Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

Just now, Bills_06 said:

To me the biggest is their fans and media that cover them.  They act like they are Kansas when a conversation about playing SLU comes up where it is some crazy idea because they are so much better.  Just recently Gabe Dearmond was asked about better program SLU vs Mizzou and compared the last decade which SLU has been better than Mizzou but he of course then says that is because Mizzou plays in a more difficult conference and Mizzou is just having a bad decade.  There were years over the past 10 the A10 was just as good if not deeper than the SEC.  

HAHAHA a BAD DECADE? When you are saying "we are just having a bad decade," you know things are bad. 

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

How about FT percentage?

mhg

Mahorcic, the big man we've discussed above, is also not a very good FT shooter - currently 56-99 (56.6%) on the season for Moberly. However, he does manage to draw a lot of fouls - 4.3 FTA per game is tied for the most on Moberly and he comes off the bench. Fouling him is also a good strategy, as he's 57.3% from the field on the season.

31 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Mahorcic, the big man we've discussed above, is also not a very good FT shooter - currently 56-99 (56.6%) on the season for Moberly. However, he does manage to draw a lot of fouls - 4.3 FTA per game is tied for the most on Moberly and he comes off the bench. Fouling him is also a good strategy, as he's 57.3% from the field on the season.

The more I hear about him, the more he fits in

49 minutes ago, disgruntledbilliken said:

I don't like Mizzou because their fans have an arrogance when they have won very little that I find annoying. Moreover,  I hope they don't do well on the court because I think it helps us in recruiting.

That being said, a player leaving them while they have a loosing record and potentially coming to us, to me, seems like a win. I don't really see why we dismiss a transfer from Mizzou. We can have other reasons for not wanting McKinney, but him coming from Mizzou does not seem like a very good one. If one of our players (god forbid!) left SLU and transferred to Mizzou, I would be PISSED! I'm sure they feel the same way, even if they won't admit it. 

one of the bes mizzou players ever was ricky frazier, slu transfer

16 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

This is interesting, but I get it. I don't see how he fits on the roster. One of those situations where I hope he goes to G-town and absolutely kills it. 

Oh, I agree.  He doesn't fit the way the roster is constructed now.  I was just speaking in terms to Clark having interest.  Ford has filled that spot and is most likely looking for a big now.   I heard members of the staff were at the game Saturday looking at Kerns tho.

RiseAndGrind and Bills_06 like this

28 minutes ago, Bishop said:

So if McKinney has gone JUCO - that means he would be eligible to rejoin a D1 squad in Jan 2021?

Yes.  From our perspective, that's a better fit because it doesn't take up a scholarship in 2020.

It's more likely that McKinney will spend a full year at juco and sign with a college in spring 2021, though.  

Edit:  Now that I think about it he wouldn't be eligible in Jan 2021.  Once you are considered a part of the 2021 class, that means you wouldn't be eligible for the 2020-2021 season.

1 hour ago, glazedandconfused said:

Why is everyone anti-Mizzou though? Just a combination of their fans/how Mizzou won't play us? Don't need a book, just maybe a few sentences on why the animosity.

the 3 year period in the early 2000's and before that we were constantly subjected to a barrage of tiger fans telling us we were not worthy and how inferior we were.   they show up at our games wearing their black and gold.   the absolute worst overbearing ahole fans in the world.   nope want nothing to do with them.   at this point we have surpassed their program and they need to come to us.   and like i said, if their castoffs cant make it there, they surely arent good enough for a billiken scholarship.   if someone wants to walk on here and their character questions are appropriately answered, then fine.  but otherwise nope.  

6 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

the 3 year period in the early 2000's and before that we were constantly subjected to a barrage of tiger fans telling us we were not worthy and how inferior we were.   they show up at our games wearing their black and gold.   the absolute worst overbearing ahole fans in the world.   nope want nothing to do with them.   at this point we have surpassed their program and they need to come to us.   and like i said, if their castoffs cant make it there, they surely arent good enough for a billiken scholarship.   if someone wants to walk on here and their character questions are appropriately answered, then fine.  but otherwise nope.  

“A10 Tournament MVP Tramaine Isabell is not good enough for a Billiken scholarship” because a few mean tiger fans were mean to Billiken Roy in 2001

NextYearBill likes this

2 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

“A10 Tournament MVP Tremaine Isabell is not good enough for a Billiken scholarship” because a few mean tiger fans were mean to Billiken Roy in 2001

context.    i said earlier, that if he wants to go away and prove he is fixed like isabell did, fine.   but you seem to have a history of taking things out of context.   par for the course. 

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

context.    i said earlier, that if he wants to go away and prove he is fixed like isabell did, fine.   but you seem to have a history of taking things out of context.   par for the course. 

so no mizzou players can come straight to SLU because a few tiger fans were mean? How is that any better haha

The one thing people are leaving out, which I think is big for us - Vashon. McKinney would help strengthen a relationship that is starting to reach new heights. That, cant hurt. Vashon is becoming a powerhouse again, and theres not a shortage insight. 

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

The one thing people are leaving out, which I think is big for us - Vashon. McKinney would help strengthen a relationship that is starting to reach new heights. That, cant hurt. Vashon is becoming a powerhouse again, and theres not a shortage insight. 

ding ding ding. 

Kern in 2021 

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

The one thing people are leaving out, which I think is big for us - Vashon. McKinney would help strengthen a relationship that is starting to reach new heights. That, cant hurt. Vashon is becoming a powerhouse again, and theres ndot a shortage insight. 

Would love to have a relationship with Vashon. Don't know if the McKinney move would fix everything. Does someone have a the unbiased scoop on why it's been so hard to get recruits from Vashon?

24 minutes ago, wgstl said:

We have to be careful about taking kids just because we want to build a relationship with a high school or AAU program.  If you do that, and the kid's time here works out well, then it would be good for the relationship.  If the kid comes and his time here isn't the best situation, then bringing him in can be harmful to the relationship.  The best policy is to bring in guys solely based upon who Ford and the staff believes will best help the team.  Let the "relationship" cards fall where they may.

1 minute ago, cgeldmacher said:

The best policy is to bring in guys solely based upon who Ford and the staff believes will best help the team.

first and foremost.

im  saying when deciding if someone wants an ex-tiger or not. 

In my opinion, the Mizzou history and Vashon connection are both largely irrelevant. The coaching staff will definitely be familiar with Mario both on and off the court. If they think (1) he can be a potential starter for an A-10 championship caliber team and (2) it will go over fine in the locker room, then we should be recruiting him. If either of those answers are no, then I think it should be a pass. I feel like most people will agree that we trust Travis to make the right call on this one.

Billiken Rich, dlarry and Zink like this

6 minutes ago, NH said:

In my opinion, the Mizzou history and Vashon connection are both largely irrelevant. The coaching staff will definitely be familiar with Mario both on and off the court. If they think (1) he can be a potential starter for an A-10 championship caliber team and (2) it will go over fine in the locker room, then we should be recruiting him. If either of those answers are no, then I think it should be a pass. I feel like most people will agree that we trust Travis to make the right call on this one.

I guess I didn't mean only for the McKinney recruitment. I just don't understand where the negativity in the relationship comes from between SLU and Vashon. 

Just now, hmart23 said:

I guess I didn't mean only for the McKinney recruitment. I just don't understand where the negativity in the relationship comes from between SLU and Vashon. 

floyd was denied opportunity to be the slu coach long long time ago.  wouldnt surprise me a bit  still keeps the door closed.