Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

It wouldn't hurt to get a backup for Yuri. He avg'd 32 mpg this year that's a lot for such a high energy guy. The tired factor may have come into play on some of his TO's. Like a shooter losing his legs, a PG who handles the rock as much as Yuri could get mentally tired and make some mistakes. But if Russell is in the mix, we still need a backup PF. Doesn't that indicate we may have two departures from the current roster? 

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, slu72 said:

It wouldn't hurt to get a backup for Yuri. He avg'd 32 mpg this year that's a lot for such a high energy guy. The tired factor may have come into play on some of his TO's. Like a shooter losing his legs, a PG who handles the rock as much as Yuri could get mentally tired and make some mistakes. But if Russell is in the mix, we still need a backup PF. Doesn't that indicate we may have two departures from the current roster? 

Looking at the video, he reminds me of Tay Weaver with his shooting, but with more playmaking ability.

Frank not always on the mark, but he has been pretty spot on with his local SLU recruiting scoops during the Ford era - Goodwin, Yuri, Gordon, Hargrove and even the Mike Lewis transfer, he was spot on and had it early on.  He clearly has a good source on the staff or close to the program.

8 minutes ago, ACE said:

Frank not always on the mark, but he has been pretty spot on with his local SLU recruiting scoops during the Ford era - Goodwin, Yuri, Gordon, Hargrove and even the Mike Lewis transfer, he was spot on and had it early on.  He clearly has a good source on the staff or close to the program.

Unless a top local recruit commits to a school and then decommits randomly.  In that case you will hear Frank say he think the kid is a SLU lean but was poached by Martin (Waston/Pickett/Tilmon).  This is him decommitting because of coaching change so don't think it would apply.  

RiseAndGrind likes this

Watching that video, why wouldn't you want him?  Not only can he shoot from deep, but I love the fact that he had quite a few mid-range shots, including some teardrops and he clearly excels at driving to the basket.  What is not shown on the video is his ball handling skills but it sounds, from other comment, like he has the ability to break a press or push the ball up the court like Yuri.  I noticed that Coach played YC and TW together once in a while so maybe there would be enough "Guard" minutes available (maybe 45 per game to be split by those two.  For example, 30 for Yuri and 15 for Russell next year.

I also like the Vashon inroads aspect of this possible signing, but if it came down to one of two, I would prefer D Houston.  We really need a big, rebound-eating PF to step into the HF role, especially since we will not only be losing HF's rebounds after next year, but also JG's.

I really like him. 

Finishes with both hands. 

Has a knack for when to drive into contact and when to avoid

Great feel for how and when to use a little hesitation move with the dribble and a nice subtle head fake off the catch.  

Great change of pace and sense of when to use it. 

Great floater with both hands when he gets in the lane.

Very quick release and pretty good form. 

Good passer. 

Compared to Yuri, he clearly isn't the passer Yuri is, but he's a much more polished offensive player in regards to his own scoring ability. 

bauman likes this

24 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

With recruiting locked down for a month I'm guessing it will be a while before we hear anything. 

I hope you are wrong on this.  As I recall, the current ban is on in-person VISITS.  Calls and texts are still ok and a kid (Russell or Houston could commit at this time as I read it.  Plus getting PR would mean we didn't strike out on local recruiting this year.

Edited by bauman
additional comment

I agree with pretty much everything everyone has said about Russell. The kid can obviously shoot it. But what impressed me most, for a smaller kid, was his creativity and body control when driving inside. He can finish with the floater, but can also finish with contact. You can never have too many natural scorers. I’m interested to see how this plays out.

3 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I really like him. 

Finishes with both hands. 

Has a knack for when to drive into contact and when to avoid

Great feel for how and when to use a little hesitation move with the dribble and a nice subtle head fake off the catch.  

Great change of pace and sense of when to use it. 

Great floater with both hands when he gets in the lane.

Very quick release and pretty good form. 

Good passer. 

Compared to Yuri, he clearly isn't the passer Yuri is, but he's a much more polished offensive player in regards to his own scoring ability. 

You can safely ignore the interior scoring in that highlight video.  It's a highlight video.  In real life, Russell struggles to score in the paint.  At the A-10 level, he will be almost exclusively a three-point shooter offensively.  Maybe after a couple of years of bulking up he will capable of doing more.

SLU_Nick and slufanskip like this

2 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I was really into the prospect of taking Mario McKinney so I guess I'm being inconsistent in not understanding why we would want Russell? Can @Coach314provide any insight? 

Well...if the idea is to find someone to backup Yuri as well as get minutes alongside him Russell definitely could fill that role.  I heard last week that there was some interest from Marquette and SLU and that SWIC was waiting in the wings if he didn't find anything...but I didn't think much of the SLU mention because of Yuri and the guard situation going into next year.  Yuri, Jacobs, Goodwin, Thatch with Perkins, Jimerson, Hargrove filling spots on the wing along with Strickland and Lorentsson joining the crew.  They also have interest in a big as well.  With the roster as it is at the moment it doesn't seem like a good fit.