Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Me included in that group, I would much rather lose Hankton.

Here's hoping Jacobs stays. He is a valuable piece of this team for next year.  And from what I saw with his team interaction, he enjoys his teammates.  Stay Demarius .........

CBFan and SLU_Lax like this

We will know something in a couple days, Houston’s commitment is supposed to be the 20th so we will have an idea if anyone is going to leave.

I like all the young men on our team so if there are no defections then that is fine and we have a lot to be excited about next season.

My greedy feelings are commitments from Houston and Russell.

Reinert310 likes this

1 minute ago, CBFan said:

We will know something in a couple days, Houston’s commitment is supposed to be the 20th so we will have an idea if anyone is going to leave.

I like all the young men on our team so if there are no defections then that is fine and we have a lot to be excited about next season.

My greedy feelings are commitments from Houston and Russell.

My feelings 100%! I love this team as is. If we went into November with our current roster, I would be content. But right now, we have no games to watch, so I don’t think a little speculation/hope/greediness is going to hurt anybody. Houston and Russell would be a hell of a lot of fun. 

CBFan likes this

On average, every program in the country loses two players per year.  No coach can rest easy.  Can you imagine how it would be if there were still 15 available scholarships, instead of 13?

I wonder what percentage of athletes there are who play out their full 4-year eligibility for one school anymore.  Davell Roby is the most recent Billiken, and he was the only one in his class.  Before that Mike Crawford and Reggie Agbeko stuck it out.  There's a two-year gap between Roby and the double-double tandem of French and Goodwin.  Three guys in four years.

Reinert310 likes this

2 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

On average, every program in the country loses two players per year.  No coach can rest easy.  Can you imagine how it would be if there were still 15 available scholarships, instead of 13?

I wonder what percentage of athletes there are who play out their full 4-year eligibility for one school anymore.  Davell Roby is the most recent Billiken, and he was the only one in his class.  Before that Mike Crawford and Reggie Agbeko stuck it out.  There's a two-year gap between Roby and the double-double tandem of French and Goodwin.  Three guys in four years.

Word.

1 hour ago, Reinert310 said:

My feelings 100%! I love this team as is. If we went into November with our current roster, I would be content. But right now, we have no games to watch, so I don’t think a little speculation/hope/greediness is going to hurt anybody. Houston and Russell would be a hell of a lot of fun. 

Houston and Russell makes SLU a sweet 16 contender the team would be deep at every position.

With that said the team seems to get along quite well with each other based on what I see at the shoot around before every home game.

You are right there is nothing else to talk about right now because of March sadness, no NBA, NHL, baseball so why not dream.

4 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

That's an interesting take that I hadn't thought about.  I have posted several times that we have averaged 2.6 eligible player departures over the last decade.  I hadn't looked at it this other way.

Can you recall the last player that stayed five years at SLU, through a redshirt year?  There are very few nation wide this year that have stayed at the same school for five years. 

4 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Elliott Welmer is actually our most recent example.

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

No, because he didn't use up all four years of his eligibility; so I didn't count him.

He was here for four years and participated in senior night activities. You’re being intentionally obtuse by classifying him as anything but someone who stayed all four years.

2 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

No, because he didn't use up all four years of his eligibility; so I didn't count him.

That's pretty unfair to Elliott, a tough kid who tried very hard and stuck it out.  Another recent 4-year good guy/good student & citizen is John Manning. These kinds of kids are extremely valuable to a program, because they transmit the cultural capital and maintain a level of continuity.  This is extremely valuable in terms of practice and learning the system: take a kid like TJ Hargrove -- I give the coaching staff a ton of the credit for his improvement; but some of it is due to leadership and xample and transmission of how to practice, etc., of guys like Goodwin.

All things being equal, we want the great 4-year kids.  They typically mature so much and strengthen their bodies a lot in the first 2 years -- just look at where our juniors are going into their senior season. Tough, resilient, experienced leaders/ ballers. & teachers too...

CBFan likes this

11 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Can you recall the last player that stayed five years at SLU, through a redshirt year?  There are very few nation wide this year that have stayed at the same school for five years. 

Bryce Husak maybe?  Didn't he redshirt?

I can't think of anyone else that redshirted and stuck around / played 4 years.

Doctor B, I  agree there were a lot of really admirable things about Welmer's commitment to SLU and the sport. At the same time it  could be said that he just could not accept the increasingly clear truth  that he just would never be able to play competitively again. After X number of surgeries and re fractures, the truth of his condition should have been (painfully) evident to him, as well as those around him. Finally he got to realize what reality was but it took a long long time. You may even claim he was in denial, something that is not admirable at all. Was the team encouraging to stay and try again and again while this personal drama was being played?

It is always a knife's edge decision when you are dealing with very talented, committed, and NICE athletes nearing a time of decision of this kind. They always should be supported and helped to find out what is best for them.  We are nearing the time of having to evaluate Fred Thatch's play next year, I hope reality plays a major part in the advice given to him and the support offered. Miracles do not happen. Yes, I agree, there are stories of double amputees getting to play tennis and hold a job, however there are no double amputees playing professional sports at all or dancing for a major professional dance company. It is just too much for  them. Have you ever heard of "hard love", it is real love that does not avoid reality. The team has to set priorities regarding cases like these. What is best for Fred?, what was best  for Elliot?

42 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Bryce Husak maybe?  Didn't he redshirt?

I can't think of anyone else that redshirted and stuck around / played 4 years.

Just checked and yes he redshirted the 2003-2004 season.  So he spent 5 years here.  That's been a while.  Good find.

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Just checked and yes he redshirted the 2003-2004 season.  So he spent 5 years here.  That's been a while.  Good find.

Justin Johnson did, too, a year before Bryce. I don't think anyone voluntarily redshirted under Majerus or Crews.

6 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

He was here for four years and participated in senior night activities. You’re being intentionally obtuse by classifying him as anything but someone who stayed all four years.

5 hours ago, DoctorB said:

That's pretty unfair to Elliott, a tough kid who tried very hard and stuck it out.  Another recent 4-year good guy/good student & citizen is John Manning. These kinds of kids are extremely valuable to a program, because they transmit the cultural capital and maintain a level of continuity.  This is extremely valuable in terms of practice and learning the system: take a kid like TJ Hargrove -- I give the coaching staff a ton of the credit for his improvement; but some of it is due to leadership and xample and transmission of how to practice, etc., of guys like Goodwin.

All things being equal, we want the great 4-year kids.  They typically mature so much and strengthen their bodies a lot in the first 2 years -- just look at where our juniors are going into their senior season. Tough, resilient, experienced leaders/ ballers. & teachers too...

You're making a different argument.  I'm not making a value judgement on guys who stay at a school for four years; I'm saying fans rarely see guys play at one school for four years anymore.

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I assume you meant to include Thatch.  Odds are slim though that we will have two five year players after none for 15+ years.

Why? Fred had a rare condition. Jimerson broke his foot early in the season, why such slim odds.  

8 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Why? Fred had a rare condition. Jimerson broke his foot early in the season, why such slim odds.  

Yes, I know of Thatch's condition and Jimerson's foot.  Not sure why you mentioned their issues as that is common knowledge.

Why slim odds?  I look at the landscape.  How many 5 year players staying at one school in D1 were there this year?  I don' t know either, but not many.  With free transfer coming up, more and more will likely explore other options.

I truly hope BOTH Fred and Gibson stay five years.  But I wouldn't bet the weekly paycheck on it, not with what is happening in the NCAA.

Just now, HoosierPal said:

Yes, I know of Thatch's condition and Jimerson's foot.  Not sure why you mentioned their issues as that is common knowledge.

Well, I was mainly just talking about how Fred had a rare condition so its dumb to compare it to typical injuries for players over the last 15 years.  Not saying you were.  

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Why slim odds?  I look at the landscape.  How many 5 year players staying at one school in D1 were there this year?  I don' t know either, but not many.  With free transfer coming up, more and more will likely explore other options.

How many of those transfer for reasons such as; coaching change, team under-performing.  neither of those two I see happening. 

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I truly hope BOTH Fred and Gibson stay five years.  But I wouldn't bet the mortgage on it, not with what is happening in the NCAA.

Here is where I stand:

Part 1) Why would you think a player would transfer without any particular reason? Why would you think either Jimerson or thatch would/could leave? Both are extremely important. Thatch is a lock down defender from the area.  Jimerson is the best shooter on the team. Unless you're a really small school, which we are not, you dont just lose players randomly unless theres a coaching change. 

part 2) Both have excellent cases for red-shirts