Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

On 2/28/2020 at 7:38 PM, courtside said:

SLU has offered 2020 6'5 shooting guard Brandon Murray from Baltimore Poly. They won the Baltimore City Championship for the 3rd time in 5 years earlier this week.

Brandon Murray was named Baltimore City Player of the Year.

Tonight Maryland 3A Region 1 Championship:

Poly 92 City 60. (game was tied at 37 at half time) Murray had 20 points for Poly. Rhode Island and Georgetown at the game. Georgetown offered Murray after the game.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, courtside said:

Brandon Murray was named Baltimore City Player of the Year.

Tonight Maryland 3A Region 1 Championship:

Poly 92 City 60. (game was tied at 37 at half time) Murray had 20 points for Poly. Rhode Island and Georgetown at the game. Georgetown offered Murray after the game.

Does this mean we are anticipating a player leaving? Would that be Hightowers schollie?

14 minutes ago, Glorydayzedandconfused said:

It is a legitimate question. I thought we had our two 2020 scholarships

You don't think Ford knows if a player or two won't be back?  I think he knows and such things are usually not announced during the season.  Besides, you never stop recruiting.

Who's on scholarship, Raboin or Hightower?  Raboin and Weaver are our seniors and we are listed as having two there.  So replacing them would be Strickland and Lorentsson.  But Hightower is listed as a junior yet we only show three scholarships there and we know that is Goodwin, French and Perkins.  But I have heard many references to how Hightower, the former manager/walk-on, was given a scholarship.  That can't be true here.

I still think the nominees for open positions are Hankton (transfer) and Thatch (pending better medical results/information).

@glazedandconfused: are you sure Murray is Baltimore's PHL POY?  I can't find that.  Senior wingman Justin Lewis, a Marquette commit, is also on that Poly team and went off for 34 last night.  The Sun lists Lewis as All-Metro; no such ranking for Murray.  Speaking of Murray, Maryland just offered him in late February; Georgetown, Ole Miss, VA Tech and DePaul among smaller schools have offered.  So too has Rhode Island, the Bonnies and Geedubya.  Murray is heating up.  Poly has surpassed Dunbar as the basketball school of choice in Baltimore City.

4 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Who's on scholarship, Raboin or Hightower?  Raboin and Weaver are our seniors and we are listed as having two there.  So replacing them would be Strickland and Lorentsson.  But Hightower is listed as a junior yet we only show three scholarships there and we know that is Goodwin, French and Perkins.  But I have heard many references to how Hightower, the former manager/walk-on, was given a scholarship.  That can't be true here.

IIRC Raboin is the WO and Hightower was recently placed on scholarship.  If true, I could see ford pulling Hightowers scholarship to make-way for one more spot. Also what is Courtney

Also worth keeping an eye on is Diarra. What seems to me is Diarra and Bell were expected to come in together and compete.  It hasnt been much of a competition due to the surprise of Bell . I understand Diarra in the offseason was recovering from injuries, but it'll be interesting to see what Diarra and staff decide to do. 

5 minutes ago, wgstl said:

IIRC Raboin is the WO and Hightower was recently placed on scholarship.  If true, I could see ford pulling Hightowers scholarship to make-way for one more spot. Also what is Courtney

I thought earlier this year it was announced Raboin was given the open scholarship.  Interesting it went to Hightower instead...........

Just now, HoosierPal said:

I thought earlier this year it was announced Raboin was given the open scholarship.  Interesting it went to Hightower instead...........

Maybe I am actually getting them mixed up. shoot idk. I just know Courtney is a WO after reading an article. 

6 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I still think the nominees for open positions are Hankton (transfer) and Thatch (pending better medical results/information).

@glazedandconfused: are you sure Murray is Baltimore's PHL POY?  I can't find that.  Senior wingman Justin Lewis, a Marquette commit, is also on that Poly team and went off for 34 last night.  The Sun lists Lewis as All-Metro; no such ranking for Murray.  Speaking of Murray, Maryland just offered him in late February; Georgetown, Ole Miss, VA Tech and DePaul among smaller schools have offered.  So too has Rhode Island, the Bonnies and Geedubya.  Murray is heating up.  Poly has surpassed Dunbar as the basketball school of choice in Baltimore City.

forwarding to @Glorydayzedandconfused who i think you meant it for

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

Also worth keeping an eye on is Diarra. What seems to me is Diarra and Bell were expected to come in together and compete.  It hasnt been much of a competition due to the surprise of Bell . I understand Dianna in the offseason was recovering from injuries, but it'll be interesting to see what Diarra and staff decide to do. 

Yes, isn't that one interesting question we would like answered.  So far Diarra has played 9 minutes.  For my 2 cents, those 9 minutes could have been given to Walk On xyz, and save Diarra's year as a redshirt.  But I trust the staff and Diarri have had ample conversations on this topic.

18 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Maybe I am actually getting them mixed up. shoot idk. I just know Courtney is a WO after reading an article. 

Carter said it was Raboin who got it. Link

"Tay enters SLU as the final puzzle piece of the 2019/2020 roster. While there is, or was, another scholarship available for another recruit the Billikens have opted to award that scholarship to (now) former walk-on Jack Raboin"

23 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Yes, isn't that one interesting question we would like answered.  So far Diarra has played 9 minutes.  For my 2 cents, those 9 minutes could have been given to Walk On xyz, and save Diarra's year as a redshirt.  But I trust the staff and Diarri have had ample conversations on this topic.

if i was a college coach, i would not waste redshirt years on players that i dont value their potential.    get them through the system asap so as to get that scholarship back. 

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

if i was a college coach, i would not waste redshirt years on players that i dont value their potential.    get them through the system asap so as to get that scholarship back. 

Is this just a generic statement...or are you referring to Diarra?

8 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Is this just a generic statement...or are you referring to Diarra?

generic, but it could definitely apply to diarra seeing he has played less than 10 minutes total for the year and people are wondering why we just didnt redshirt him.  i have no idea how good he is or isnt.   he looks tall in warmups.   sometimes that is a good thing in itself.   

18 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Why wouldnt you just tell them their time is up here?

Just now, billiken_roy said:

generic, but it could definitely apply to diarra seeing he has played less than 10 minutes total for the year and people are wondering why we just didnt redshirt him.  i have no idea how good he is or isnt.   he looks tall in warmups.   sometimes that is a good thing in itself.   

He came in with an injury. He’s been playing catch-up since he arrived on campus. There are any number of reasons for such a scenario outside of him not being any good, or not having any potential. We’ll find out next year. I’m just not ready to throw a kid under the bus with speculation when he came in with an injury.

SLU_Lax likes this

I'm okay with Diarra's season.  Next year will be key.  Old fashioned (such as I am) tradition was seeing kids depart mostly after two years in a program.  That has been augmented by the increase in grad transfers.  Jacobs' stock has increased, Hankton's not.  Let's see Madani next year.  I also like that he can bang with Jimmy Bell in practices; otherwise we have no one to push Jimmy.

drkelsey55 likes this

Just now, Taj79 said:

I also like that he can bang with Jimmy Bell in practices; otherwise we have no one to push Jimmy.

This is why I think TJ will be special. another offseason of going against french