sign him.   But if Yuri plays 32 mpg, then I am not worried about the remaining 8 mpg - especially for a guy who will sit behind Yuri for 3 years.  2 years is a different story - as I believe we should sign a PG next year so that Yuri is a JR and our heir apparent is a Freshman.  And as they say, there is nothing worse for a college program to sign a local player and then have him become disgruntled.  If we want Nick Kern and if we want a Vashon pipeline, then let's not take a risk and ruin this pipeline with an undersized guy who might get 8 mpg. Play both Yuri and Russell?   No thanks.  If both Yuri and Russell are only 5'10", I am not interested in such a small backcourt.  And as far a good shooting, no one has pleaded for more/better perimeter shooters than me, and while I am suspect of some high school shooting percentages, even assuming Russell is as good as advertised, I point out that Tay Weaver struggled at times and could more easily be defended/shut down this past year - not because he lacked skill - but b/c he was/is only 5'10" and help side defenses showed teams could more easily recover.  Further, Tay got pushed around in the lane - and Russell would be no different.   Are we giving up on bully ball?  Hope not.  So who are we replacing Weaver with?  6'5" Jimerson and 6'8" Lorentsson.  

And moving either Jacobs or Goodwin back to their PG roles (our team roles were scrambled this past year due to the unexpected losses of both Fred (1 of the Big 3) and Jimerson), together with incremental improvement due to an additional year of age/experience will help ensure our offense flows better without Yuri.  

billiken_roy and CBFan like this

29 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

You could be right.  I haven't watched Russell.  If he can challenge Yuri for time, maybe replace Yuri b/c of his apparent better shooting, then fine - lets sign him.   But if Yuri plays 32 mpg, then I am not worried about the remaining 8 mpg - especially for a guy who will sit behind Yuri for 3 years.  2 years is a different story - as I believe we should sign a PG next year so that Yuri is a JR and our heir apparent is a Freshman.  And as they say, there is nothing worse for a college program to sign a local player and then have him become disgruntled.  If we want Nick Kern and if we want a Vashon pipeline, then let's not take a risk and ruin this pipeline with an undersized guy who might get 8 mpg. Play both Yuri and Russell?   No thanks.  If both Yuri and Russell are only 5'10", I am not interested in such a small backcourt.  And as far a good shooting, no one has pleaded for more/better perimeter shooters than me, and while I am suspect of some high school shooting percentages, even assuming Russell is as good as advertised, I point out that Tay Weaver struggled at times and could more easily be defended/shut down this past year - not because he lacked skill - but b/c he was/is only 5'10" and help side defenses showed teams could more easily recover.  Further, Tay got pushed around in the lane - and Russell would be no different.   Are we giving up on bully ball?  Hope not.  So who are we replacing Weaver with?  6'5" Jimerson and 6'8" Lorentsson.  

And moving either Jacobs or Goodwin back to their PG roles (our team roles were scrambled this past year due to the unexpected losses of both Fred (1 of the Big 3) and Jimerson), together with incremental improvement due to an additional year of age/experience will help ensure our offense flows better without Yuri.  

I too am not sold on Russell now (admitting I haven't seen him play) for this very reason. If Jimerson didn't go down last season, then Weaver would have seen him time diminish to mop up activity. And don't forget Strickland's athletic ability and shooting ability. I just don't see the minutes for Russell at this point, especially assuming you have Yuri and Thatch for 3 more years, Jacobs for 2, and Jimerson and Strickland for 4, not to mention TJ for 3 as well. 

47 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

If he  could challenge Yuri for playing time he'd be committed to Duke already

SLU_Nick likes this