Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

16 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

Ok, so let's theoretically say that Ford likes both Lorentsson and JC big Mahorčič a lot.  So, a little poll, since SLU can and likely would want to only sign one of them ...... who do you want more and why?

Both can shoot from outside but Lorentsson is clearly better.  Mahorčič is bigger in height and overall size and strength but has some history of foot issues.  He is likely a better rebounder and defender.  Lorentsson seems to be a better ball handler and can fast break.

My opinion.  I want that sharp-shooting big.  So Lorentsson is my pick.

Considering we will likely have to fill at least two more spots (expecting at least one departure from the current roster), I'm fine adding two bigs. A freshman and an upper classman (juco or grad transfer).  Ideally one of the bigs would be a stretch, and I would like to see the other one be a rim protector with some hops - when French graduates, that is going to be an important element the team will need to replace. Bell is not going to be a rim protector.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Bilzz said:

I was at the game tonight sitting opposite the bench. At one point he was walking past other players and I'd guess he was about an inch or two taller than French. Skinny build. He and the guy that was with him recorded the entire team intro on their phones.

Is he an inch or two taller than French or an inch or two taller than French's hair?

almaman likes this

André Lorentsson - PF, 6-8, 205 - Gothenburg, Sweden (Marks Gymnasiekola, Skene) - Basketettan (Swedish Third Tier) Team: RIG Mark
Offers: None

Interest: Saint Louis.

Latest News: Lorentsson visited SLU and attended the Duquesne game. He was in the US to play in a prep school invitational event in Providence with his team RIG Mark and averaged 19.3 PPG in three games. (2/6/20)

Scouting Report: Lorentsson is a stretch four with high-level shooting ability. He has a smooth, compact, consistent stroke and deep range. He runs the floor extremely well and is active in transition. He has good speed and quickness for his size. He's developing as a ball handler. He's lean but has decent length and should be able to build upon his frame. His RIG Mark team is currently first in the South division of the Basketettan and Lorentsson is the second-leading scorer, with a slash line of .673/.452/.880.

-Still building out the profile but that's what I've got to start with. He played very well at the National Prep School Invitational this weekend in Providence, averaging 19.3 PPG over three games. He was mentioned in a scout's tweet as a standout, and the guy added that Georgetown, Brown, Mount St. Mary's, Holy Cross, and some NBA scouts were in attendance that day. I'm sure there were others, too. He also played well in a December tournament in the Canary Islands.

RIG Mark appears to be associated with his high school, Marks, which means they're also amateur - the closest analogy here is probably a prep team like the one Strickland plays for. The school and club are in Skene, a town a little outside of Gothenburg, the second-largest city in Sweden. Looks like he was born in Lundby, right across the river from Gothenburg.

dennis_w likes this

32 minutes ago, Pistol said:

André Lorentsson - PF, 6-8, 205 - Gothenburg, Sweden (Marks Gymnasiekola, Skene) - Basketettan (Swedish Third Tier) Team: RIG Mark
Offers: None

Interest: Saint Louis.

Latest News: Lorentsson visited SLU and attended the Duquesne game. He was in the US to play in a prep school invitational event in Providence with his team RIG Mark and averaged 19.3 PPG in three games. (2/6/20)

Scouting Report: Lorentsson is a stretch four with high-level shooting ability. He has a smooth, compact, consistent stroke and deep range. He runs the floor extremely well and is active in transition. He has good speed and quickness for his size. He's developing as a ball handler. He's lean but has decent length and should be able to build upon his frame. His RIG Mark team is currently first in the South division of the Basketettan and Lorentsson is the second-leading scorer, with a slash line of .673/.452/.880.

-Still building out the profile but that's what I've got to start with. He played very well at the National Prep School Invitational this weekend in Providence, averaging 19.3 PPG over three games. He was mentioned in a scout's tweet as a standout, and the guy added that Georgetown, Brown, Mount St. Mary's, Holy Cross, and some NBA scouts were in attendance that day. I'm sure there were others, too. He also played well in a December tournament in the Canary Islands.

RIG Mark appears to be associated with his high school, Marks, which means they're also amateur - the closest analogy here is probably a prep team like the one Strickland plays for. The school and club are in Skene, a town a little outside of Gothenburg, the second-largest city in Sweden. Looks like he was born in Lundby, right across the river from Gothenburg.

Land him. I'm afraid he'll end up at Davidson or GW and torment us for 4 years. Just as long as his first shot in a game isn't fired up from the Arch like his Nordic cousin. 

Found another blurb on Lorentsson from December:

Global Jam & U18 Fred Olsen Basketball Tournament - Top Performers - 12/23/2019

U19 Global Jam Tournament and U18 Fred Olsen Tenerife Tournament were held in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria and Tenerife, Spain. Eurohopes attended both tournaments where participated Gran Canaria (Spain), Estudiantes (Spain), RIG Mark (Sweden), USK Praha (Czech Republic), Strength and Motion International (Sweden), Canterbury (Spain), CB Canarias (Spain), The Skill Factory (USA), Oxygen Bassano (Italy), Stellazzurra Rome (Italy), Real Madrid (Spain) and Joventut Badalona (Spain). The Skill Factory and Real Madrid won each tournament.

Andre Lorentsson (‘01). RIG Mark, 6’8, PF, Sweden
Good size for a four position. Not the greatest athlete but plays with energy and a high IQ. Fluid, executes quickly. Tremendous shooter, his team uses him off the screen where is lethal thanks to a supernatural and fluid motion. Super smart player, makes great reads feeding the corner and passing the ball, a bit surprising for a player in his position.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Found another blurb on Lorentsson from December:

Global Jam & U18 Fred Olsen Basketball Tournament - Top Performers - 12/23/2019

U19 Global Jam Tournament and U18 Fred Olsen Tenerife Tournament were held in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria and Tenerife, Spain. Eurohopes attended both tournaments where participated Gran Canaria (Spain), Estudiantes (Spain), RIG Mark (Sweden), USK Praha (Czech Republic), Strength and Motion International (Sweden), Canterbury (Spain), CB Canarias (Spain), The Skill Factory (USA), Oxygen Bassano (Italy), Stellazzurra Rome (Italy), Real Madrid (Spain) and Joventut Badalona (Spain). The Skill Factory and Real Madrid won each tournament.

Andre Lorentsson (‘01). RIG Mark, 6’8, PF, Sweden
Good size for a four position. Not the greatest athlete but plays with energy and a high IQ. Fluid, executes quickly. Tremendous shooter, his team uses him off the screen where is lethal thanks to a supernatural and fluid motion. Super smart player, makes great reads feeding the corner and passing the ball, a bit surprising for a player in his position.

Position him (AL) in one corner and Gibson in the opposite one with YC handling the ball and see how much HF get double and triple teamed next year.  Oh ya, while you're at it, add JP (as an alternative to AL or GJ) or JG to the group on the floor and I think we might just have the makings of a pretty good team!  Need some defense?  How about FT Jr. getting some time driving our opponent's top scorer nuts!  Need another big to relieve HF or in addition to HF, based on who we are playing?  JB Jr fits that role  Need to play a slasher for 10-20 minutes a game?  Strickland and ahopefully an improved TH Jr, just might be what's needed.

I guess my point is that adding a shooter with some size along with returning GJ can have a significant impact on what we are watching now as would FT Jr..

Looking at how strong the A 10 will be next year, I still don't see anybody that we would not match up with with the squad outlined above, not to mention Jacobs spending time as a backup PG and occasional SG backup to JG.

TAJ, you seem to know the other A 10 teams better than anyone else and who they are returning next year.  (DUQ and Richmond seem like the best to me) Do you see anyone we would be taking a second chair to in 20-21?

bauman --- thank you for the compliment.  Sadly, no, I know nothing more than the hype of the mix tapes players and their entourages put out.  All my scouting and insight comes from watching the teams play through the OOC and conference season. I don't bank on anyone's star ratings until it happens.

From my current perch, here's what I know:

Davidson --- graduates only Jon Axel Gudmundsson provided KiShawn Pritchett asks for and gets a injury redshirt.  And Grady stays for his senior year.  Davidson has three signed LOIs all from kids rated at two stars with one being a 6'8", 215# beanpole from New Zealand.  Collins, Grady, Brajkovic, and Lee are a nice nucleus and McKillop will never get outcoached.  Grady goes and we shall see.  I see him staying; he's nothing that special right now.  

Dayton --- loses it's entire front line in Toppin, Mikesell, Landers and the now-departed Chase Johnson.  I don't see Toppin coming back. This makes Dayton very small in Crutcher, Watson, Chatman and Cohill.  Tshimanga is their only big.  Dayton is redshirting two forwards with one being from Mali.  They've signed three kids all listed at two star level.  They will be smallish next year.

Duquesne ---- will return everyone that kicked our ass this year except Baylee Steele.They will also get Frankie Hughes back from a season-long knee injury.  They have three recruits also committed and are over scholarship limits by 2.  

Fordham --- will forever suck so who cares.

Mason --- only had the senior Kier and he's already gone to injury.  I don't know what to make of Mason. I like Greene and Miller and they have a decent front line but they just can't seem to win. They have three LOIs signed, five open offers and are already overcommitted by 1.

Geedubya --- has a nice nucleus in Battle, Nelson Jr. but loses Potter and a bunch of non-descript seniors liek Arnaldo Toro.  Meh.

La Salle will lose Deas and Phiri which is not that much but will hurt in their rotation.  La Salle seems to be the A10 transfer haven so I never know who they have stashed in a vacant crypt at the Gola Mausoleum.

Umass ---- returns everybody so Mitchell, East, Clergerot, Pierre and others will be back tougher and wise. Verbal Commits shows them full up for next year yet they list 25 open offers.

Rhodey --- loses the heart and soul that is Dowtin and Langevine.  They return Fatts Russell but their other players are pedestrian right now.  They need Harris (if he stays),Walker, Toppin and Martin to all step up.  Winning in Kingston won't be easy to say the least.

Richmond ---- has everybody back but again with little depth.  Tyler Burton shows some promise.  Gusatavson and Wojcik won't win many games by themselves but they'll be older and wiser.  

St. Joe's --- will return everyone but if redshirt Greg Foster isn't the answer at PG, they still have none on the roster.

Bonaventure ---- will lose Ipkeze.  Meh.  You just know Schmidt will get some people up there to no-man's-land, play maddening for ol' Olean U, and be there at the end.  

VCU --- loses a lot, more than Dayton.  Gone will be Evans, Jenkins, Simms, Vann and Crowfield.  Now, Bones Hyland and KeShawn Curry are doing okay now and four-star freshman Jarren McAllister is seeing some time as well. Santos-Silva and Corey Douglas are also back on the front line.  Right now, PF Brown-Jones is the A10's highest rated incoming recruit.

Based on this, yes, Duquesne and Richmond are good picks.  Davidson depends on Grady and Pritchett.  Bonaventure cannot be discounted and VCU will reload.  As to our second chair status ----- I'm not there.  What are my issues?

Bell --- can he do any more than occupy space?  French --- does he have range outside two feet and can he shoot free throws?  Goodwin --- is he our "go to guy" because if so, get an offense.  Collins --- can he shoot anything and make his free throws?  Jacobs ----now you see him, now you don't.  Do we time his release with an hourglass of sand?  Hargrove --- just what can he do?  Jimerson --- does he come back fully healthy?  Our skills have to get better or it will be another year of pack it in and see who must take the shot with two seconds on an expiring clock.  Team-wise i want to know about shooting both from the floor and the line.  Plus, where has our team defense gone?  The Duquesne game exposed a lot of warts that need fixing.  And for some, its too late for this year.

billikenbill, CBFan and Pistol like this

12 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Bell --- can he do any more than occupy space?  French --- does he have range outside two feet and can he shoot free throws?  Goodwin --- is he our "go to guy" because if so, get an offense.  Collins --- can he shoot anything and make his free throws?  Jacobs ----now you see him, now you don't.  Do we time his release with an hourglass of sand?  Hargrove --- just what can he do?  Jimerson --- does he come back fully healthy?  Our skills have to get better or it will be another year of pack it in and see who must take the shot with two seconds on an expiring clock.  Team-wise i want to know about shooting both from the floor and the line.  Plus, where has our team defense gone?  The Duquesne game exposed a lot of warts that need fixing.  And for some, its too late for this year.

Jimmy Bell is still finding his way. Remember, he didn't exactly play a lot in HS/Prep ball. He's also probably adjusting to his new body. But there have been times where he's shown some quickness and good footwork around the basket. What he needs to work on is his D to be more of a rim protector, a nice little 10-15 foot jumper, and to freaking jam the ball plus shatter a few backboards when he gets the opportunities down low. 

Goodwin and French. We've been over their shortcomings so much that it doesn't deserve more analysis. Work on shots further out than 2 feet. But even if their games stay pat, they'll be a force in the A10. Double double guys don't come around that often. So be thankful they're Billikens. 

Hargrove is an up and down fast player. Kid's got energy, and if Ford is serious about pushing the ball, TJ's the guy you want on the receiving end of breaks. He's also got a good looking shot, midrange and 3, if he refines that over the summer, he should be a bigger contributor. As for his D, he's got to do some cramming on Defense 101; positioning, footwork, awareness, getting thru screens, the whole enchilada. Pretty much everything about D basics from A to Z. 

Jimerson- I have a feeling the foot won't be a setback, and he'll shake off any rust in a hurry. 

Yurimania- He's coming on but needs to work on his perimeter and mid range game. He's showing an ability to get to the rim when he makes those full court dashes. A little more control/discipline there wouldn't hurt. He's still a sapling among the trees. A pull up floater or short jumper would be a nice addition. Can't beat his court vision, aggressiveness, and toughness. I just hope he doesn't get hurt. I was surprised when Weathers rear ended him the other night that he got up from that blow. It looked like a speeding bus hitting a Smart Car. 

Jacobs- Cut down on his vacation time big time. Kids got skills, but we see them only occasionally. 

Perkins- Don't fix what ain't broke. Although, a little more bulk wouldn't hurt him. He is indeed Harry Rogers Redux. 

Thatch- Our prayers for a full recovery and a return to form. His work on D is sorely missed right now. Anything he adds to the offense is gravy. 

What we need with the projected open scholies: 1.) French's successor, 2.) another sniper (The Swede?), and depending upon Fred's health status, a backup PG. I think Hankton will be returning to NC. That is why I have two firm openings. 

22 hours ago, Pistol said:

His RIG Mark team is currently first in the South division of the Basketettan and Lorentsson is the second-leading scorer, with a slash line of .673/.452/.880.

After @The Wiz brought to my attention that his slash line looked a little off, I want to point out that the first number on the Eurobasket stat page is 2-point field goals only. So his slash line as we'd normally see it is .547/.452/.880. I've updated his bio on the recruiting lists page to reflect this.

Edit: The updated percentage still has him above Majerus' pure shooter threshold of 1.8 - he's 1.879, still well above that mark.

dennis_w and 3star_recruit like this

38 minutes ago, Pistol said:

After @The Wiz brought to my attention that his slash line looked a little off, I want to point out that the first number on the Eurobasket stat page is 2-point field goals only. So his slash line as we'd normally see it is .547/.452/.880. I've updated his bio on the recruiting lists page to reflect this.

Edit: The updated percentage still has him above Majerus' pure shooter threshold of 1.8 - he's 1.879, still well above that mark.

Thanks ...this makes sense and matches my response to RUBillsFan on Wed at 310 PM...Thanks for clearing that up.

Bottom line....Jimerson Part 2

2 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Thanks ...this makes sense and matches my response to RUBillsFan on Wed at 310 PM...Thanks for clearing that up.

Bottom line....Jimerson Part 2

The way forward has to be a bully ball / splash brothers hybrid.  We're way overweighted to the bully ball side.  But that's going to happen when your best players are the bullies.

Pistol and TheChosenOne like this

An update on Eric Gaines. I don't know how active SLU is still recruiting him, but took an official here. He's blown up since. 

https://n.rivals.com/news/mcdonald-s-nuggets-nba-draft-gonzaga-gambling-picks-more 

A couple of weeks ago, I wrote about

after the Tournament of Champions in Atlanta during the holidays. To sum it up quickly: he’s a high-major talent that schools all over the country need to be tracking if they are in need of a guard next season.

I first saw Gaines in the summer of 2018. My first look was at Georgia’s team camp in June, where he was really impressive. But it was the Battle For Georgia, with all the top teams in the Peach State in July, where he really grew on me. The game just comes easy for him. He has a smooth-looking shot, elite athleticism and he’s a really good passer that makes good decisions with the ball. When he’s locked in, he’s a terror on the defensive end as well.

At that time, he was only about 6-foot-1 and really thin. Over the past 18 months, he’s shot up to about 6-foot-4 and probably has a 6-foot-7 wingspan. After watching him last month, not only do I think he’s a high-major talent but somebody that needs to be ranked comfortably inside the top 100 in the next update. Before the Early Signing Period, he took official visits to Dayton, Georgia State and Saint Louis. Most recently, Washington State extended an offer to the class of 2020 guard. I’m expecting more schools to jump into the mix very soon.

5 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Does anyone know if we have made an offer to Lorentsson? Does Ford like him?

Dont know for sure, but would be surprised if an offer wasn't sent out.  Had a strong showing at what sounds to be a strong field with the tournament last week.  Fits and checks the boxes Ford is looking for. 

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Dont know for sure, but would be surprised if an offer wasn't sent out.  Had a strong showing at what sounds to be a strong field with the tournament last week.  Fits and checks the boxes Ford is looking for. 

If a guy is 6'8" , can walk and crew gum at the same time (or almost at the same time), and SHOOTS 188 ON RICK'S SHOOTING SCALE, get him in a Billiken uniform, Travis, if you can!  We need shooters, especially with TW gone next year.

3star_recruit likes this