Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, CBFan said:

Does this player meet your criteria?

I look to you and Pistol and other recruiting posters for this kind of information I just do not know.

I think he reminds me of a skinny Cody Ellis and if he is that good then sign him and immediately get him cleared by the NCAA.

Shooting over 60% from the field, over 40% from three and over 85% from the line against international competition is absurd.  It's Gibson Jimerson level of absurdity and this guy is 3 inches taller.  To me, it's not even a discussion.  Could you imagine Yuri playing pitch and catch with these two guys on the floor?  Jeezus.

13 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Just curious and I'm sure many on the board know the answer, but when a recruit comes in during the season does he participate in any practice drills? Do they throw him out there with the guys to get a sense of how he stacks up? 

ive heard of like pick up games after practice involving recruits and players. 

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

For some reason I am not excited about this dude.

He looks like a goon ( as is alice-the-   not hockey.)  If he can shoot as his stats would suggest, I want him....... 

Between he and Jimerson, we have the worst looking and best shooting team in Billiken history.......

41 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Shooting over 60% from the line field, over 40% from three and over 85% from the line against international competition is absurd.  It's Gibson Jimerson level of absurdity and this guy is 3 inches taller.  To me, it's not even a discussion.  Could you imagine Yuri playing pitch and catch with these two guys on the floor?  Jeezus.

Thank you 3 star, I am glad that he came in for a visit that at least shows some interest.

57 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

I vote YES! to adding another shooter.  Body still developing (3-4 inches in past year or 2, maybe still growing??); plus I've heard he's a good citizen and solid student.  Get used to the name: Lorentsson from 3! 

I'm actually surprised that some on here don't seem enthusiastic. He's like a perfect fit for our needs, right away, in my view.   For another thing: a (Larry) Bird in the hand is worth not getting anyone who can help next year.  Or poor man's Larry = Detlef Schrempf.  Maybe Lorentsson can be our poor man's Detlef (a name that will send some of our little brothers scrambling to basketball-reference.com, I'm sure...). He was German, btw; and played a long time in the League; nickname the Grand Teuton.  Some of youse guys need to get busy thinking up a good nickname for young Andre!

Doc seems to be hinting pretty heavily that the visit is going well. Hopefully he's got inside info and not just speculation.

Personally, I'd be thrilled to add Lorentsson. We are going to have multiple schollys to give (you'd be naive not to expect some transfers) and need shooters and bigs. He is both.

As to whether Euro players do well in college I'd suggest they are more variable, but not necessarily worse. Some can't hack it and leave quickly while others are really good. They have less similar talent around them to measure against which makes it harder for college coaches to properly evaluate. Even within the same family, you may not know if you are getting a Jon Axel or an Ingvi. 

1 minute ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Thor, Welmer, hankton basically 

You sound like Taj. Gotta get out of the mindset of comparing to previous Billiken disappointments and realize that this kid is a completely different player from a different part of the world and has nothing to do with those other guys.

FWIW, SLU has a good amount of success with Int'l bigs. In this century, what, 4-ish of our top 7 bigs are International.

Loe, Ellis, Vouyoukas & (to a lesser extent) Ohanon ...compared to 3 good bigs we've had from US (Conklin, French, Reed)...probably missing someone, but you get the point. We've had a lot of good come from F/C who are international recruits. 

12 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Thor, Welmer, hankton basically 

I wouldn't throw Welmer in that group. I would be thrilled to get a player who is like a healthy version of Welmer.

You never know about videos, but the kid has a nice stroke and seems like a decent athlete. If he is 6-8 and can do a decent job of defending, while knocking down some 3s that would be awesome. We have Bell and French to provide the muscle, so we don't need him to be a bruiser. Also, how nice would it be to have a player with size, who can make free throws in the final minute of a close game - considering you can't have French in there for those situations.

It seems foreign bigs tend to be more perimeter oriented (Loe and Ellis from our past as examples) so it makes sense that we might have to go overseas to get this type of player.

13 minutes ago, kshoe said:

You sound like Taj. Gotta get out of the mindset of comparing to previous Billiken disappointments and realize that this kid is a completely different player from a different part of the world and has nothing to do with those other guys.

Oh for sure. I’m just a MBM. 

my only actual legitimate statement is i hope he is a legit 6’8. Kind of maxed out on the 6’5 tweeners 

23 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Doc seems to be hinting pretty heavily that the visit is going well. Hopefully he's got inside info and not just speculation.

Personally, I'd be thrilled to add Lorentsson. We are going to have multiple schollys to give (you'd be naive not to expect some transfers) and need shooters and bigs. He is both.

As to whether Euro players do well in college I'd suggest they are more variable, but not necessarily worse. Some can't hack it and leave quickly while others are really good. They have less similar talent around them to measure against which makes it harder for college coaches to properly evaluate. Even within the same family, you may not know if you are getting a Jon Axel or an Ingvi. 

And shooting is a skill that plays if you have a good quick release and form. He'll have to be able to defend but I'll err on the side of a shooter all day

dennis_w likes this

2 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Is this kid a product of Ford Stuen's recruiting trip to Europe a couple months ago? I thought he was in Spain mostly but who knows.

as my wife always says, "well since we're already over here", maybe he took a quick trip up. 

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

I agree that we will have more than just one schollie to give.  Not wanting to predict anything but common sense says it will happen.  We did well with Loe and Ellis so why not him.

52 minutes ago, ACE said:

I wouldn't throw Welmer in that group. I would be thrilled to get a player who is like a healthy version of Welmer.

You never know about videos, but the kid has a nice stroke and seems like a decent athlete. If he is 6-8 and can do a decent job of defending, while knocking down some 3s that would be awesome. We have Bell and French to provide the muscle, so we don't need him to be a bruiser. Also, how nice would it be to have a player with size, who can make free throws in the final minute of a close game - considering you can't have French in there for those situations.

It seems foreign bigs tend to be more perimeter oriented (Loe and Ellis from our past as examples) so it makes sense that we might have to go overseas to get this type of player.

Look we don't know what Welmer would have actually done since he was always hurt so why people are so certain that he would have been that good - he was 2 years or more older than his peers which probably means he had hit his ceiling.  Thor had his unique issues with coming in late, the surgery, and who knows what else.  Hankton has been hurt as much as Welmer so hard to say what he can or can not be.

This kid can certainly shoot as evidenced by his stats.  Like someone else said we need shooters and you can not build a program on grad transfers.. 

4 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Look we don't know what Welmer would have actually done since he was always hurt so why people are so certain that he would have been that good - he was 2 years or more older than his peers which probably means he had hit his ceiling.  Thor had his unique issues with coming in late, the surgery, and who knows what else.  Hankton has been hurt as much as Welmer so hard to say what he can or can not be.

This kid can certainly shoot as evidenced by his stats.  Like someone else said we need shooters and you can not build a program on grad transfers.. 

We have one full season of data on a healthy Welmer, which we don't have on Thor or Hankton, so the comparison doesn't make sense. Also, unless this kid from Sweden has injury problems I'm not aware of, I don't understand the comparison. Welmer played in 33 games, averaged nearly 8 ppg, 5 rpg and shot 33 of 89  from 3-point for 37%. We'd be thrilled with something resembling that from a stretch big.