Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

21 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Miami 🛫 Charleston 🔵⚪

— Ford Stuen (@Ford_5) February 12, 2020

See the 2021 recruiting thread. New offer TyTy Washington is playing in an event there. Might see some new names emerge, as well.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I would not say our chances to go to the Dance this year are ended. We may still win the A10 tournament, however unlikely this appears at this time, and get in.

My post was about the at large chances slipped away with the 2 injuries.  I truly believe we beat Dayton both games with Thatch and Jimerson.

No doubt in my mind SLU can win the A10 tournament if Perkins can score 20 per night and Jacobs can play more consistent.

Going to the big dance next season is probable barring injuries.  The SLU BB program will be in good shape to get the local standout high school recruits.

Just catching up on like 2 weeks of posts because my sleep schedule is completely jacked (turns out I have less time on maternity leave to read the boards than I did at work) but wanted to give a straight female perspective 

I can’t believe there’s any argument on Jimerson’s hotness. He could get it for sure. 

8 minutes ago, billikentim said:

New 2020 offer. Interesting that it’s a small forward. Sounds like a good shooter though from what little I read.

28A5097D-4A0F-4B75-8A24-46902AEBD315.png

Seems like confirmation that Hankton won't be back.  We've got one scholarship and the staff has been offering bigs for months.  A shooter would put us one scholarship over.  He's about the same size as Hankton with a stronger resume as a shooter.

I have complete confidence in coach Ford’s recruiting, so what I’m about to say is probably best ignored, but I’m not sure how I feel about adding another wing. We are already going to hopefully have Goodwin, Jimerson, Jacobs, Thatch, Strickland, Perkins and Hargrove taking up minutes at the 2-3 slots. Unless the player were adding is an elite talent, I feel like we’d be better served targeting big men depth or saving the scholarship for transfer season.

billiken_roy likes this

26 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Seems like confirmation that Hankton won't be back.  We've got one scholarship and the staff has been offering bigs for months.  A shooter would put us one scholarship over.  He's about the same size as Hankton with a stronger resume as a shooter.

Hankton will also be a junior, not saying you’re wrong but even if hankton was good and played a lot we could still be recruiting a similar player 

In the small forward category, we currently show Perkins, Hankton, Hargrove and Strickland.  We have an offer out to Wilson, some are sepculating another to the Euro-four, and now this kid.  We are currently listed with one open spot.  Seems to me Hankton is being recruited over.  Also, does Hightower have a scholarship?  Could that be open spot #2?  Or is it Raboin?  Raboin and Hankton mean two and then, if you really want to ignore something, the elephant in the room is Thatch.  I want that kid back but we don't really know what's going on there.

45 minutes ago, NH said:

I have complete confidence in coach Ford’s recruiting, so what I’m about to say is probably best ignored, but I’m not sure how I feel about adding another wing. We are already going to hopefully have Goodwin, Jimerson, Jacobs, Thatch, Strickland, Perkins and Hargrove taking up minutes at the 2-3 slots. Unless the player were adding is an elite talent, I feel like we’d be better served targeting big men depth or saving the scholarship for transfer season.

I am in full agreement that the roster needs to be augmented with a player or two who plays with his back to the basket. 

As far as the others, Ford doesn't prescribe to the 1-5 routine.  How many times have you seen Goodwin, Jacobs and Perkins on the floor at the same time?  A lot. We have also seen Jacobs, as well as Goodwin, playing PG when Collins is out.  As long as any new guys can score, I'm good.

Jayson Woodrich - SF, 6-7, 200 - Beachwood, OH (Scotland Campus, PA) - AAU: All Ohio Red (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @jaywoodrich5
Offers: Saint Louis, Cleveland State, Fairfield, Stony Brook, Bryant.

Interest: St. Joe's, West Virginia, Arkansas, Washington State, Tulsa, Wyoming, Loyola-Chicago, Northern Iowa, SIU-Carbondale, Indiana State, Bradley, Eastern Kentucky, Marshall, Florida Atlantic, Ohio, Kent State, Toledo, Oakland, Youngstown State, South Dakota, Appalachian State, Texas-Arlington, Holy Cross, William & Mary, Wofford, The Citadel, Siena, Quinnipiac, Vermont, UMBC, UNC-Asheville, High Point, Robert Morris, Mount St. Mary's, Stetson, NJIT, Lipscomb, Coppin State.

Latest News: Woodrich received an offer from SLU. (2/13/20)

Scouting Report: Woodrich is an elite shooter with deep range. He has a quick and consistent stroke and he's able to use his size and length to shoot over defenders. He's lethal coming off screens and will catch and shoot from anywhere. He can also create points around the rim, has a nice turnaround jumper, and gets to the FT line. He's a very competitive player and has worked hard to develop other skills like verticality, ball handling, and shooting off the dribble. He's already a good passer for his size and position and makes plays for his teammates. He's a decent rebounder and can defend multiple positions. Woodrich graduated from Beachwood HS in the Cleveland area in 2019 and is doing a prep year at Scotland Campus in PA.

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

Jayson Woodrich - SF, 6-7, 200 - Beachwood, OH (Scotland Campus, PA) - AAU: All Ohio Red (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @jaywoodrich5
Offers: Saint Louis, Cleveland State, Fairfield, Stony Brook, Bryant.

Interest: St. Joe's, West Virginia, Arkansas, Washington State, Tulsa, Wyoming, Loyola-Chicago, Northern Iowa, SIU-Carbondale, Indiana State, Bradley, Eastern Kentucky, Marshall, Florida Atlantic, Ohio, Kent State, Toledo, Oakland, Youngstown State, South Dakota, Appalachian State, Texas-Arlington, Holy Cross, William & Mary, Wofford, The Citadel, Siena, Quinnipiac, Vermont, UMBC, UNC-Asheville, High Point, Robert Morris, Mount St. Mary's, Stetson, NJIT, Lipscomb, Coppin State.

Latest News: Woodrich received an offer from SLU. (2/13/20)

Scouting Report: Woodrich is an elite shooter with deep range. He has a quick and consistent stroke and he's able to use his size and length to shoot over defenders. He's lethal coming off screens and will catch and shoot from anywhere. He can also create points around the rim, has a nice turnaround jumper, and gets to the FT line. He's a very competitive player and has worked hard to develop other skills like verticality, ball handling, and shooting off the dribble. He's already a good passer for his size and position and makes plays for his teammates. He's a decent rebounder and can defend multiple positions. Woodrich graduated from Beachwood HS in the Cleveland area in 2019 and is doing a prep year at Scotland Campus in PA.

-what is there not to like? did he just blow up as seems with this description he would have bigger suitors?

1 hour ago, NH said:

This appears to be more of a Hankton player. It seems clear Ford really likes this kind of 6-6/6-7ish 3-point shooter type player. Remember, Jalen Johnson was the first high school recruit he signed.

There are still opportunities to land a more traditional big, with one open scholarship and don't forget Diarra - he either comes back and an improved version of him is an option OR he seeks greener pastures after this season and opens up one more scholarship.

I would like to see us land a big who is a shotblocker/rebounder/defender first and foremost.

10 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-what is there not to like? did he just blow up as seems with this description he would have bigger suitors?

I was just about to say this.  Its late in the class, and after reading the report he only has a few offers from the likes or Fairfield and Stony brook?

He's definitely a wing, and he's an elite shooter. He's just an inch shorter and has a bigger frame than Lorentsson. He's grown 2 inches in the past year. He's also exploding as a prospect.

He played four years at Beachwood HS in the Cleveland area, the last three as a varsity starter. He missed the first half of his junior year with a broken foot. He averaged 26.7 PPG as a senior and was named to the all-state team. He was thinking he'd be a JUCO prospect for a couple years but realized his grades were being hampered by undiagnosed learning disabilities - ADHD and dyslexia. He got medication and the resources he needed at school and his grades soared. Instead of going the JUCO route, he took a prep year. His first offers were in late November and early December before SLU offered. A ton of schools are interested and more will pull the trigger soon.

He's worked extensively with former Beachwood players who have gone D-I and come home for the summer. He's focused on ballhandling, shooting off the dribble, leaping ability, and more. That's showing in his Scotland Campus highlight videos this season.

He's a teammate of Abou Ousmane, a traditional center. They're not a package deal but SLU is actively recruiting both. Ousmane retweeted his SLU offer tweet with 👀.

He's had at least 12 games of 30+ points this season. He had 2 games where he hit 13 3-pointers. He's not a streaky shooter; he'll hit at any time to change momentum.

He's one of 13 siblings - 7 biological and 6 step-siblings after his mom remarried.

Favorite quote from my research on this kid: "Throw four people on me," Woodrich said, "I’ll still shoot right over you. I just feel like if I can get the ball off, the ball’s going in no matter what. That’s just how it’s been all year and I’ve got stats to show it."

Bottom line: Let's get him and Ousmane on campus for a visit. He and Jimerson together would change everything offensively.

Zink, CBFan and Neighbor Dave like this

A few other things based on replies above:

-We have 1 scholarship available officially. Raboin and Weaver out, Strickland in, one left.

-We have to be prepared for any possibility with Thatch.

-We don't know for sure what's up with Hankton but there were almost 1000 transfers last season, or about 3 per roster. If we have even 1, he's the leading candidate. Coaches always have to recruit as if they're going to have more scholarships than they currently have open. It's just the reality of this era.

-Based on those three factors, it's looking like we're recruiting at least two spots now - bigs and floor-spreading shooters with size. The question is what else we pursue if we have to fill 3 or more spots.

-Bigger programs have the ability to be more patient in the spring. You don't see a ton of offers from most of them right now; they get a ton done in March through May or so. They can swoop in and grab kids that other programs have worked all season. We have to be prepared for that with some of our names just popping up.

1 hour ago, NH said:

In the A-10, Woodrich is a 3/4.  

15 minutes ago, Pistol said:

. The question is what else we pursue if we have to fill 3 or more spots.

Gotta be a 1-2 guard. 

Jgood is a senior, Thatch could always be a liability unfortunately, that just leaves Yuri and Jacobs. 

1 hour ago, NH said:

U can never have too many snipers! 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

I am in full agreement that the roster needs to be augmented with a player or two who plays with his back to the basket. 

As far as the others, Ford doesn't prescribe to the 1-5 routine.  How many times have you seen Goodwin, Jacobs and Perkins on the floor at the same time?  A lot. We have also seen Jacobs, as well as Goodwin, playing PG when Collins is out.  As long as any new guys can score, I'm good.

I’m going to have to disagree with you. We play flexible lineups, but we certainly don’t play positionless basketball. Almost all of our sets has a designated 1-5. 

Now, who plays which position varies widely, which is why I listed a litany of people at the 2-3. The positions are flexible, but there are certain attributes we’ll always have on the floor in every lineup. I don’t think we need more bigs because of a strict depth chart, I think we need more bigs because we need more shotblocking, length and rebounding.

Littlebill likes this