Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

6 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

his jump shot is what should rule him out....it's brutal.......

I have never seen McKinney play, but if his jump shot is brutal and he couldn't find any playing time at a mid-level SEC team, then maybe he was overrated as a 4* coming out of the V.  Frankly, unless he is a JG clone the last thing I want coming into the Billiken program is a 2-4 position player who can't shoot. 

Here's what I think we need to fill our team up with:    1)  2 PGs spread over a 4-year period, for example two years apart in class, both of whom are average to average+ from the arc;   2)   2 Centers (Are we there with JB and MD?) ;   3)   2 PFs with range out to the arc  and who can rebound (HF and one other until HF graduates);  4)   7 above average shooters spread among the SG and SF positions, with at least 1 or 2 of them above average defenders. 

That's my dream roster of 13 scholarship players.  If you aren't an above average to above average+ shooter, except for categories 2) and 3) above, no need to apply.  We can't continue to have teams with just 2-3 really good shooters.  One additional requirement-if you aren't at least a 60-70% FT shooter (depending on your position) then you better be really good at some other aspect of your game, e.g. defending or rebounding.

Go get em TF and staff!

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, bauman said:

I have never seen McKinney play, but if his jump shot is brutal and he couldn't find any playing time at a mid-level SEC team, then maybe he was overrated as a 4* coming out of the V.  Frankly, unless he is a JG clone the last thing I want coming into the Billiken program is a 2-4 position player who can't shoot. 

he was a 4* because of his athleticism

10 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Sets up nicely for him to come back to the Lou with our scholarship situation in better condition. 

so this means he will enroll next fall, but wont be able to play till January or the following fall?

1 hour ago, bauman said:

I have never seen McKinney play, but if his jump shot is brutal and he couldn't find any playing time at a midlow-level SEC team, then maybe he was overrated as a 4* coming out of the V.  Frankly, unless he is a JG clone the last thing I want coming into the Billiken program is a 2-4 position player who can't shoot. 

FIFY

jimbofive and rgbilliken like this

16 minutes ago, wgstl said:

so this means he will enroll next fall, but wont be able to play till January or the following fall?

If you transfer from a 4 year school to a juco, you have to graduate from the juco before transferring back to a 4 year school.  That's why the plan is for him to rejoin a D-1 team in 2021-2022.

GBL_Bills likes this

52 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If you transfer from a 4 year school to a juco, you have to graduate from the juco before transferring back to a 4 year school.  That's why the plan is for him to rejoin a D-1 team in 2021-2022.

Pardon if I seem a bit dense but if he goes to Logan then why would he not be held to the same standard as you outlined?  In other words how is his situation different? 

3 hours ago, NH said:

In my opinion, the Mizzou history and Vashon connection are both largely irrelevant. The coaching staff will definitely be familiar with Mario both on and off the court. If they think (1) he can be a potential starter for an A-10 championship caliber team and (2) it will go over fine in the locker room, then we should be recruiting him. If either of those answers are no, then I think it should be a pass. I feel like most people will agree that we trust Travis to make the right call on this one.

This is a very reasonable and correct take.

If the dude can help I don’t care if he comes from Mizzou or anywhere else.

4 hours ago, hmart23 said:

Would love to have a relationship with Vashon. Don't know if the McKinney move would fix everything. Does someone have a the unbiased scoop on why it's been so hard to get recruits from Vashon?

2017 (class):  The focus was on securing Goodwin and French.  They talked to Stockard about a visit but it was late in his recruiting process.  They weren't interested in Faris.

2018 (class): No Seniors for Vashon.  It would have been Joseph Reece but he transferred to East Side.  There was some interest by SLU early on.

2019 (class): Ford and Tate had set their eyes on McKinney his Freshmen year.  They would talk to the coaches and briefly to Mario.  Mario had a nice Freshman season as the 6th man.  Helping Vashon win State.  Ford came around again Mario's sophomore year.  The Dad was waiting for them to pull the trigger.  SLU wanted to see more from him.  They kept saying that every open gym they came to in the Fall.  Season started and in Vashon's second game of the season Mario had a big game against Nationally ranked Wheeler out of GA.  Got 5 offers that night....SLU was one of them.  Other schools showed more interest in the recruiting process....then Mizzou came into the picture and established a good relationship with Mario and they moved to the top of the list.

2020 (Class): Fletcher wasn't coming.  Russell...small guard.  He can really shoot it tho.  Don't think they offered but Yuri has locked up PG anyway.  Clark...there was interest but teams were leery because he bounced around AAU teams and for Vashon he played a complimentary role.

2021 (Class): Kerns.  I am not around the team as much as I use to be besides attending a few games but I hear what others have posted about Nick being interested.  Nick is getting better each game as he figures out his role with the Seniors for Vashon.  I think Nick is poised to have a big summer with MoKan as well.

Vashon has a great Freshman class.  A couple of them will have big roles next year.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Pardon if I seem a bit dense but if he goes to Logan then why would he not be held to the same standard as you outlined?  In other words how is his situation different? 

It's not different.  I was explaining why Mario wouldn't be eligible to play D-1 January 2021.  Because he has to graduate with a degree from John A. Logan first.

26 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

It's not different.  I was explaining why Mario wouldn't be eligible to play D-1 January 2021.  Because he has to graduate with a degree from John A. Logan first.

I think that's only the case if you're a non-qualifier out of high school. which wasn't the case. I could be wrong though.

24 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

4 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

I think that's only the case if you're a non-qualifier out of high school. which wasn't the case. I could be wrong though.

So would he have two years or 3 years of eligibility?

12 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

So would he have two years or 3 years of eligibility?

he would be eligible to play spring 2021 I believe. again i’m not 100% positive. technically three years of playing eligibility after this semester. but he’d have to be removed from NCAA a full year before playing D1 again. I think this is the case. 

1 hour ago, hmart23 said:

he would be eligible to play spring 2021 I believe. again i’m not 100% positive. technically three years of playing eligibility after this semester. but he’d have to be removed from NCAA a full year before playing D1 again. I think this is the case. 

If you transfer from a D-1 to a juco, you have to graduate from the juco to make it back to D-1. It's the first requirement in the transfer flowchart:

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/Transfer/DI_4-2-4_Transfer.pdf

1 hour ago, hmart23 said:

Wouldn't he have lost this year and then if he has to go to Logan for a year to graduate from there then he would have only 2 years left - correct?

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

If you transfer from a D-1 to a juco, you have to graduate from the juco to make it back to D-1. It's the first requirement in the transfer flowchart:

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/Transfer/DI_4-2-4_Transfer.pdf

The second part of the flow chart says "if no to any" you can still transfer and receive your scholarship immediatly. and you have to sit out for an academic year of residence. So from only what you said. No you do not have to graduate from the Juco to "make it back to D-1" however it does make it easier and quicker. 

I think it's functionally the same outcome for him either way - since he's at Logan now, he can play in the 2021-2022 season.

If he transfers to a D-I school after this semester, he has to complete two academic semesters at his new school before competing - ready to play in fall 2021.

If he stays at Logan, he would be on track to finish his 2-year degree in spring 2021 and eligible to play at a D-I program in fall 2021.

Same D-I timeline either way.

As for his Instagram post with the 14 school logos, maybe those are just the schools that reached out to him after he entered the transfer portal. I'm not sure he'd really be announcing his "finalists" for a scholarship that won't be signed for another 15+ months and before he has played a minute of JUCO ball. A lot can change and there's no reason to commit this early.

15 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

So he will have 2 or 3 years? 

Also, didn't realize his back court teammate is Jay Scrubb. The #1 Juco player in the Country who has signed with Louisville, and may opt for the NBA in lieu of college. 

2 years, immediately eligible after his 3 semesters at Logan.

He could have 3 years if he were to go to a D-I school this fall, but he'd have to sit out next season. I don't think that's the plan, though.

In previous years, we've done a "Signed Recruit Thread" for each incoming class in order to track their senior/prep seasons. I didn't start one this season because we have a one-man class going into the spring and because Strickland plays for a prep team that doesn't post stats and doesn't have them available in a local paper or anything.

Based on recent social media posts I've seen, Strickland went for 24 and 8 in a win last week and posted a 40-piece the other night. I've heard the staff say a few times lately (including before these games) that he's had a great season and this indeed appears to be the case.

Zink likes this