Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

24 minutes ago, NH said:

Kwamain Mitchell was a 5 year Billiken, sort of

Can't believe I remembered Bryce Husak being a 5 year and not Kwamain.

Even though he wasn't technically part of the team for a semester, I'd still consider Kwam a 5 yr with 2010-11 being his red shirt season.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

Well, I was mainly just talking about how Fred had a rare condition so its dumb to compare it to typical injuries for players over the last 15 years.  Not saying you were.  

How many of those transfer for reasons such as; coaching change, team under-performing.  neither of those two I see happening. 

Here is where I stand:

Part 1) Why would you think a player would transfer without any particular reason? Why would you think either Jimerson or thatch would/could leave? Both are extremely important. Thatch is a lock down defender from the area.  Jimerson is the best shooter on the team. Unless you're a really small school, which we are not, you dont just lose players randomly unless theres a coaching change. 

part 2) Both have excellent cases for red-shirts

Ok, my last post on this.  I'm not looking to convert anyone else's opinion.  Your Part 2 is not relative to my comments.  Yes, we have been told they both have excellent cases for redshirts.  If they don't get a waiver, then they won't be five year students.

Their status or value to the team can go both ways.  Assume Jimerson has a break out year.  Wouldn't you think others, like UVA, would be in his ear, saying come home-you are the one piece we need for a national championship.  This will occur more often in the upcoming free transfer era and the likely pay to play tacked onto it down the road. 

Many teams have great comradery, as we saw this season with Team Blue.  When French, Goodwin and Pekins graduate, how will that change?  No one knows.  Will the remaining athletes bond stronger, or will some decide to leave on they might see as a high note.  I am aware of only a handful of players, this season, who spent five years at the same university.  With the popularity of Graduate Transfers, this is another option that wasn't popular until the past five or so seasons.  Players who spend four years at one school sometimes simply like a change of scenery for their final season.

Don't get carried away with this.  I'll repeat my initial point in that the odds are against both staying five years.  I think we have found Mitchell, Husak and Johnson as three who have stayed five years, playing our, over the past 18 years.  For the purpose of my statements, the names of our two players aren't important. I'm looking at the statistics of this nationwide, and saying the odds are that they both won't stay.  I hope I am wrong.

8 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Assume Jimerson has a break out year.  Wouldn't you think others, like UVA, would be in his ear, saying come home-you are the one piece we need for a national championship. 

Absolutely not.

So every player we have that’s good, you fear that they’re gonna return home to their bigger state school?

SLU isn’t NJIT. 

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Absolutely not.

So every player we have that’s good, you fear that they’re gonna return home to their bigger state school?

SLU isn’t NJIT. 

Imagine a local roster at SLU transferring to the well-oiled machine of a state school that is Mizzou. (Heavy blue text)

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Ok, my last post on this.  I'm not looking to convert anyone else's opinion.  Your Part 2 is not relative to my comments.  Yes, we have been told they both have excellent cases for redshirts.  If they don't get a waiver, then they won't be five year students.

Their status or value to the team can go both ways.  Assume Jimerson has a break out year.  Wouldn't you think others, like UVA, would be in his ear, saying come home-you are the one piece we need for a national championship.  This will occur more often in the upcoming free transfer era and the likely pay to play tacked onto it down the road. 

Many teams have great comradery, as we saw this season with Team Blue.  When French, Goodwin and Pekins graduate, how will that change?  No one knows.  Will the remaining athletes bond stronger, or will some decide to leave on they might see as a high note.  I am aware of only a handful of players, this season, who spent five years at the same university.  With the popularity of Graduate Transfers, this is another option that wasn't popular until the past five or so seasons.  Players who spend four years at one school sometimes simply like a change of scenery for their final season.

Don't get carried away with this.  I'll repeat my initial point in that the odds are against both staying five years.  I think we have found Mitchell, Husak and Johnson as three who have stayed five years, playing our, over the past 18 years.  For the purpose of my statements, the names of our two players aren't important. I'm looking at the statistics of this nationwide, and saying the odds are that they both won't stay.  I hope I am wrong.

The main reason you rarely see any SLU players stay for 5 years it's because you rarely see any SLU four year players redshirt, period.

Edited by 3star_recruit

27 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

Donte Houston Jr is committing tomorrow...do we know where we stand with him?

We will know in 24 hours and I hope it’s SLU.

Of the 5 schools in the running it seems like SLU has the more going for it than the others but I am biased.

If Houston wants to go to a tournament team and learn how to play power forward from French, get some playing time with French and Bell in foul trouble plus be the man the following season then sign with SLU.

56 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

Seems like an odd time to commit...I cannot find any news on his decision.

A lot has happened since he announced he would commit on 3/20. He very well might postpone.

Just now, RiseAndGrind said:

Seyree Lewis committed to K-State. Another guy that SLU looked at for a bit that ends up in Manhattan

Reason #3 why I want another shot at them asap. 

57 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Reason #3 why I want another shot at them asap. 

I know Weber's recent run got him off of the hot seat and an extension, but I wonder if he is right back on it after their last place finish in the Big 12 (11-21 record on the season, 3-13 in conference).

2 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I know Weber's recent run got him off of the hot seat and an extension, but I wonder if he is right back on it after their last place finish in the Big 12 (11-21 record on the season, 3-13 in conference).

I have a good friend who is a big K-State guy, and I remember talking with him before the season and he seemed to understand that this was gonna be a sort of “tweener” year for K-State, with their 2 best players graduating. That’s not to say, necessarily, that all of their fans are as understanding as he is, or that he’s not back on the hot seat (especially if the don’t improve next year), but I think most fans realized ‘19-‘20 was gonna be a rebuilding/reloading year. But that’s just my impression in talking with my friend, so an educated guess.

6 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I have a good friend who is a big K-State guy, and I remember talking with him before the season and he seemed to understand that this was gonna be a sort of “tweener” year for K-State, with their 2 best players graduating. That’s not to say, necessarily, that all of their fans are as understanding as he is, or that he’s not back on the hot seat (especially if the don’t improve next year), but I think most fans realized ‘19-‘20 was gonna be a rebuilding/reloading year. But that’s just my impression in talking with my friend, so an educated guess.

Thanks, I have no links to Kansas State, so I appreciate at least one fans thoughts on the season. I see that they have a solid recruiting class lined up and return some decent production, so a rebuild certainly looks to be underway on paper.

@GBL_Bills I was not implying that he could be fired this spring or that should be considered, but was curious if he enters this coming season on the hot seat a bit.

Reinert310 likes this

17 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Anyone heard of Carlton Linguard? VerbalCommits has him listed with a SLU offer but I missed it.

Long, lanky JUCO center. Freshman qualifier, so he's immediately eligible as a sophomore next year.

I noticed the offer a week ago but when I saw he already planned to visit Big 12 schools, I didn't give it a second thought.

Carlton Linguard - C, 6-11, 200 - Temple College (San Antonio, TX)
Offers: Saint Louis, Kansas State, TCU, Texas A&M, USC, Colorado, Tulsa, New Mexico, Texas-San Antonio, Texas-Arlington, Texas State, Northern Colorado.

Interest: St. John's, Virginia Tech, Nebraska, Kansas, Baylor, Texas Tech, Missouri, Oregon, Arizona State, Central Florida.

Latest News: Linguard said he would visit K-State, Texas A&M, and Colorado, but visits are on hold for now. (3/20/20)

Scouting Report: Linguard is a long, lean post player with a wide range of skills. He's physical despite his frame, he maintains post position, has soft touch, he can step out to shoot from mid-range or occasionally the perimeter, and he's mobile. He's an elite shot blocker and excellent rebounder, especially on the offensive glass. He gets into foul trouble, though. He averages 13.3 PPG, 9.5 RPG, and 3.6 BPG (third in NJCAA D-I) with a slashline of .514/.265/.701.

-Seems like KSU, A&M, and Colorado are his top three, with Texas Tech rounding out a top four. With his visits already being delayed and only 1-2 OVs left to target, he looks like a long shot to me.