Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, JettFlight5 said:

We mentioned this guy at some point.

52DE5D83-508D-4E51-B6D5-52FC86014261.png

He was playing with that big guard SLU recently offered who committed to Cleveland State.  I was hoping to land both if SLU had a couple of transfers.

Thank you for sharing the information.

https://stats.stlhighschoolsports.com/sports/basketballboys/stats/teamstatoverall.php?t=277&s=774
For his senior year, Russell had a stat line of 15.7 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 4.5 apg, 1 steal/game, and 1 topg.

He shot 33.9% from 2pt, 56.8% from 3pt, and 81.7% ft.

40/118, 63/111, 76/93.

I would think he would start out directly at Weaver’s production level, with a higher ceiling. His 3pt % will fall due to college guards being able to front him, and in HS he is passing to 3 different high level D1 players, but the idea of having two 40%+ 3pt shooters on the floor at the same time with Collins totally unzips interior defenses, and is totally intoxicating. Hello French!

11 hours ago, Littlebill said:

Love that brand of basketball. Russell seems to have that Goodwin type of ultra intensity. Would love to have him

Love everything about Russell. I think he could compete from day one because of his attitude. 

Also the sequence from Kern at 7:07 is exactly why I want him. He gets off the floor for the block so fast. Then runs the full length of the floor for a dunk.

17 hours ago, Sheltiedave said:

https://stats.stlhighschoolsports.com/sports/basketballboys/stats/teamstatoverall.php?t=277&s=774
For his senior year, Russell had a stat line of 15.7 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 4.5 apg, 1 steal/game, and 1 topg.

He shot 33.9% from 2pt, 56.8% from 3pt, and 81.7% ft.

If you take these stats as being basically on target, the question mark I have is the 2FG%.  33.9% from inside the arc (40 of 118) and 56.8% from outside the arc (63 of 111) doesn't add up very well.  I would take this to mean that Russell has trouble finishing at the rim...(many blocked shots?)  I assume he is solid anywhere 15 ft out, but what happens closer in? 

I think he realized he had three D1 bigs(for HS) who could clean up any missed shots, so a fair portion of his missed became de facto assists. No His missed shots from 2pt land were being scarfed by A 6’4”, 6’5”, and 6’5” front court. In college the silly drives often are blocked shots or turnovers. Russell is less attacking on the dribble, but in part that was due to him not having to make every play every possession like Collins did at St. Mary’s. He had the luxury of not having to always create.

Iron’s teams have so much talent, and he coaches them at a higher level passing game than his dad did. At times this season they reminded me of Illinois during the Brown/Head/Williams era.

48 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

I think he realized he had three D1 bigs(for HS) who could clean up any missed shots, so a fair portion of his missed became de facto assists. No His missed shots from 2pt land were being scarfed by A 6’4”, 6’5”, and 6’5” front court.

No coach at any level lets players take shots to miss them and get the rebounds.  

I don't have my ear to the streets like you but I did go to 6 Vashon games this season.  I keep stats on the best players.  I the 6 games I watched Russell shot 14-44 from 3.  He took a lot more 3s than 2s when I watched him.  I have a feeling they fudged some shot attempt numbers.  It certainly looks like they did with other players as well.  He does shoot free throws well.  

Crewsorlose likes this

I don’t know anything about Russel or how good he is or can be.  But I would prefer a taller guard.    Two guards around 6ft doesn’t excite me when you’re trying to make a tournament run in the future.  It might be fine if the A-10 but it seems smaller guards struggle more come tournament time against top competition.  You guys that follow these players know better than I do.  And if Ford wants him I trust his judgment.