Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, ACE said:

We have one full season of data on a healthy Welmer, which we don't have on Thor or Hankton, so the comparison doesn't make sense. Also, unless this kid from Sweden has injury problems I'm not aware of, I don't understand the comparison. Welmer played in 33 games, averaged nearly 8 ppg, 5 rpg and shot 33 of 89  from 3-point for 37%. We'd be thrilled with something resembling that from a stretch big.

What was improving with Welmer at the end of that season was his post game.  I remember Earl commenting on a game towards the end of the season come on kid jam it when your close to the hoop and Welmer did it.  In that game Welmer handled the post position well and I could not wait to see him in his sophomore season but we all know what happened after that season.

IMO Welmer was going to be a handful for teams trying to match up with him much like Rob Loe’s senior season.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Look we don't know what Welmer would have actually done since he was always hurt so why people are so certain that he would have been that good - he was 2 years or more older than his peers which probably means he had hit his ceiling.  Thor had his unique issues with coming in late, the surgery, and who knows what else.  Hankton has been hurt as much as Welmer so hard to say what he can or can not be.

This kid can certainly shoot as evidenced by his stats.  Like someone else said we need shooters and you can not build a program on grad transfers.. 

Thor was never an efficient scorer.  As I recall he scored a bunch for his team in Iceland but never at a good percentage.....

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

I agree that we will have more than just one schollie to give.  Not wanting to predict anything but common sense says it will happen.  We did well with Loe and Ellis so why not him.

Just information here.  In the past 10 years, we have averaged 2.6 early player departures per off season.  We have had two seasons with no departures.  You can remove Graves, Bishop and Henriquez due to unique circumstances, but that still is 2.3 departures per off season.

23 hours ago, wgstl said:

Currently sitting at(11 games) 88% from FT, 45% from 3, 67% FG - good for 18 ppg.  Hes taken more(73) 3's than 2's(55)

If he is 45% from 3 with 73 shots taken ....33/73

If he has taken 55   2s

That means he has taken a total of 128 shots......55 +73 =128

In order to get to that 67% FG%.... he would need 86/128

86 total shots made - 33   3 Pt =  53  2s made

Which means he would be shooting 96% from 2....53/55

Unless he is using a Fisher -Price play school basket,  it doesn't seem probable that he would be shooting 96%  FG%

16 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Just information here.  In the past 10 years, we have averaged 2.6 early player departures per off season.  We have had two seasons with no departures.  You can remove Graves, Bishop and Henriquez due to unique circumstances, but that still is 2.3 departures per off season.

I'm not sure it is fair to include the guys who left (Yarbrough, Reynolds, Bartley) when Travis Ford took over.  Including some Majerus years skews the number higher has well because Majerus was a high turnover coach.  I hope Ford stays at SLU for a long time and if that happens I'd imagine the average number will be somewhere between 1 and 2.

As long as we are losing guys who can't get playing time and want a better opportunity elsewhere instead of losing key pieces, I'm fine with some level of roster churn.

7 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

If he is 45% from 3 with 73 shots taken ....33/73

If he has taken 55   2s

That means he has taken a total of 128 shots......55 +73 =128

In order to get to that 67% FG%.... he would need 86/128

86 total shots made - 33   3 Pt =  53  2s made

Which means he would be shooting 96% from 2....53/55

Unless he is using a Fisher -Price play school basket,  it doesn't seem probable that he would be shooting 96%  FG%

Maybe the 67% is really just his 2pt FG % (that would be 37/55)?  That would make his overall  FG% 55% (70/128).  Still good.  Obviously not as good as 96% on 2s on the Frisher-Price hoop, but he still makes the mark for Majerus' 180 rule.

3 hours ago, ACE said:

We have one full season of data on a healthy Welmer, which we don't have on Thor or Hankton, so the comparison doesn't make sense. Also, unless this kid from Sweden has injury problems I'm not aware of, I don't understand the comparison. Welmer played in 33 games, averaged nearly 8 ppg, 5 rpg and shot 33 of 89  from 3-point for 37%. We'd be thrilled with something resembling that from a stretch big.

Not much to extrapolate to a conclusion which was kind of my point.  

12 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Maybe the 67% is really just his 2pt FG % (that would be 37/55)?  That would make his overall  FG% 55% (70/128).  Still good.  Obviously not as good as 96% on 2s on the Frisher-Price hoop, but he still makes the mark for Majerus' 180 rule.

That would make more sense....I was just going by what wgstl  wrote in his post....maybe he can clear it up.

You are right , if in fact your numbers are correct,  his slash would total 178 and RM use to say he would take a kid sight unseen at 180 and above....so RM might have to see him once...lol

22 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

What's the 180 rule? 2ptFG% +3pt% + FT% should add up to 180? 

17 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

What's the 180 rule? 2ptFG% +3pt% + FT% should add up to 180? 

FG% + 3P%+ FT% =   180+

A recruiting rule that RM use to quote...He felt the sum of the slash was a good way to judge shooters  and said he would take a kid sight unseen if they could hit 180 on the slash

58 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Not much to extrapolate to a conclusion which was kind of my point.  

I guess we'll agree to disagree. I would consider that a pretty promising full season for a player who had three more years of eligibility. A pretty good indication of what a player is capable of. Certainly a lot more to go on than Hankton and Thor - I don't get that comparison.

Ok, so let's theoretically say that Ford likes both Lorentsson and JC big Mahorčič a lot.  So, a little poll, since SLU can and likely would want to only sign one of them ...... who do you want more and why?

Both can shoot from outside but Lorentsson is clearly better.  Mahorčič is bigger in height and overall size and strength but has some history of foot issues.  He is likely a better rebounder and defender.  Lorentsson seems to be a better ball handler and can fast break.

My opinion.  I want that sharp-shooting big.  So Lorentsson is my pick.

CBFan likes this

8 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Ok, so let's theoretically say that Ford likes both Lorentsson and JC big Mahorčič a lot.  So, a little poll, since SLU can and likely would want to only sign one of them ...... who do you want more and why?

Both can shoot from outside but Lorentsson is clearly better.  Mahorčič is bigger in height and overall size and strength but has some history of foot issues.  He is likely a better rebounder and defender.  Lorentsson seems to be a better ball handler and can fast break.

My opinion.  I want that sharp-shooting big.  So Lorentsson is my pick.

I want the one without the foot issues.

Need to start the we want Andre Lorentsson chants.

Hopefully he is thinking I can help these guys I am all in

10 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

He looks like a goon ( as is alice-the-   not hockey.)  If he can shoot as his stats would suggest, I want him....... 

Between he and Jimerson, we have the worst looking and best shooting team in Billiken history.......

You must be 0% gay.

Jimerson is good-looking.

7 hours ago, glazedandconfused said:

Lorentsson at the game tonight. 

Splash bros already building the chemistry

1AD1B340-336C-44AD-BD22-C99548258F80.png

I was at the game tonight sitting opposite the bench. At one point he was walking past other players and I'd guess he was about an inch or two taller than French. Skinny build. He and the guy that was with him recorded the entire team intro on their phones.