Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

19 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Why wouldnt you just tell them their time is up here?

as i have said a trillion times, unless they do not do their work off the court, i.e. academics, being a good citizen being a good teamate, i believe that when a student athlete is promised an athletic scholarship, it should be for the duration to complete their degree.   give them their 4 years.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

He came in with an injury. He’s been playing catch-up since he arrived on campus. There are any number of reasons for such a scenario outside of him not being any good, or not having any potential. We’ll find out next year. I’m just not ready to throw a kid under the bus with speculation when he came in with an injury.

and i didnt say that.   in fact i said, i dont know if he is or isnt good.  i only see he is tall in warm ups.   but thanks for taking my remarks out of context.

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

as i have said a trillion times, unless they do not do their work off the court, i.e. academics, being a good citizen being a good teamate, i believe that when a student athlete is promised an athletic scholarship, it should be for the duration to complete their degree.   give them their 4 years.

Ok, I was kidding about the telling them part, what I really meant is you can do things like over-recruit etc. and hope they decide to go elsewhere  

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

and i didnt say that.   in fact i said, i dont know if he is or isnt good.  i only see he is tall in warm ups.   but thanks for taking my remarks out of context.

You said that you would try to get kids who’s potential you don’t believe in out as quickly as possible. I asked if it was a generic statement or if you were referring to Diarra. You said it was generic but could be used in reference to Diarra. What exactly did I take out of context?

What I am going to say is just my opinion some of which is speculation:

1. Diarra. I have no idea about his potential or what the staff evaluation of his talent is. I know he has played very few minutes this year and that he had an injury that limited him. I do not know it the staff considers him a liability or an asset, but I do not perceive any urge to make any changes in the status quo at the time. I expect to see him in the team next season.

2. Hankton. He has tried to play seriously and has achieved little this season. I think the staff expected good things from him at the beginning of the season. I do not think the staff expects much from him at this time. I think he is likely to transfer at the end of the season.

3. Jacobs. I have no idea what happened that caused his suspension, I believe he is upset, but Ford has said he will play, so we have to assume he will. If he transfers before the next season it is likely to  be entirely his own doing.

4. Raboin, Courtney, and Hightower. If Raboin has the scholarship, his eligibility ends this season so he will be out next season. I have no idea if Hightower has the scholarship or not, and I have no idea what he may or may not do for next season. Courtney is definitely a walk on.

5. Thatch. As you all know I am very aware that Thatch has a significant medical problem. I think, based upon Ford's statements, that he is doing reasonably well at practice, and that he will play next year. What I do not know is how long he will be able to play per game, or at what level. I seriously do not expect him to be able to play at his prior performance level. It will be up to Ford and Thatch to decide if what he can achieve in sustainable play is adequate or not.

6. Weaver, as we all know will be leaving at the end of this season.

7 Jimerson. He will be fine and ready to play full tilt next season.

I assume everybody else will stay for next season. So yes, I think there is a possibility that more than two recruits will be needed for next season and we should be ready to fill the spots as they open.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

Basically I agree, but what about a player that really doesn't work hard or try to improve. Good grades, gets along with everyone, stays out of trouble, but is just has a lazy work ethic on the court. 

I'd have less of a problem with the system as is, if the school has a punishment also. 

if i was a college coach, i would not waste redshirt years on players that i dont value their potential.    get them through the system asap so as to get that scholarship back. 

Kind of with you, but what was the conversation on the coaching staff when they first offered Diarra?  We don't know.  Hopefully they had (have) a long term plan for him.  I just find it strange that he has played so little.  Since he has played, I assume he is fit enough to play.  Seems like a few minutes at a time additional appearances might have benefited the team in a game or two.  Not being negative on Hargrove or Hankton, but Diarra in the post on D is a larger body than either of them. 

Redshirts probably will become a thing of the past once the free pass rule comes into play.  Well, there will still be medical waivers, but good luck trying to get that player to stay five years with you.

The Wiz just said Jacobs was listed in the injury list as out for an indeterminate amount of time. If this is the case, it makes it more likely that he will transfer out at the end of the season. If this is the case, I was not aware of this, my bad.

generic, but it could definitely apply to diarra seeing he has played less than 10 minutes total for the year and people are wondering why we just didnt redshirt him.  i have no idea how good he is or isnt.   he looks tall in warmups.   sometimes that is a good thing in itself.   

No inside info here but I will be surprised if he is back. They would have found some minutes for him if they felt he was in their plans. 

6 minutes ago, Old guy said:

The Wiz just said Jacobs was listed in the injury list as out for an indeterminate amount of time. If this is the case, it makes it more likely that he will transfer out at the end of the season. If this is the case, I was not aware of this, my bad.

Transferring due to this suspension, that's a jump, don't you think. We have no idea why he was suspended.  Does Jacobs agree with the suspension?  Has Goodwin counseled him on his suspension and how he put it behind him?   Perhaps Jacobs and Ford have had a very cordial conversation, and Jacobs wants to 'fix' whatever happened and move forward as a Billiken.  TeamBlue is special.  

10 minutes ago, willie said:

No inside info here but I will be surprised if he is back. They would have found some minutes for him if they felt he was in their plans. 

Where would they have found minutes for him? Which game this season can you point to where you think to yourself, “this would be a great time to find minutes for a true freshman, who came in injured and got a late start, and get him his first minutes of D1 basketball”? Did I miss a game where we were blowing a team out by 35 points? Even games where we built 20+ point leads never felt comfortable ‘til the very end. Yeah, it would’ve been great to find him some minutes this season, but you still have to win games. Just because he wasn’t ready this year, DOESN’T mean he won’t be ready next year. 

2 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Where would they have found minutes for him? Which game this season can you point to where you think to yourself, “this would be a great time to find minutes for a true freshman, who came in injured and got a late start, and get him his first minutes of D1 basketball”? Did I miss a game where we were blowing a team out by 35 points? Even games where we built 20+ point leads never felt comfortable ‘til the very end. Yeah, it would’ve been great to find him some minutes this season, but you still have to win games. Just because he wasn’t ready this year, DOESN’T mean he won’t be ready next year. 

We had this debate a few weeks ago but yes they could have found some minutes. We have played some very small lineups at time. I believe if they felt he had potential he would have found the floor. 

Just now, willie said:

We had this debate a few weeks ago but yes they could have found some minutes. We have played some very small lineups at time. I believe if they felt he had potential he would have found the floor. 

I wholeheartedly disagree. If every program gave up on kids because they didn’t play big minutes their freshman year, especially when the kid came in injured and behind everyone else on the team, they’d be missing out on some phenomenal players. But whatever. The only possible explanation for him not playing more this year is that he’s bad, and has no potential to contribute. Whatever you say boss.

1 minute ago, Reinert310 said:

I wholeheartedly disagree. If every program gave up on kids because they didn’t play big minutes their freshman year, especially when the kid came in injured and behind everyone else on the team, they’d be missing out on some phenomenal players. But whatever. The only possible explanation for him not playing more this year is that he’s bad, and has no potential to contribute. Whatever you say boss.

I hear he is a good kid and a great teammate but yes maybe he can't play. I hope I'm wrong and he's the next Shaq.  We will just have to wait and see. 

1 minute ago, willie said:

I hear he is a good kid and a great teammate but yes maybe he can't play. I hope I'm wrong and he's the next Shaq.  We will just have to wait and see. 

And you can make this assumption from what info, exactly? Look at how long it took TJ to pick up the offense and defense, now imagine you’re limited in practice at the start of the year because of an injury. There’s a reason Ford recruited and signed him. 9 minutes of game time and sh!tload of speculation doesn’t change that.

2 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

And you can make this assumption from what info, exactly? Look at how long it took TJ to pick up the offense and defense, now imagine you’re limited in practice at the start of the year because of an injury. There’s a reason Ford recruited and signed him. 9 minutes of game time and sh!tload of speculation doesn’t change that.

We are repeating ourselves but my assumption is based on the fact that he played 9 minutes. 

2 minutes ago, willie said:

We are repeating ourselves but my assumption is based on the fact that he played 9 minutes. 

That’s not a whole helluva lot of info to make a pretty ginormous assumption. My point is, there are plenty of other explanations for him only playing 9 minutes outside of him not being any good. 

37 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Transferring due to this suspension, that's a jump, don't you think. We have no idea why he was suspended.  Does Jacobs agree with the suspension?  Has Goodwin counseled him on his suspension and how he put it behind him?   Perhaps Jacobs and Ford have had a very cordial conversation, and Jacobs wants to 'fix' whatever happened and move forward as a Billiken.  TeamBlue is special.  

I fully agree TeamBlue is a very special place. However if you are suspended indefinitely, as the Wiz claims, you may be upset enough to transfer. It is up to Jacobs to put up with whatever he has to do to get back to play, or to do the opposite and transfer. It is not up to me.

3 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

That’s not a whole helluva lot of info to make a pretty ginormous assumption. My point is, there are plenty of other explanations for him only playing 9 minutes outside of him not being any good. 

If we’re gonna call kids tools for not coming to SLU, it makes no sense to give up kids who DO come to SLU after 1 year, simply because they only played a few minutes, especially when an injured is involved. No kid who comes to SLU to play basketball is a finished product before, during or after their freshman year. Cut the kid some slack. Jesus.

Remember, Grandy Glaze played a few spot minutes under Majerus in his freshman season, 2011-12, but as a sophomore (under Crews) he was a contributor in the rotation (in fact, he was a starter part of the year, though he didn't play many minutes — somewhat like Jimmy Bell Jr much of this season).  Therefore, I don't know if it's fair to write Madani Diarra off.

4 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Basically I agree, but what about a player that really doesn't work hard or try to improve. Good grades, gets along with everyone, stays out of trouble, but is just has a lazy work ethic on the court. 

I'd have less of a problem with the system as is, if the school has a punishment also. 

That's a weird little slice of humanity getting good grades at a hard university, being popular and and not a problem with authority presumably plays by the rules but has a bad work ethic on the court doing what got him a schollie to do? :)

rgbilliken likes this

45 minutes ago, almaman said:

That's a weird little slice of humanity getting good grades at a hard university, being popular and and not a problem with authority presumably plays by the rules but has a bad work ethic on the court doing what got him a schollie to do? :)

Not really. Many players think they are working hard but really aren't. Many players don't improve much and imo it's because often the work ethic just isn't there. 

26 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

It's unfair. Very. Give this kid a chance, -- hard worker, growing into his body, good citizen.  Great to have for practices, too.  Time will tell, he's raw, but lots of upside.

He’s done some great charity work in Africa too, right?