Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

I understand the joke you are trying to make, but I'm pretty sure you've got the details wrong.  #3 in the picture in his tweet is former SLU player Ash Yacoubou not Dusan Mahorcic.  Other pictures in Dusan's twitter feed that are actually him make it seem like his number is #21.  Diarra is #21, so I actually think the joke works better with the correct details.

You had to have lived through the 'glory days' to understand.  #3 is Perkins, today.  Hence, Perkins would have to leave to give #3 to Mahorcic.  Just fast forward.

On 4/8/2020 at 3:29 PM, almaman said:

I think we still have chance Diarra develops. as for new folks after 3 hopefully 4 yers of Hassan at the line we should have a "FT% < 80% need not apply" sign on Tf's door.

I agree.  Diarra seems quite athletic, seems to have a great attitude, a team guy.  With that, a year in the system and a year to heal ..... I think he could be a major surprise.  Granted, my insight is limited .... but so is the insight of those writing him off.

SLU_Lax and Billiken Rich like this

1 minute ago, WVBilliken said:

I agree.  Diarra seems quite athletic, seems to have a great attitude, a team guy.  With that, a year in the system and a year to heal ..... I think he could be a major surprise.  Granted, my insight is limited .... but so is the insight of those writing him off.

Good point, we just don't know about him either way. But if healthy he does appear athletic. A guy like Mahorcic will attract a lot of interest and offers because of his size and skill set, and would help most programs including ours. That being said, French still get 30 minutes next year and I don't see him taking minutes away from Bell, just would depend on how Bell can expand his minutes. Minutes are to be earned.

On 4/8/2020 at 2:30 PM, 3star_recruit said:

Maybe landing a proven D-1 caliber big when you already have an all-conference starter and another quality big is harder than we thought.  Mahorcic is getting solid mid-major offers so other schools see the potential.  And he put in some serious work to get to 230 after being a stringbean in high school.  Not an exciting offer but potentially a good fit.

Just my take, and I can certainly be wrong, but I think the biggest issue we (SLU and Coach Ford) is having has more to do with the uncertainty of the NCAA transfer rules. 

In short, we are an attractive program, we are a winning program, Coach Ford seems like a guy players want to play for, we made the NCAA last year, we were in contention this year (I think we would have impressed in the A10 Tourney) and guys want to come to SLU.   

At the same time, normal transfers would prefer not to sit a year but also don't want to sit behind French.   Someone among these guys would probably have committed by now - but for the NCAA proposed rule -- and would lead us after French graduates.  Right now, though, if they don't have to sit a year, even though they like SLU/Ford, maybe they find a less crowded place than SLU if they only have 1 or 2 years left  And all along, we have known that a graduate transfer big may not be so quick to choose SLU this year b/c we have French, Bell and Diarra - and likely can/will play 4 guards as we are really deep at guards..   

16 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Just my take, and I can certainly be wrong, but I think the biggest issue we (SLU and Coach Ford) is having has more to do with the uncertainty of the NCAA transfer rules. 

In short, we are an attractive program, we are a winning program, Coach Ford seems like a guy players want to play for, we made the NCAA last year, we were in contention this year (I think we would have impressed in the A10 Tourney) and guys want to come to SLU.   

At the same time, normal transfers would prefer not to sit a year but also don't want to sit behind French.   Someone among these guys would probably have committed by now - but for the NCAA proposed rule -- and would lead us after French graduates.  Right now, though, if they don't have to sit a year, even though they like SLU/Ford, maybe they find a less crowded place than SLU if they only have 1 or 2 years left  And all along, we have known that a graduate transfer big may not be so quick to choose SLU this year b/c we have French, Bell and Diarra - and likely can/will play 4 guards as we are really deep at guards..   

"and likely can/will play 4 guards as we are really deep at guards" .....  well, yes and no.  SLU is deep in 2's and 3's.  If Ford thinks Diarra can contribute meaningful minutes next year, would love that last scholarship to go to a 1.  Understand Collins makes that difficult because of the minutes he will play, but the offense struggled when he was not on the floor.  Neither Jacobs nor Goodwin seem to be able to adequately fill Collins shoes in the 1 capacity.

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

You had to have lived through the 'glory days' to understand.  #3 is Perkins, today.  Hence, Perkins would have to leave to give #3 to Mahorcic.  Just fast forward.

My mans just told RUBF he had to have lived through 2016 to understand.... 

RU has been here a long time, my friend.

3 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

Diarra showed about as much athleticism as 05 this season. I’m sure he may have some once he regains some flexibility in his legs, but he’s a long term project. If that knee doesn’t get better (like Tiger’s spinal fusion type better) then I think he’ll have to be recruited over

1 hour ago, WVBilliken said:

"and likely can/will play 4 guards as we are really deep at guards" .....  well, yes and no.  SLU is deep in 2's and 3's.  If Ford thinks Diarra can contribute meaningful minutes next year, would love that last scholarship to go to a 1.  Understand Collins makes that difficult because of the minutes he will play, but the offense struggled when he was not on the floor.  Neither Jacobs nor Goodwin seem to be able to adequately fill Collins shoes in the 1 capacity.

Not so sure about the lack of a back up 1.  

First of all, if Yuri plays 32 mpg, how important really is the other 8 minutes?  And assuming important, and assuming we had such a big drop off, how much could be explained simply as an adjustment to a different PG with different skills and abilities.   Did not even very good SLU PGs simply play different styles, tempo, passing schemes?  Yuri is certainly unique.

And assuming the drop off, how much was as a result of injuries/sickness to BOTH Jimerson and Thatch?  Without these guys, the rest of our guys had to play/assume different roles.   Even with Yuri, we were a bad shooting team.  Thatch and Jimerson both made our team much better shooters, and with better shooters, our offense could/would have clicked more without the unique pass-first skills of Yuri.   

And assuming the drop off, how much better would our back up PG's be if they actually had a chance to play the same?  Wasn't Goodwin our PG to start the season?  And did we not win alot of games with him early on?   And was not Jacobs supposed to both a backup PG and an athletic guard who can shoot from the perimeter?   And did not Jacobs have to change course and try to be our perimeter shooter without Jimerson and Thatch?  Goodwin and Jacobs both were also called on for their defense which we were missing without Thatch.

In short, I am not worried about a backup PG as much as I am a healthy team.

1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

Diarra showed about as much athleticism as 05 this season. I’m sure he may have some once he regains some flexibility in his legs, but he’s a long term project. If that knee doesn’t get better (like Tiger’s spinal fusion type better) then I think he’ll have to be recruited over

HAHA

05 got any eligibility left?

1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

He played 10 minutes the entire season. How could you possibly know that at this point?

36 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

He played 10 minutes the entire season. How could you possibly know that at this point?

He played a full game at the blue/white game or whatever they call it. But you’re right, that was eight months ago at this point. I hope he gets better, but we’ll see. We certainly don’t have enough to have a positive outlook

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

Not so sure about the lack of a back up 1.  

First of all, if Yuri plays 32 mpg, how important really is the other 8 minutes?  And assuming important, and assuming we had such a big drop off, how much could be explained simply as an adjustment to a different PG with different skills and abilities.   Did not even very good SLU PGs simply play different styles, tempo, passing schemes?  Yuri is certainly unique.

And assuming the drop off, how much was as a result of injuries/sickness to BOTH Jimerson and Thatch?  Without these guys, the rest of our guys had to play/assume different roles.   Even with Yuri, we were a bad shooting team.  Thatch and Jimerson both made our team much better shooters, and with better shooters, our offense could/would have clicked more without the unique pass-first skills of Yuri.   

And assuming the drop off, how much better would our back up PG's be if they actually had a chance to play the same?  Wasn't Goodwin our PG to start the season?  And did we not win alot of games with him early on?   And was not Jacobs supposed to both a backup PG and an athletic guard who can shoot from the perimeter?   And did not Jacobs have to change course and try to be our perimeter shooter without Jimerson and Thatch?  Goodwin and Jacobs both were also called on for their defense which we were missing without Thatch.

In short, I am not worried about a backup PG as much as I am a healthy team.

I agree. For say 10 minutes, Jacobs or Goodwin would be fine at the point with GJ and JP in the same lineup.

7 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

He played a full game at the blue/white game or whatever they call it. But you’re right, that was eight months ago at this point. I hope he gets better, but we’ll see. We certainly don’t have enough to have a positive outlook

He came in with an injury. Therefore, he was behind everybody else in more ways than one. Who even knows how healthy he was in that blue/white game? We don’t have enough to gave a positive outlook...but the blue/white scrimmage of a kid’s freshman year is enough to have a negative outlook? You’re being serious?

5 minutes ago, mdscott24 said:

I agree. For say 10 minutes, Jacobs or Goodwin would be fine at the point with GJ and JP in the same lineup.

Yes.   I agree.  Many guys will do better playing their normal/preferred role. And again, Hargrove will develop into the good-shooting, athletic wing, who can use his unreal athletic ability on the defensive end, if he doesn't have to play/practice as our back up center.  Instead, he can focus on being a wing.   Same with our other guys -- play and practice their normal positions/roles and don't spend your time being something you are not. 

2 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Yes.   I agree.  Many guys will do better playing their normal/preferred role. And again, Hargrove will develop into the good-shooting, athletic wing, who can use his unreal athletic ability on the defensive end, if he doesn't have to play/practice as our back up center.  Instead, he can focus on being a wing.   Same with our other guys -- play and practice their normal positions/roles and don't spend your time being something you are not. 

Yep, next season could be real special, even if no one else signs.

8 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

He came in with an injury. Therefore, he was behind everybody else in more ways than one. Who even knows how healthy he was in that blue/white game? We don’t have enough to gave a positive outlook...but the blue/white scrimmage of a kid’s freshman year is enough to have a negative outlook? You’re being serious?

I’m saying there isn’t enough to form an optimistic opinion for myself. That’s it

49 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Coach speaks well of his effort and his ceiling.

Abou Ousmane, had a Billiken offer, committed to Rhode island, decommited within a week, has now committed to North Texas.  Kidis from Brooklyn, played prep ball in PA.  Guess he wanted to travel some.  And they were CUSA champs this year.  Did not know Denton, Texas, home of North Texas, was suburban Dallas.  

Good grief, why oh why is SLU stuck with a beat writer who ignores recruiting updates?

That rag ran an article from Dave Matter the other day about some kid from Bowling Green who decided AGAINST Mizzou, then Matter proceeds to list others receiving offers....

Even a lower D1 team, SIUE, receives way better coverage on recruiting progress than SLU...we learn of five players with offers:

https://www.theintelligencer.com/sports/article/MEN-8217-S-BASKETBALL-Barone-making-the-calls-15195417.php

Thank God for Frank Cusamano, Earl Austin and Pistol.

Compton likes this