Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

How many scholarship players do we have this year 12 or 13? If it is 12 we need 2 players (Strickland and Lorentsson). I assume Hankton may be transferring at the end of the season, this would free up another scholarship. I may be wrong.

Expected for next year:

1. Hasahn French
  2. Jordan Goodwin
  3. Javonte Perkins
  4. K.C. Hankton
  5. Demarius Jacobs
  6. Fred Thatch
  7. Jimmy Bell
  8. Yuri Collins
  9. Madani Diarra
  10. Terrence Hargrove
  11. Gibson Jimerson
  12. Andre Lorentsson
  13. Markhi Strickland

Only if any of the first 11 leaves or "retires" or any of the last two doesn't come is there an opening.

Recruiting continues, rosters are perpetually in flux.  Who knows?

4 hours ago, wgstl said:

I’m gonna say it, I don’t get a good vibe from Jacobs.  I like him, hope he stays, but I could see him transferring 

I like him and the potential he brings.  Everyone sees it.  Problem is he’s not consistent.  I don’t see the killer instinct game in and game out.  I hope he finds it.  

8 hours ago, wgstl said:

I’m gonna say it, I don’t get a good vibe from Jacobs.  I like him, hope he stays, but I could see him transferring 

I hate speculating which player(s) might transfer especially during the season.  That is why I bad posted you.

Big(ger) time programs have tons of offers out all the time even when they're full on scholarships.  Some programs are often even over-committed in terms of the number of players for the team the following year.  If you remember, that's actually how we ended up with Lancona because Washington State was overcommitted  None of that necessarily means that a player is leaving, it is just the nature of CBB for competitive teams. 

Another thing to remember is that there is a difference between an "offer" and an actual offer.  I'm nearly certain that all of the times we see a kid say he has on offer on Twitter don't necessarily mean the kid could get a basketball scholarship from us.  

I'm not a huge fan of being overcommitted, but still making "offers" / showing interest is something that we have to do and the coaches wouldn't be doing their jobs if they didn't.

Billiken Rich likes this

4 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I hate speculating which player(s) might transfer especially during the season.  That is why I bad posted you.

Big(ger) time programs have tons of offers out all the time even when they're full on scholarships.  Some programs are often even over-committed in terms of the number of players for the team the following year.  If you remember, that's actually how we ended up with Lancona because Washington State was overcommitted  None of that necessarily means that a player is leaving, it is just the nature of CBB for competitive teams. 

Another thing to remember is that there is a difference between an "offer" and an actual offer.  I'm nearly certain that all of the times we see a kid say he has on offer on Twitter don't necessarily mean the kid could get a basketball scholarship from us.  

I'm not a huge fan of being overcommitted, but still making "offers" / showing interest is something that we have to do and the coaches wouldn't be doing their jobs if they didn't.

I also dislike speculating on who is going to transfer or leave. It isnt fair to the player and i find is distasteful. When the season is over we will find out who stays or leaves.As coach ford said you can never stop recruiting, injuries, illness and "situations" happen and you have to be ready. i encourage everyone to stop the speculation and support the players until or if they leave.

Bizziken, slufanskip and CBFan like this

2 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

He’s a Sophomore.  Have you seen improvement from last year?

Obviously he has improved.   But do you think he’s living up to his potential?  He has a great skill set.   But sometimes he just seems like he’s going through the motions.   I hope he’s here 4yrs.  I just hope he turns the intensity up a notch or two.  He could be great.

Couple things

1) jacobs has improved immensely and by his senior year he could be a real difference maker. We see evidence now that he can really change a game 

2) not all offers are the same. 

3) surprising to see another offer to a High school guard. Thought we might want a (grad) transfer

Bizziken and Zink like this

17 hours ago, Pistol said:

His HS page on the Dallas Morning News unfortunately didn't have season stats, but you can see some individual game scoring totals here.

His Nike EYBL stats with Drive Nation are here.

HS stats show a bit of inconsistency with his scoring but I'd be curious to see his rebounding, percentages, blocks, etc. AAU stats show a more consistent scorer with a .522 FG%. He attempted some threes but didn't make any and he's a dreadful FT shooter.

Thanks Pistol. This video shows him making like 6 long range shots.  Its hard to reconcile a 25% free throw shooter even attempting a 3, let alone making any.  Most coaches would say don't even think about taking a 3 if you can't half of your free throws.  First time posting a video, so please excuse me if it fails.

26 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

And that’s fair, my (User)name is next to my post so I’m willing to eat crow if I’m wrong.  I’m not saying he’s going to be chased, I’m going off the vibe I get from him via his emotions from what I can see, social media etc. again, I hope he doesn’t leave. He could leave a mark here by the time he’s done, just a feeling deep down. Sorta how many, many people have speculated that hankton may be on the way out. Not sure how it’s any different.

Here is a link to another Donte Houston video.  I was not able to copy the video and paste it.  This video shows his inside game, both ends of the floor.  He looks like a natural shot blocker in this one.  The longest shot is from about the free throw line.

https://a.hudl.com/video/3/8468802/5c421459ff01dd10544e0c39

I think it is best not to speculate about spcific players.  We can all look at the minutes played and guess who might leave or look at the competition at a givien position and speculate about who is at the bottom of the pecking order.  I suggest that putting out a name without the player or team makiing an announcement is nothing better than gosip and that isn't fair to players who work as hard as these guys do, whether they get minutes or not.

I think it is acceptable in todays game to say that 1 or more players may leave in a given season, just because that is what is happening accross division 1 basketball today.  Players look for playing time on leser teams, some players look for better teams, some player look for something closer to home and some just look for a place to start over.   We as fans often have no clue, all got suprised about Johnson leaving.  Players will often let the coach know that they intend to leave, but don't want it public during the season or while they are attending schcool 

Clock_Tower likes this

10 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Expected for next year:

1. Hasahn French
  2. Jordan Goodwin
  3. Javonte Perkins
  4. K.C. Hankton
  5. Demarius Jacobs
  6. Fred Thatch
  7. Jimmy Bell
  8. Yuri Collins
  9. Madani Diarra
  10. Terrence Hargrove
  11. Gibson Jimerson
  12. Andre Lorentsson
  13. Markhi Strickland

Only if any of the first 11 leaves or "retires" or any of the last two doesn't come is there an opening.

Recruiting continues, rosters are perpetually in flux.  Who knows?

This is really the best way to frame next season.  Anyone can play 'what if' on the first 11.  No MBM has knowledge of what any of these 11's future hold.  The two newcomers, same what if. 

As I have posted before, in the past decade, we have averaged 2.5 eligible players leaving the program per off season.  Only in two off seasons in the decade have no players left.  It happens.

10 hours ago, wgstl said:

Jacobs worked incredibly hard to improve his game over the off-season. One of the most notable year to year improvements we’ve seen from a Billiken. He seems like a great teammate. Ford is hard on him, but he always seems to take it well, and he’s shown up in big games multiple times this season. I expect him to stay a Billiken and remain on that upward trajectory.

CBFan, Littlebill, SShoe and 1 other like this

1 hour ago, Slowry said:

Obviously he has improved.   But do you think he’s living up to his potential?  He has a great skill set.   But sometimes he just seems like he’s going through the motions.   I hope he’s here 4yrs.  I just hope he turns the intensity up a notch or two.  He could be great.

Jacobs has gone from being a small school two-star recruit his junior year to playing 23 min a game a few years later for an A-10 team with NCAA tournament aspirations.  Yet the perception is that he's this natural basketball talent that isn't living up to his potential.  It's a testament to all his hard work that he's perceived that way.

20 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Jacobs has gone from being a small school two-star recruit his junior year to playing 23 min a game a few years later for an A-10 team with NCAA tournament aspirations.  Yet the perception is that he's this natural basketball talent that isn't living up to his potential.  It's a testament to all his hard work that he's perceived that way.

This is a great point. He originally signed with a middle of the road to lower end MVC team!

I admit I am a Jacobs homer.

You'd have to be really good and really confident to take a scholly at SLU right now. Look at this team: currently play 8, seven return, plus two guys who were rotations players will be back (Jimmerson + Thatch). Plus Strickland, who's going to play next year. If I were Ford, I'd look either for a true PG, or another big, for depth in case of injury. That's in the case of a scholarship opening up (or of Thatch not recovering). But if I'm a grad-transfer PG, I look at SLU and know that I'm probably not getting much run. 

24 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Exactly. Jacobs made three baskets last year...... the entire year. He committed 18 fouls and scored 8 points. He's averaging 7ppg in 23 minutes. Nobody even knew if he would play regular minutes to start the season. He hasn't been great every game, but he's been really solid on defense, and good enough from 3 to garner respect.

RiseAndGrind likes this

This dialogue - playing time generally being spoken for, currently not having recruiting spots, etc.... - makes me wonder how Diarra's season has gone. Obviously, he was still rehabbing from some significant injuries before coming to SLU. So it seems like a good thing he's been able to ease into D1 basketball. Nonetheless, Bell has made an immediate contribution and his path forward is pretty clear - I wonder what the trajectory is for Diarra. Is he doing well in practice? Adding value? Progressing toward playing time? Hopefully that's all the case. 

10 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

You'd have to be really good and really confident to take a scholly at SLU right now. Look at this team: currently play 8, seven return, plus two guys who were rotations players will be back (Jimmerson + Thatch). Plus Strickland, who's going to play next year. If I were Ford, I'd look either for a true PG, or another big, for depth in case of injury. That's in the case of a scholarship opening up (or of Thatch not recovering). But if I'm a grad-transfer PG, I look at SLU and know that I'm probably not getting much run. 

If a scholarship opens up, we have the luxury of taking traditional big man transfer who has to sit out a year.  The transfer waiver rule, if approved in April, wouldn't start until the 2020-2021 academic year.  Transfers in the 2019-2020 period would still have to sit out a year.