Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking ahead to next year we have 7 guys (incl Strickland) who could be considered 2s or 3s. We have 4 interior players and one PG. 

I don't know why we need to add another wing by bringing in McKinney. Now granted this could change depending upon Fred's health. If it goes against him, I could see McKinney being added, but until that's definite, we don't appear shorthanded at the 2 and 3.

We do need a future replacement for French, however. Or even a backup for Yuri. Point being, I don't see a need for McKinney at this point. Of course, subject to change pending any transfer exits or career ending injuries  we may experience in the future. 

9 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Looking ahead to next year we have 7 guys (incl Strickland) who could be considered 2s or 3s. We have 4 interior players and one PG. 

I don't know why we need to add another wing by bringing in McKinney. Now granted this could change depending upon Fred's health. If it goes against him, I could see McKinney being added, but until that's definite, we don't appear shorthanded at the 2 and 3.

We do need a future replacement for French, however. Or even a backup for Yuri. Point being, I don't see a need for McKinney at this point. Of course, subject to change pending any transfer exits or career ending injuries  we may experience in the future. 

This is what Coach314 said a page or so back and I think that's really the beginning and end of the discussion.  Otherwise you get a combo guard with point skills in 2021 to back up Yuri and keep it moving.  Goodwin and Jacobs can cover until then.

32 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

This is what Coach314 said a page or so back and I think that's really the beginning and end of the discussion.  Otherwise you get a combo guard with point skills in 2021 to back up Yuri and keep it moving.  Goodwin and Jacobs can cover until then.

All things being equal id rather have Fred 

Billiken Rich likes this

10 hours ago, kshoe said:

Given Coach314’s connection to Vashon that would seem like the likely player. His stats are nothing to write home about (5 ppg and 3.3 rpg) but we definitely need depth on the frontcourt.

Yeah, that possibility is nothing to get excited about. I believe the only double digit scoring game of his career was against us. We basically left him alone and focused on defending Sneed and everybody else. Since that game, he's back to getting 2, 4 points a game. He would be a back-up big to get a few minutes when Bell and French get into foul trouble. There would be a limited role, but finding a comparable or better player shouldn't be that difficult, if it doesn't materialize.

9 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

All things being equal id rather have Fred 

Absolutely. Fred is a key member of our team. Getting him back and healthy is a bigger deal than anyone we are recruiting currently, in my mind.

slu72 likes this

28 minutes ago, ACE said:

Yeah, that possibility is nothing to get excited about. I believe the only double digit scoring game of his career was against us. We basically left him alone and focused on defending Sneed and everybody else. Since that game, he's back to getting 2, 4 points a game. He would be a back-up big to get a few minutes when Bell and French get into foul trouble. There would be a limited role, but finding a comparable or better player shouldn't be that difficult, if it doesn't materialize.

I disagree.  Convincing a three-star big in the spring to come play a support role when you already have French and Bell is difficult.  Three-star bigs in the spring are a hot commodity.  If you already have an in with a backup big on a high-major team, you take it.

Zink likes this

9 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I disagree.  Convincing a three-star big in the spring to come play a support role when you already have French and Bell is difficult.  Three-star bigs in the spring are a hot commodity.  If you already have an in with a backup big on a high-major team, you take it.

I agree, feels like the only reason we would get him is for the hometown discount. 

51 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I never said I wouldn't take him (I mentioned he would fill a niche), just wouldn't be overly excited about it. This staff has shown they can recruit, and I'm confident they could land a comparable or better player if it doesn't materialize with this kid.

4 minutes ago, ACE said:

I never said I wouldn't take him (I mentioned he would fill a niche), just wouldn't be overly excited about it. This staff has shown they can recruit, and I'm confident they could land a comparable or better player if it doesn't materialize with this kid.

This staff has struggled to get additional bigs

3 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

This staff has struggled to get additional bigs

Foreman, French, Bell - they also landed Santos, Johnson and Gordon (although those ended poorly). Getting bigs has not been a problem. Keeping them has. I have faith this staff can find a good fit. 

CBFan likes this

3 minutes ago, ACE said:

Foreman, French, Bell - they also landed Santos, Johnson and Gordon (although those ended poorly). Getting bigs has not been a problem. Keeping them has. I have faith this staff can find a good fit. 

keep winning and it'll get easier 

Send McKinney to Delaware.  If he leads that conference in scoring, then we will take him in a couple years as a grad transfer.  :D

In Ford I trust.  We are 14-3 and playing a fun brand of basketball.  I'd be disappointed if we took a Mizzou retread with baggage (or so it seems).  

He is a 6'1 3 star shooting guard who couldn't find minutes on a team we are much better than.  I'd be shocked if he comes here.   

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Sure they are a hot commodity but so is playing for coach Ford and SLU.  SLU will win at least 20 games this season and at least should play in the NIT.  A freshman big like Donte Houston comes in and plays when French and Bell are resting on a loaded NCAA tournament team and will start the next season because French graduates.  Can other teams offer more than that to a freshman big?

32 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Sure they are a hot commodity but so is playing for coach Ford and SLU.  SLU will win at least 20 games this season and at least should play in the NIT.  A freshman big like Donte Houston comes in and plays when French and Bell are resting on a loaded NCAA tournament team and will start the next season because French graduates.  Can other teams offer more than that to a freshman big?

When Toppin declares for the draft in the spring, that same player can go play 20 min for a team that was top 15 this year.  Or he could go to any number of high major tournament teams who graduate a starting big this year - Ohio State, Michigan and Auburn just for starters.  These are just the programs I'm familiar with.  I'm sure are plenty of others.

There's no shame in recognizing your place in the pecking order and recruiting strategically. Our best chance of landing an impact big is when we have the minutes to offer.

20 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Agree and disagree.   Agree that getting a big in the Spring is ALWAYS tough.  Limited supply and extra demand results in guys going to "higher" level programs than they should.   Great for these kids in the short run - and even better for their AAU and high school coaches to take credit for sending their player to such a high/bigger name program - but often not so good for the recruit himself.   

But if a recruit is a looking for an opportunity - and an opportunity both at a team that will be good/win AND which has room for both immediate and future playing time, the presence of French (who will be a Senior and who doesn't play at the end of close games) and of Bell (a Sophomore near 7 footer/center only type player) who is playing only 10-15 minutes per game, and seeing that our only other recruit is a guy who plays the 2-3 positions - I would say that SLU would be an ideal fit for a young big.

CBFan likes this