Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I think it's a good thing if Has tests the NBA waters. As someone said, let the pros tell him what he needs to work on to get to the next level. No matter what anyone says I can't believe French has ever worked on a 10-15 ft jumper with any kind of regularity. Being told by an NBA scout he needs this to have a shot might be the kick in the butt he needs to get working on it. Then again, he could be a Rodman type in the NBA,  but I think the pro game has passed that type of player by. They want their bigs to be shooters as well. 

I hope Perkins doesn't test the waters. He just might get very high marks and decide to sign up. Although, I think they'd tell him he's got to bulk up a little more. 

If JGood tests they're going to tell him you need to demonstrate a good 3 point shot. Yes, you're a Marcus Smart type, but Smart's a pretty good shooter. You've got some work to do. 

As for Russell, aren't we putting the cart before the horse? We don't have any open scholies that I'm aware of. I know everyone thinks Hankton will check out, either by choice or strong recommendation. If he does go, then I've got no problem with offering Russell and a French type big, if there is one out there. If Houston had committed the question would have been answered. Not sure if that ship has sailed because of the Prep route he took. Is this Kern kid a PF type? 

I agree about Perkins - right now he is the best NBA possible talent we have but he needs to play through his senior year.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Bess not only was an elite defensive player but also a decent shooter and he did not make at least yet.  Defense today won't be enough.

has is stronger and a better rebounder than bess, not saying he is a lock, just saying it is not beyond the realm of possibility. josh harrelson spent some time on an nba bench, could has?....

1 minute ago, dennis_w said:

has is stronger and a better rebounder than bess, not saying he is a lock, just saying it is not beyond the realm of possibility. josh harrelson spent some time on an nba bench, could has?....

They are two different players.  My point simply was that defensive regardless of the position will not be enough to make it to the NBA.  For a guard, Bess was a very strong rebounder and he was strong also.

4 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

They are two different players.  My point simply was that defensive regardless of the position will not be enough to make it to the NBA.  For a guard, Bess was a very strong rebounder and he was strong also.

you could be right, just my opinion, french has some elite athletic abilities

11 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

you could be right, just my opinion, french has some elite athletic abilities

Elite for the A10.  Elite for us at SLU.  But Has is probably closer to 6'6" than he is 6'8" - and even then the NBA is full of even taller, bigger, stronger guys.   Has play more of a true center position (range of 5') and creates mis-matches b/c of his quickness, strength, jumping ability and size (often shorter).  Can Has play a wing position in the NBA? No.  Heck, he cannot even in play that in college.  Can Has play more of a power forward?   yes, though, he lacks the ability to step out and hit the 10' to 15' shot, cannot shoot FT's and cannot shoot the three.  6'7" bully ball won't work in the NBA.   And if so, then foul him and watch him struggle.   Has is clearly undersized by NBA standards and undersized guys must make up for it elsewhere -- perimeter shooting, FT shooting, defense, versatility (I am thinking more of a stretch 4).  Sorry, glad is on our team but he will need to leave the US to play professional ball.

2 hours ago, Sheltiedave said:

Clock, I totally agree with you. I would not be surprised that we have two openings, either at the strange end of the semester, or before the unknown start of fall semester.

Even if we don’t, Ford still has to aggressively recruit to cover if we do have openings. He also has to do a first committed, first accepted on these “provisional” commitments, IMO, if they meet either projected need.

Ford and company do the ratchet down method of recruiting continuously, so this isn’t a big change from their normal recruiting style. The only “absolute” gets that I project during Fords tenure are French and Goodwin...and he got them!

Perkins became an APB recruit, Collins and Thatch probably were both A rated recruits in their draft book as well.

I too think we have 2 openings right now - things just have not gone public yet.

2 hours ago, Sheltiedave said:

Clock, I totally agree with you. I would not be surprised that we have two openings, either at the strange end of the semester, or before the unknown start of fall semester.

Even if we don’t, Ford still has to aggressively recruit to cover if we do have openings. He also has to do a first committed, first accepted on these “provisional” commitments, IMO, if they meet either projected need.

Ford and company do the ratchet down method of recruiting continuously, so this isn’t a big change from their normal recruiting style. The only “absolute” gets that I project during Fords tenure are French and Goodwin...and he got them!

Perkins became an APB recruit, Collins and Thatch probably were both A rated recruits in their draft book as well.

I too think we have 2 openings right now - things just have not gone public yet.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

we've been told multiple times by different people here hardly anyone else recruited javon.   i think the next best program was louisiana monroe?   

I think he committed to Louisiana-Monroe, which caused schools to back off, then when he decommitted, SLU swooped in and got him quickly. I don’t know if SLU was waiting for him to decommitt from ULM or not.

5 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Elite for the A10.  Elite for us at SLU.  But Has is probably closer to 6'6" than he is 6'8" - and even then the NBA is full of even taller, bigger, stronger guys.   Has play more of a true center position (range of 5') and creates mis-matches b/c of his quickness, strength, jumping ability and size (often shorter).  Can Has play a wing position in the NBA? No.  Heck, he cannot even in play that in college.  Can Has play more of a power forward?   yes, though, he lacks the ability to step out and hit the 10' to 15' shot, cannot shoot FT's and cannot shoot the three.  6'7" bully ball won't work in the NBA.   And if so, then foul him and watch him struggle.   Has is clearly undersized by NBA standards and undersized guys must make up for it elsewhere -- perimeter shooting, FT shooting, defense, versatility (I am thinking more of a stretch 4).  Sorry, glad is on our team but he will need to leave the US to play professional ball.

elite at any collegiate level, has holes in his game and i am certainly not guaranteeing a spot on a nba roster. i believe it could happen imho, glad he a billiken

9 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I think he committed to Louisiana-Monroe, which caused schools to back off, then when he decommitted, SLU swooped in and got him quickly. I don’t know if SLU was waiting for him to decommitt from ULM or not.

You are correct. He committed to ULM.  Made a visit.  But Javonte wasn't going to go that far from home lol. 

17 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Solid points.  But with the amount of small ball being played these days French could find himself on a roster.  All it takes is one team to like him and give him a chance.  He's similar to Montrez Harrell when he 1st entered the league as well as Kenneth Faried.  Imagine French off the bench for the Rockets or Warriors with all that spacing on the court.  He would be a solid pickup for the Suns as well.  They need that kind of energy off the bench.  Having said that...I think coming back another year boosts his stock for playing professionally.

BIG BILL FAN and Bills71 like this

4 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Solid points.  But with the amount of small ball being played these days French could find himself on a roster.  All it takes is one team to like him and give him a chance.  He's similar to Montrez Harrell when he 1st entered the league as well as Kenneth Faried.  Imagine French off the bench for the Rockets or Warriors with all that spacing on the court.  He would be a solid pickup for the Suns as well.  They need that kind of energy off the bench.  Having said that...I think coming back another year boosts his stock for playing professionally.

French has zero chance of making an NBA this Spring.   If he has a good summer and works really hard on his shooting, then he has decent chance next year.

On 3/24/2020 at 3:17 PM, Sheltiedave said:

An APB recruit is someone you wanted, but he commits elsewhere. When he decommits, you do an all points bulletin full court press on him.

It worked with Perkins.

Where was Perkins committed to before SLU? and was it before his time at SWIC? 

On 3/24/2020 at 6:35 PM, Sheltiedave said:

Roy, once Perkins decommitted, Ford never gave him a chance to mull about going anywhere else, nor did he leave the door open for other suitors to appear.

He stepped in, recruited him, and got him signed ASAP. It paid off.

Remind me were he decommitted from? I'm drawing a blank

2 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

Remind me were he decommitted from? I'm drawing a blank

sheltie says louisiana - monroe.   i never heard he actually committed to them but was recruited by them.  but sheltie isnt known as the cliff clavin of billikens.com for nothing.  so i'd go with the louisiana - monroe.

BIG BILL FAN likes this

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

sheltie says louisiana - monroe.   i never heard he actually committed to them but was recruited by them.  but sheltie isnt known as the cliff clavin of billikens.com for nothing.  so i'd go with the louisiana - monroe.

Found it!

Thanks guys.