Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

54 minutes ago, Slowry said:

I don’t know anything about Russel or how good he is or can be.  But I would prefer a taller guard.    Two guards around 6ft doesn’t excite me when you’re trying to make a tournament run in the future.  It might be fine if the A-10 but it seems smaller guards struggle more come tournament time against top competition.  You guys that follow these players know better than I do.  And if Ford wants him I trust his judgment.  

Yes. Weaver struggled too bc of his height. And we have taller shooters in Jimerson, Perkins, Hatgrove,, Lorentsson along w Jacobs and Goodwin. Not sure about Strickland and his 3 point shooting but he is 6’6”. Anyone have his stats? 

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Slowry said:

I don’t know anything about Russel or how good he is or can be.  But I would prefer a taller guard.    Two guards around 6ft doesn’t excite me when you’re trying to make a tournament run in the future.  It might be fine if the A-10 but it seems smaller guards struggle more come tournament time against top competition.  You guys that follow these players know better than I do.  And if Ford wants him I trust his judgment.  

If I recall correctly, last year's Final 4 featured 2 PGs who were under 6'. UVA's and Texas Tech PGs I believe were the ones on the small side. 

We had three players, and really four, who were down this season. Thatch, Jimerson, Hankton, and Diarra. Hankton fought through injuries again, and Diarra never could get healed and get his court bearings enough to garner minutes.

Our two glaring needs are an active athletic power big, and a scoring PG with a handle to back up Collins. If Ford can land a preferred target,  I would take  the first of either option that wants to commit, and continue to recruit the other unfilled  need if a second schollie opens.

Coach314 and Zink like this

Agree with the need for an athletic power big. Not so sure about another pg.  

French missed a few games as a Frosh w bad hip?  He got banged up again this year and the one prior.  Wasn’t he held outnof the Maryville game bc of his injury? When he was off This year, we were bad. We lost bad to UMass and our post season hopes nearly disappeared that night.  Bell did well this year, improved immensely and became a solid part time player.  Is he ready for 35 mpg? And Diarra is a complete unknown. 

Curious. Why will no one address my question:  what happens if French breaks a bone in his foot like Jimerson did?  Or just miss 5 games?  

We are that solid and deep with Hargrove and Perkins manning the inside for 40 mpg?  Bell is ready for 35 mpg?  

And I agree with 3 Star. Easier to get a good big with playing time.  But isn’t that time now for transfers who must sit out a year?  Such a transfer could practice with the team all year and then be ready the following year when French, Goodwin and Perkins are each gone?

2 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

French missed a few games as a Frosh w bad hip?  He got banged up again this year and the one prior.  Wasn’t he held outnof the Maryville game bc of his injury? When he was off This year, we were bad. We lost bad to UMass and our post season hopes nearly disappeared that night.  Bell did well this year, improved immensely and became a solid part time player.  Is he ready for 35 mpg? And Diarra is a complete unknown. 

Curious. Why will no one address my question:  what happens if French breaks a bone in his foot like Jimerson did?  Or just miss 5 games?  

We are that solid and deep with Hargrove and Perkins manning the inside for 40 mpg?  Bell is ready for 35 mpg?  

And I agree with 3 Star. Easier to get a good big with playing time.  But isn’t that time now for transfers who must sit out a year?  Such a transfer could practice with the team all year and then be ready the following year when French, Goodwin and Perkins are each gone?

I mean of course that would suck?

29 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

We would have to lower expectations dramatically if French got hurt.  Just like every mid-major team that lost its top big man.  Having three guys who are of French/Bell quality is virtually unheard of at the mid-major level.

Hard pass on Russell. He's a low D-1 prospect. If you're dying for a back-up PG, just find a 5th-year guy, don't sink a four-year commitment into a guy that should get recruited over in about two weeks.

Guys under 6' can obviously succeed in college basketball, but the surest sign is that they dominate HS ball. I didn't see that on tape. I saw a guy flexing because he got an and-1 against a totally overmatched team. 

To my eye, the offense stalled when Collins was out.  I'd want somebody to keep the offense humming if Yuri needs a break or is in foul trouble.

thetorch likes this

37 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

If we lose French, given the players we have right now, we would get every minute that Bell can play.  I think he would surprise us and I think  we would be a good team in most matchups, with Bell and a 4 guard lineup. 

The big hit comes when Bell sits down. Then we are looking at an unknown in Madani, or one of our wings at the post. We would probably see Madani, ready or not.  If we play one of our wings at the post, we could probably still score, but we would not be able to stop anyone with a decent inside game.

I'm in the camp that says our next recruit would ideally be a rebounding forward.  All of that said, Ford knows what he has in Madani. If he is confident in that, he can go with a transfer that sits a year. If not he needs to go after a freshman or grad trasfer.

On the other hand, it's one thing to say our greatest need is a rebounding forward, it's another thing to sign one. Ford went with Bell and Madani last year because he couldn't find a good grad transfer. So I think that players available to us will also play a role. 

Ford took two late recruiting flyers on Bell and Diarra. He took a one year rental on Weaver. Weaver paid off in spades, and Bell turned out to be a solid payoff for a flyer.

Clock Tower, I would love to procure two bigs, but the quality is not the same at the late signings. If we could get a 4star and a 3star, by all means double up. Four high risk big flyers in two years? That may fly with an MVC team, but Ford and co. Are such a good recruiting staff, that I would be willing to gamble on a single big.

I would be happy with a grad transfer at either or both the PG and PF slots, or running as the the chips fall with the slots filled by the staff. They have proven to be great at this.

13 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Linguard is from Texas, plays at a Texas JUCO, and lists five Texas schools on his offers list.  I'm projecting a stay in Texas.

Colorado and K-State are in his top four. Texas A&M and Texas Tech are the other two. Other Texas schools are in the mix. So he *might* not stay in Texas but he seems to favor schools in that general region.

He had been planning visits to Colorado, K-State, and Texas A&M and those have obviously been delayed indefinitely. I'm not sure how the timing of this recruiting year will impact his list.

15 hours ago, Crewsorlose said:

Hard pass on Russell. He's a low D-1 prospect. If you're dying for a back-up PG, just find a 5th-year guy, don't sink a four-year commitment into a guy that should get recruited over in about two weeks.

Guys under 6' can obviously succeed in college basketball, but the surest sign is that they dominate HS ball. I didn't see that on tape. I saw a guy flexing because he got an and-1 against a totally overmatched team. 

To my eye, the offense stalled when Collins was out.  I'd want somebody to keep the offense humming if Yuri needs a break or is in foul trouble.

Tay Weaver didn't dominate in HS ball either.  He averaged 17 ppg on 44% shooting from the field.  In fact, he didn't even develop into a high percentage three-point shooter until his sophomore year of college.  Russell already shoots like a sophomore Tay Weaver.  I would take that caliber of shooter on my team every year.  If that guy never breaks into your rotation, it's because your team is so loaded that you don't need him.  Either way, you win.

16 hours ago, Crewsorlose said:

Hard to dominate when your teammates are going to Georgetown and Kentucky

also, that game was in the elite 8. It’s not like he was getting that pumped against Soldan in December.

people on this board tried to make the case that Jordan Barnes was a low D1 prospect and we certainly would take him now. I don’t need to remind people about what people thought about Bell. 

hmart23, CBFan and Zink like this

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Colorado and K-State are in his top four. Texas A&M and Texas Tech are the other two. Other Texas schools are in the mix. So he *might* not stay in Texas but he seems to favor schools in that general region.

He had been planning visits to Colorado, K-State, and Texas A&M and those have obviously been delayed indefinitely. I'm not sure how the timing of this recruiting year will impact his list.

https://www.si.com/college/colorado/basketball/juco-center-nearing-decision

17 hours ago, Crewsorlose said:

Vashon is one of the most balanced teams I've ever seen in high school basketball. It 's hard to dominate in a situation like that. To be clear, there were games he dominated. 20 point quarter this year. Multiple games being the leading scorer in the game. Definitely an underrated passer too. As someone who's seen him play ALOT, I think he has it. But that's just my opinion. I also guess what you want a 5'10 guard to do on tape besides drop 20 from behind the arc on a regular basis? Did you want him to be dunking on people left and right?

gobillsgo likes this

21 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

Vashon is one of the most balanced teams I've ever seen in high school basketball. It 's hard to dominate in a situation like that. To be clear, there were games he dominated. 20 point quarter this year. Multiple games being the leading scorer in the game. Definitely an underrated passer too. As someone who's seen him play ALOT, I think he has it. But that's just my opinion. I also guess what you want a 5'10 guard to do on tape besides drop 20 from behind the arc on a regular basis? Did you want him to be dunking on people left and right?

so this means all the power 5 schools will be after him now as well since he has decommitted and is available.  right?  

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

so this means all the power 5 schools will be after him now as well since he has decommitted and is available.  right?  

Where did I say that... All I said was I think he has it. If Ford doesn't then I won't be angry or upset. I just think the kid has the ability to play at a high level. Saw him compete and thrive against guys going to much better programs. Like I said, it's just my opinion. 

slufanskip likes this

39 minutes ago, BuiltFordBills said:

With working from home I'm just constantly checking in on our Verbal Commits page to see if we're sending out any new offers.  I could really use some news this week to fill up my time with watching new recruits highlight videos and chugging the blue koolaid.

quit the juice this off season. We'll all weigh 300+ if the next season develops the way we all think it could.