Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/18/2020 at 8:06 PM, 3star_recruit said:

What top big man grad transfer would you have wanted from last year's class?

Just looking at this region - Barret Benson to SIU and 6-8 Lamont West to Missouri State - shooting 35% from 3 and get this - 95% from the free throw line. Either of those guys would have looked good in SLU blue. It is possible for a program like SLU to get a quality grad transfer big. They don't just automatically go to the elite programs.

42 minutes ago, ACE said:

Just looking at this region - Barret Benson to SIU and 6-8 Lamont West to Missouri State - shooting 35% from 3 and get this - 95% from the free throw line. Either of those guys would have looked good in SLU blue. It is possible for a program like SLU to get a quality grad transfer big. They don't just automatically go to the elite programs.

West was a special case.  Dana Ford was the first coach to offer him out of high school.  They had a pre-existing relationship.  West wasn't on the market a week before Mo State snatched him up.

I was promoting Benson on this board as soon as he became available last March.  I think the staff was waiting on a better class of big.  Benson averaged 2.2 ppg for a bad Northwestern team.  If the staff was holding out for something better, I think that was a mistake.  Aircraft carriers with a soft touch around the basket are a matchup problem in mid-major conferences.

7 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

West was a special case.  Dana Ford was the first coach to offer him out of high school.  They had a pre-existing relationship.  West wasn't on the market a week before Mo State snatched him up.

I was promoting Benson on this board as soon as he became available last March.  I think the staff was waiting on a better class of big.  Benson averaged 2.2 ppg for a bad Northwestern team.  If the staff was holding out for something better, I think that was a mistake.  Aircraft carriers with a soft touch around the basket are a matchup problem in mid-major conferences.

I'm not blaming Ford and the staff... considering just how many scholarships they had to fill last year, they put together a tremendous recruiting class. Just pointing out that a program like SLU can land a decent grad transfer big in the future. I have a lot of confidence in this staff's ability to turn over every stone and put together a talented roster. 

23 minutes ago, ACE said:

I'm not blaming Ford and the staff... considering just how many scholarships they had to fill last year, they put together a tremendous recruiting class. Just pointing out that a program like SLU can land a decent grad transfer big in the future. I have a lot of confidence in this staff's ability to turn over every stone and put together a talented roster. 

Benson would have been a huge help no doubt. i'm (finally) over Dayton and excited about the rest of this year and next. 

I want McKinney and a grad big to round out this class. (I know there aren't enough schollies available at this point, but I am confident there will be by the off season)

34 minutes ago, ACE said:

Depends on what you mean by decent grad transfer big.  I can guarantee that there would have been a negative backlash on this board had we signed a grad transfer big who averaged 2.2 ppg for a bad high major team. But it turns out he was a good fit for a less talented team playing weaker competition.

7 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Depends on what you mean by decent grad transfer big.  I can guarantee that there would have been a negative backlash on this board had we signed a grad transfer big who averaged 2.2 ppg for a bad high major team. But it turns out he was a good fit for a less talented team playing weaker competition.

Well I don't think the staff tailors their recruiting strategy to how well they think it will go over with a few MBMs - at least I hope not.

As I mentioned in the 2021 recruiting thread, Frank had Tony Irons on his show today. Tony said that he was going to be meeting with McKinney and his father today to talk about Mario's future. Apparently they let Mario make his own decision the first time around and his dad will have more input when it comes to his next destination.

Frank later said on the show that he's heard there is a chance Mario goes the D2 route to re-establish himself.

1 minute ago, SLURadioBoy said:

As I mentioned in the 2021 recruiting thread, Frank had Tony Irons on his show today. Tony said that he was going to be meeting with McKinney and his father today to talk about Mario's future. Apparently they let Mario make his own decision the first time around and his dad will have more input when it comes to his next destination.

Frank later said on the show that he's heard there is a chance Mario goes the D2 route to re-establish himself.

thats, interesting. hes just 6 mo into a career in which he started off as a 4 star. 

9 minutes ago, willie said:

I don’t get the McKinney interest by this board. The kid couldn’t play at a very mediocre Missouri. It wasn’t like he was playing behind a bunch of All Americans. We don’t need whatever role he might play. 

Martin ain’t a great coach so I’m reserving judgment 

11 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Would make sense if he doesn’t want to sit out 

I guess im unaware of D2 rules. So he can just go play there next year and come back to D1 without sitting out at all?