Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

6 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Yuri, Jacobs, Goodwin, Thatch with Perkins, Jimerson, Hargrove filling spots on the wing along with Strickland and Lorentsson joining the crew. 

If hes patient, and understanding, a ton of minutes will open up. Goodwin a senior, Jacobs a junior, Fred we dont know about yet.  Jimerson and fred can also both play the 3 at times. I really like Yuri playing around 32-34 minutes a game for a few reasons, so 6-8 minutes just at the point after next year. 

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

You can safely ignore the interior scoring in that highlight video.  It's a highlight video.  In real life, Russell struggles to score in the paint.  At the A-10 level, he will be almost exclusively a three-point shooter offensively.  Maybe after a couple of years of bulking up he will capable of doing more.

I think his ability to use both hands and he looked to have a nice touch on the little floater will help, but in regards to recruits, I'll certainly cede to your opinion. 

9 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Well...if the idea is to find someone to backup Yuri as well as get minutes alongside him Russell definitely could fill that role.  I heard last week that there was some interest from Marquette and SLU and that SWIC was waiting in the wings if he didn't find anything...but I didn't think much of the SLU mention because of Yuri and the guard situation going into next year.  Yuri, Jacobs, Goodwin, Thatch with Perkins, Jimerson, Hargrove filling spots on the wing along with Strickland and Lorentsson joining the crew.  They also have interest in a big as well.  With the roster as it is at the moment it doesn't seem like a good fit.  

I think Russell coming to SLU would require a guard leaving. I won’t speculate on how realistic that is, or who could or would leave in order for that to happen. But I just can’t see him committing to SLU unless another guard transfers. It would make no sense otherwise.

billiken_roy likes this

3 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I think Russell coming to SLU would require a guard leaving. I won’t speculate on how realistic that is, or who could or would leave in order for that to happen. But I just can’t see him committing to SLU unless another guard transfers. It would make no sense otherwise.

Im not sure for this class thats necessarily true.  We have 6 front court players next year, and 5 the following year.

5 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Russell may be insurance in the case Fred can't come back, which we may know sooner than later. I'm not going to speculate on anyone checking out, but that too is always a possibility. 

6 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Russell may be insurance in the case Fred can't come back, which we may know sooner than later. I'm not going to speculate on anyone checking out, but that too is always a possibility. 

Could be right.

39 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Well...if the idea is to find someone to backup Yuri as well as get minutes alongside him Russell definitely could fill that role.  I heard last week that there was some interest from Marquette and SLU and that SWIC was waiting in the wings if he didn't find anything...but I didn't think much of the SLU mention because of Yuri and the guard situation going into next year.  Yuri, Jacobs, Goodwin, Thatch with Perkins, Jimerson, Hargrove filling spots on the wing along with Strickland and Lorentsson joining the crew.  They also have interest in a big as well.  With the roster as it is at the moment it doesn't seem like a good fit.  

🧐  This is the 2nd time you've mentioned SLU being interested in a big.  I have a feeling there is some knowledge you're withholding from us here...

RiseAndGrind and Coach314 like this

Just now, RUBillsFan said:

🧐  This is the 2nd time you've mentioned SLU being interested in a big.  I have a feeling there is some knowledge you're withholding from us here...

LEVI???

Off the cuff, Social Distancing, I think I would rather have Levi over Russel? 

1 hour ago, Coach314 said:

If Russell is OK with not playing much his first year, Goodwin is gone after next year.  Minutes at guard will open up.  We're going to a be more perimeter-oriented team after the Double-Double twins leave and he would fit in well within that scheme.

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If Russell is OK with not playing much his first year, Goodwin is gone after next year.  Minutes at guard will open up.  We're going to a be more perimeter-oriented team after the Double-Double twins leave and he would fit in well within that scheme.

I love Goodwin and French but I am excited about how this team looks after they are gone too. It is going to be a completely different style of basketball I think. I think Ford's teams will always be "bigger and tougher" than the rest of the A10 but I do think we have the ability to add more skilled shooters/playmakers in the future. 

6 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

True true.  You guys may be right.  Him and Yuri out there together would be fun to watch

Russell's stats at Vashon this season: 15.7 PPG (second to Fletcher), .450/.568/.817 (he was .339 from 2, so he's not much of an inside scorer in HS, let alone college), 2.8 RPG, 4.5 APG, 1.2 SPG.

That indeed makes him a 180 shooter (.450 + .568 + .817 = 1.835) despite his 2-point percentage.

Here's his game log.

It's worth noting that HS stats aren't perfect and if the Kirksville game is included despite the glitch (made FGs without any attempted FGs), his percentages could be slightly inflated.

That said, a backup PG who can shoot like that is intriguing.

My two cents worth, pros and cons:

Russell, guard, local, Yuri's cousin. Can shoot, committed to MoSt now transferring because coach left. Russell's commitment to SLU will, I think, markedly  increases the chances of Jacobs, who is a productive player, transferring out.

Houston, big, viewed by some as a replacement for French. His team did not do that well in competition, he appears to shoot well. Very interested in SLU, I believe he was listing SLU as one of his favorites before we offered. Houston commitment to SLU will, I think, make it certain to Hankton he should transfer out.

Of the two options, I  would prefer the replacement big that may displace a less productive player from Team Blue.

This is not up to me, of course, it is up to Ford and the staff.

4 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Russell, guard, local, Yuri's cousin. Can shoot, committed to MoSt now transferring because coach left. Russell's commitment to SLU will, I think, markedly  increases the chances of Jacobs, who is a productive player, transferring out.

Houston, big, viewed by some as a replacement for French. His team did not do that well in competition, he appears to shoot well. Very interested in SLU, I believe he was listing SLU as one of his favorites before we offered. Houston commitment to SLU will, I think, make it certain to Hankton he should transfer out.

Of the two options, I  would prefer the replacement big that may displace a less productive player from Team Blue.

Are you sure you don't have some say? 

Littlebill likes this

22 minutes ago, Old guy said:

-SEMO, not SWMOS

One other thing is injuries. Always nice to have backups. Russell also made some pretty sweet assists. I'm probably wrong on this but the size of A10 PGs didn't overwhelm me this year, i.e. No players like Kwamain and that guy from Temple. Most looked Yuri sized, so this Russell could be a nice backup. 

45 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Not wise, Old Guy, to put Jacobs in the Portal. A lot of us still like him.