Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

9 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

That’s where I’m at too. Ford is the one who has to put together the roster and is judged for its successes/ failures, so I generally defer to the coach during the recruiting process. 
This guy could be a decent backup, or maybe he has improved a lot recently to suggest he is better than the D-2 player he was a year ago. I’ll admit, I didn’t have high expectations for Perkins before this season, and he turned to be an absolute stud.

I'm also in the camp that doesn't have an optimistic view of Diarra's future - if not this year than maybe next. If this is a move to sort of upgrade that back-up big spot, then I could see where it makes sense.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe landing a proven D-1 caliber big when you already have an all-conference starter and another quality big is harder than we thought.  Mahorcic is getting solid mid-major offers so other schools see the potential.  And he put in some serious work to get to 230 after being a stringbean in high school.  Not an exciting offer but potentially a good fit.

<

Maybe landing a proven D-1 caliber big when you already have an all-conference starter and another quality big is harder than we thought. >

It's been hard enough the whole modern era :) we're not used to worrying about having more than one.

19 minutes ago, ACE said:

I'm also in the camp that doesn't have an optimistic view of Diarra's future - if not this year than maybe next. If this is a move to sort of upgrade that back-up big spot, then I could see where it makes sense.

I guess I'm sort of talking myself into this... but one potential positive here is that he would be a junior. If I'm figuring correctly, with the departure of Hankton, we only have one JR. next year with Jacobs, correct?  Not a bad idea to get another player in that class.

42 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

That’s where I’m at too. Ford is the one who has to put together the roster and is judged for its successes/ failures, so I generally defer to the coach during the recruiting process. 
This guy could be a decent backup, or maybe he has improved a lot recently to suggest he is better than the D-2 player he was a year ago. I’ll admit, I didn’t have high expectations for Perkins before this season, and he turned to be an absolute stud.

Perkins was a different case though, as he produced big time numbers in JUCO.

2 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

True. With that noted, I was expecting him to acclimate himself to the D1 game this past season, and if we got major contributions from him, it would be next year. Turns out he took about 10 games to acclimate himself to D1, and then we got the major contributions this year.

Watching the Mahorcic video, he isn’t a stiff. He seems fairly mobile and fluid in his movements around the court, and sometimes that’s all you can take away from these highlight videos.

54 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

JUCO has been 50/50 over the years for us but the fact that he was top 5 in scoring in all junior college made me think he'd be good.

7 hours ago, Franchise_08 said:

Is that East Tennessee State?

Yep - Georgia, Georgetown, DePaul, Rhode Island, ETSU. I had read earlier this week that the first four were in the mix but ETSU is a surprise.

More on Mahorcic here. Summary:

-He's had a long-standing relationship with USC. His cousin, Nick Rakocevic, played there for four years and loved it. He wanted to go there out of HS but couldn't (the article says he didn't qualify but he went to Lewis, a lower division but not a JUCO school, for a year before JUCO. The article is definitely wrong on those details.

-St. Bonaventure is starting to call. Might offer.

-SLU, USC, Tulsa, Pepperdine, Illinois State, Charlotte, and UMKC have offered.

-St. Bonaventure, Florida State, Virginia Tech, TCU, West Virginia, Arkansas, Mizzou, and Arizona State are in the mix.

-He’s best used as a stretch forward or center, who can bang inside and hit 15-foot shots. He’s willing to play whatever role is required of him to help his team win but he prefers to play, “something like a power forward or stretch five,” he said. “Someone who can play the post but someone that can come up and do some stuff on the elbow.”

-He's staying open in his recruitment for now. Doing his research and trying to get a feel for schools. He wants to start or play 25 MPG. Wants to be a leader and play for a team that has "killers who want to win". Relationships with players and coaches also important.

CBFan likes this

48 minutes ago, Pistol said:

“something like a power forward or stretch five,

?

49 minutes ago, Pistol said:

He wants to start or play 25 MPG.

unless he really improves his shooting from 15 feet and out, he wont start here.  The 25 minutes is possible with Bell playing the way he is. 

50 minutes ago, Pistol said:

More on Mahorcic here. Summary:

-He's had a long-standing relationship with USC. His cousin, Nick Rakocevic, played there for four years and loved it. He wanted to go there out of HS but couldn't (the article says he didn't qualify but he went to Lewis, a lower division but not a JUCO school, for a year before JUCO. The article is definitely wrong on those details.

-St. Bonaventure is starting to call. Might offer.

-SLU, USC, Tulsa, Pepperdine, Illinois State, Charlotte, and UMKC have offered.

-St. Bonaventure, Florida State, Virginia Tech, TCU, West Virginia, Arkansas, Mizzou, and Arizona State are in the mix.

-He’s best used as a stretch forward or center, who can bang inside and hit 15-foot shots. He’s willing to play whatever role is required of him to help his team win but he prefers to play, “something like a power forward or stretch five,” he said. “Someone who can play the post but someone that can come up and do some stuff on the elbow.”

-He's staying open in his recruitment for now. Doing his research and trying to get a feel for schools. He wants to start or play 25 MPG. Wants to be a leader and play for a team that has "killers who want to win". Relationships with players and coaches also important.

Definitely someone you want to sign, just not sure about the minutes, barring injury. If Has gets 30, and Bell 20, that doesn't mean many are left, because I see Yuri, JG, GJ, and JP on the floor together a lot.

20 hours ago, almaman said:

JUCO has been 50/50 over the years for us but the fact that he was top 5 in scoring in all junior college made me think he'd be good.

Agreed. My doubting of Perkins occurred over the first 10 games, when he was objectively bad. His turnaround was nothing short of amazing. All credit goes to him for working through his struggles and emerging as a star.

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I guess if he does come here, Mahorcic would want jersey #3.  Does that mean Perkins would transfer @Glorydays2013?

I understand the joke you are trying to make, but I'm pretty sure you've got the details wrong.  #3 in the picture in his tweet is former SLU player Ash Yacoubou not Dusan Mahorcic.  Other pictures in Dusan's twitter feed that are actually him make it seem like his number is #21.  Diarra is #21, so I actually think the joke works better with the correct details.

slufanskip likes this